Author Topic: What ?  (Read 12250 times)

Offline Uncle Jimbo

Re: What ?
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2013, 02:32:47 PM »
Lookin good Racer - Are you doing your own body works (fairing & tail section) also ?
I am jealous though - your garage looks wayyyy more organized then mine.
Have fun with the build, and keep us posted with the progress.   :cheers:

Jimbo
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Offline maj

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2013, 03:37:37 PM »
Racer , your bike would have to run as time only or FIM based on this yrs interpretation of the rules

My bike is not disimilar, made long to get a particular weight bias and aero shape
i considered making it shorter to fit in MPS but i would have to rebuild the swingarm, weight boxes and a lot of the bodywork i have spent several yrs on
then i may upset the handling,
 currently the bike handles very well , it has not given me any speed wobbles and i can run SCTA, and FIM so i am not inclined to change it 

Offline RacerX9623

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2013, 04:13:33 PM »
I am making the back mess myself. I am going to air tech for something slippery up front.

I want to build it to AMA rules.
trying to go 200 KPH with a 250cc four stroke.

Offline sabat

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2013, 10:52:30 AM »
Here's another way of looking at this issue - by comparing the current SCTA records for naked bikes (removing the obvious benefit of the enclosed tailsection) in Modified and Altered. In theory, the Altered bikes should be faster, right? Not the case.

These are averages of Gas and Fuel records, but the effect is the same in both categories.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2013, 02:04:45 AM »
Dean, do you have a curve for production bikes?  That might be real interesting.

Offline sabat

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2013, 10:21:56 AM »
Sorry, I just sampled the naked classes.

Also, the graph above is wrong. Stainless posted in another thread about the 1000cc SCTA records on the web are incorrect - here's the fixed version. Still no advantage for Altered.

Dean

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2013, 11:27:31 AM »
Still no advantage for Altered.

The altered records are all modified frames. Everyone is trying to justify running a modified frame in altered. If it looks like a motorcycle frame, then run it in modified.

If you want to run in altered, build something as low and aerodynamic as possible. Motorcycles are built high to get clearance to turn and have terrible aerodynamics. Think streamliner running naked or partially streamlined. And without the roll cage.

That's what the class was designed for. Why would you do anything else?
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline sabat

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2013, 12:01:40 PM »
Still no advantage for Altered.

The altered records are all modified frames. Everyone is trying to justify running a modified frame in altered. If it looks like a motorcycle frame, then run it in modified.

If you want to run in altered, build something as low and aerodynamic as possible. Motorcycles are built high to get clearance to turn and have terrible aerodynamics. Think streamliner running naked or partially streamlined. And without the roll cage.

I'm pretty sure that some of the larger displacement records were set with double-engine, custom frame bikes.

Offline joea

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2013, 06:47:05 PM »
The altered records are nearly all running modified engines. Everyone is trying to justify running a modified engine in altered. If it looks like oem motorcycle engine pieces and induction systems, then run it in modified.

If you want to run in altered, build something as powerful as possible. Motorcycles are built to get long life and decent gas mileage. Think innovation...