Author Topic: Is there such a thing as a good bandaid?  (Read 3836 times)

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Is there such a thing as a good bandaid?
« on: June 07, 2011, 01:22:07 AM »
This is LSR related because everyone building a car or bike needs lots of bandaids. I am really tired of bandaids falling off because they get wet or oily. I have tried bandaids that say they are waterproof, sport bandaids, high-strength, etc. They all fall off after a day or even a few hours.

Does anyone know of a brand that actually will stay on despite water, oil, wear and tear? Your LSR brothers will thank you.
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Is there such a thing as a good bandaid?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 01:33:09 AM »
Put a wad of unused toilet paper on the wound to soak up the blood and tie it down with lotsa duct tape.  It hurts when you pull the tape off.  We are racers so that does not bother us.

Offline Mac

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 02:14:57 AM »
Heavy duty fabric bandaids usually stay on. Pair that with rubber gloves and you have waterproofing. A layer of duct tape also works well too.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 02:27:46 AM »
When I have a cut I use super glue, works fast :-D.  Before you laugh ask your doctor, its starting to get more prevalent in sports medicine now http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/treatinginjuries/a/supergluecuts.htm  Tony
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 02:32:46 AM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 08:11:33 AM »
Medical grade super glue has been used for years. For a while was not so easy to get, FDA and all that coming from Canada or something. I am not sure if the hardware store stuff is really any different- perhaps sterility- but for minor cuts certainly can work. Wash cut well first and be carefull you don't glue your fingers together while you are at it! Moisture starts the process and goes fast as you all know.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 08:13:02 AM »
There is actually a medical grade superglue that comes in individual use applicators.  One of our friends is in the medical field and just glued a 1.5 inch cut received when a 2x4 I was using for a mockup piece in the shop addition I am building found my forehead.  It is used a lot these days instead of stitches
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 09:25:19 AM »
If not mistaken, Super glue was originally formulated for battle field situations.
As kids, we used tons of it to build RC planes and gliders. It does wonders for mishaps if you do not need a paper bag to collect all the pieces.

Oh, acetone works very well to disolve it from between stuck fingers. (nail polish remover)

John
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 09:51:27 AM »
If not mistaken, Super glue was originally formulated for battle field situations.
As kids, we used tons of it to build RC planes and gliders. It does wonders for mishaps if you do not need a paper bag to collect all the pieces.

Oh, acetone works very well to disolve it from between stuck fingers. (nail polish remover)

John
How about from stuck eyelids? Have seen people put it in their eyes instead of some drop or ointment they are supposed to use. And we do use to glue corneal ulcers (with a contact on top) in urgent situations where suturing or transplant are not appropriate.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 10:44:37 AM »
Real men just put wheel bearing grease on it, wrap a shop rag around it and tape it up with 200mph tape and go back to work.
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 11:13:05 AM »
just glued a 1.5 inch cut received when a 2x4 I was using for a mockup piece in the shop addition I am building found my forehead.
Stainless! If you were nicer to your co-workers you wouldn't be fixing 2x4 wounds to your head. :cheers:
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline tomsmith

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 11:35:15 AM »
If you don't want to use "super glue", drug stores handle a liquid bandage in the band-aid section.  liquid/superglue works a lot better than anything else I've tried on fingers and other places with compound curves or a lot of flexing.  There are a few different brands; a picture of one is attached (maybe).  I also accidentally use super glue from time to time.

139mph with no bike, but with speedo and helmet.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 02:32:59 PM »
For small cuts in locations where you cannot keep a bandaid on like the side of the pad of your finger, newskin works quite well. It is a liquid that dries to a tough coating that does not come off easily and seals the cut against contamination.

Fair warning it will sting when you first put it on. It has been around for about 100 years and still available. I keep a bottle in my first aid kit for those problem cuts that you just can't get to seal or keep a bandaid on.

http://www.amazon.com/NEW-SKIN-LIQUID-BANDAGE-BOTTLE/dp/B0006GDBT0

Larry

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 02:40:03 PM »
Yep Dean, I hear ya there....

Doug, now we know how you made it to 70, I soaked through a couple of blue paper shop towels trying to slow it down, no joy.... the damn glue does mat your hair a little though.

Larry, reminds me, ever use the clear Mercurochrome?  Used it on the kid once, he was afraid it would sting, I showed him the bottle... thought it said no sting..... wrong  :x it says no stain.... boy was he pissed at dad for a while
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 02:43:41 PM »
I have a 10 inch back surgery scar on my back that was glued together, no stitches at all. Some badas% stuff !

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 02:56:53 PM »
The trick with newskin is to put on a very thin layer on the first application so it dries quickly and seals the wound, then follow up with a couple more layers to get a good tough cover on the injury. If you glop on a big puddle of the stuff it will take a long time to dry and will sting like the blazes due to the alcohol in it.

It is basically the same stuff as the toughskin material used in athletics, it dries to a tough layer that adheres strongly to the skin (if it was cleaned when it was applied), and it will hold cuts closed and sealed when nothing else works.

Yes I have used both the standard and clear Mercurochrome when I was a kid my Mom used Mercurochrome often -- it served as negative reinforcement for me to do stupid things and cut myself.

Larry