Author Topic: BLUEBIRD LAND SPEED RECORD TEAM WANTS YOUR ???  (Read 1769 times)

velocity

BLUEBIRD LAND SPEED RECORD TEAM WANTS YOUR ???
« on: June 07, 2011, 10:06:10 PM »
Got this today from over the pond, not a great speed, but at least the guy is trying to keep the family racing name alive and dynamic -- LandSpeed Louise

History will repeat itself on Saturday 2 July and Sunday 3 July at Pendine Sands, Carmarthenshire, when Don Wales, grandson of Sir Malcolm Campbell MBE, will attempt to set speed records in his car Bluebird.

In 1924, Malcolm Campbell achieved his first World Land Speed Record of 146.16mph at Pendine Sands. This begun a long history of record breaking by the Campbell family.

Don Wales, grandson of Sir Malcolm Campbell MBE and nephew of Donald Campbell CBE, started his record-breaking career in 1998 when he broke the UK Land Speed Record for an electric car.

Wales subsequently raised the electric record to 137mph at Pendine Sands in 2000 and in 2009 he broke the world speed record for a steam car at 148mph.

He now plans a world land speed record attempt for an electric car in 2013, aiming for more than 500mph. As preparation for this, Wales and his team will conduct speed trials at Pendine Sands on the weekend of 2/3 July 2011 – with the additional aim of establishing new UK electric car records. In recognition of his family heritage, Wales' speed record cars are all named Bluebird.

When Malcolm Campbell broke records at Pendine Sands, he was helped considerably by local volunteers – including with accommodation and marshalling. Indeed, the record attempts would not have been possible without such generous help and support of the local community.

Don Wales is now appealing for similar support during the weekend of 2/3 July 2011. He says: "I have a team of up to 30 people requiring accommodation and feeding and volunteers are needed to help as course marshals and fodders (people who remove debris from the sands).

Without a principal sponsor as yet, the development of the car is taking all of what limited budget we have. I hope people will revive the spirit of the 1920s and volunteer to help."

If you would like to help continue the Bluebird heritage please get in touch with Rebecca Nicholls on Tel: 01452 260063, email: rebecca@bluebirdspeedrecords.com

Supporters and enthusiasts can follow the progress of Don Wales and Bluebird by signing up on the website. www.bluebirdspeedrecords.com to receive the latest news.

The team can also be followed on Twitter at @bluebirdspeed and Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluebird-Speed-Records/174745655870142

Offline ski123

Re: BLUEBIRD LAND SPEED RECORD TEAM WANTS YOUR ???
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 11:55:51 AM »
Will this car go faster then the North American Eagle in 2011?

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 12:01:23 PM »
Will this car go faster then the North American Eagle in 2011?

I guess that depends, how fast has NAE run in 2011 or will it run in 2011?

J

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 01:07:27 PM »
Will this car go faster than Ohio State University Electric Streamliner?

I will not hold my breath.

I believe it will take years to get even close, and OSU isn't done yet.
Last year they switched back to batteries and with the help of A123 I have the feeling they will go much faster than in the past.

I hope Roger is still the pilot.

Rick

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 02:59:49 PM »
I take it the NAE 'question' was a joke at Ed Shadles expense. 

Whilst Pendine Sands were once able to give seven miles of firm sands the longest length of track Don has been able to use is about 3 and 1/4 miles and the maximum will only ever be 3 and 3/4 miles.  There is a bomb pit at the east end, which as its name implies is where the army ordnance is fired from the test ranges.

The car being used by the Bluebird Team this year in the UK is not the 500 mph design, it is the 2000 car in a remodelled form. 

The 500 mph design has been penned by the systems designer of Thrust SSC - Jerry Bliss.

The last car to got over 175 mph at Pendine (a supercar) spun on a soft patch of sand and lost rear bodywork.  It was scheduled to be driven by a blind driver to over 200 mph.  There are problems with this surface!

Malcolm
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.