Author Topic: Fire Suit  (Read 3876 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Fire Suit
« on: June 02, 2011, 11:21:43 PM »
I've been researching firesuits lately since I'll eventually need to buy one. In my class, B/GMS, I'll need an SFI-15 but I think I'll just go to a -20 instead for some extra protection. There are quite a few choices of manufacturers who make suits from Nomex and only a couple who produce Carbon-X suits. The Carbon-X suits look like they have a clear advantage from the standpoint of fire protection and, so it is claimed, comfort.

My question is "Has anyone had any experience--good or bad-- with Carbon-X? Your opinions are solicited on other safety stuff, too-- head socks, gloves, shoes, socks, helmets, etc.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Fire Suit
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 09:27:38 AM »
The question is do you have room for all the fluff of a normal 20... about an inch... everywhere.... and is the cost difference worth having a thinner more comfortable suit.  Both meet the spec so protection should be equal.  
If you watch dragracing notice the suits that the Funnies and TF guys are wearing....

We use a regular 15... the fluff could be considered crash protection as it helps fill the cockpit.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 02:27:23 PM »
Stainless;

When you say "...regular 15" do you mean Nomex?

Thanks, Neil   Tucson, AZ

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 04:09:04 PM »
Don't know nuttin' about Carbon-X, but it's good reasoning to buy a 20 for just a few $$$ more than a 15.  When I bought mine from Bob Stroud, I asked him if the 20 was more uncomfortable than the 15.  He said, "No, they're both uncomfortable."  I've never found them so.  I like to get in early and accustom myself to the environment.  Plus you never know when you'll need the extra protection -- determined by the Rules or the circumstances.  Or even someone else's car! 

Same with the umbrella shielding your eyes from the sun.  Get the starter's go-ahead and they whip it back and you can't see.  Especially on morning return runs.  Better get used to it out in front of you because it's not gonna go away (Roadster Drivers may ignore the directional implications).

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 11:37:20 PM »
yes, our Simson 15 is Nomex, don't think there was carbon when we got it. 

Stan, too much sweat in the suit will steam you like a lobster if something untoward happens.
Stainless

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 12:09:16 AM »
  Stainless, I just don't agree at all.  No fire suit is going to save your Acura (there Slim, I did it for you) if you don't get the fire out, but a 20 is a hell of a lot better than a 15.
 Since I installed and started wearing a cool shirt, I don't mind the SFI 20 suit nearly as much as I used to.  And if room is a problem, you can get it with a freon canister or soft bag which I use, and it can stow anyplace, even under your legs.
  The real point I would like to make is to not go by the rule book minimum, rather pack as much fire extinguishment as you have room for.
  If you go thru the five mile at 250 on fire, first they have to see it, second they have to catch you, and thirdly they may have to extricate you from a fire that no fire suit will withstand for long.
  I personally have 35 pounds on board with 20 going to the engine (where the fire is most likely to be) and 15 pounds spraying the cab area.
  Remember, spare fire bottles don't help much in the trailer...................... Bob
Bob Drury

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 12:35:06 AM »
I agree with Bob, cant go wrong with over kill.  When the unthinkable happens (hope it never does) its a long time to sit there and wait for help. Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 01:08:38 AM »
  Tony, I now wear my Kool Shirt to check you your latest avitar's   :-o :-D :-o :-D  Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 10:04:59 AM »
Stainless --

You're probably right, as usual.  Two years ago I witnessed a bike rider whose engine had blown, caught on fire and he rode it out.  His injuries were from parboiling inside his leathers.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 11:27:20 AM »
Hey Bob, when you're done with your run this year can I borrow your cool shirt... no not the pink one with the big flowers...  :roll: the racing Cool Shirt.  :-D 
Stainless

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 12:39:53 PM »
  Stainless, after I wear it no one will want near it............ it's sewn to my shorts.............   :roll:
  Seriously, when Stringfellow and Kirk crashed last year, I was next in line on the long course, and the starter hadn't been told at that point how long it would be for cleanup.  
  After about five minutes, he sent someone over to tell me it would be a while, and I chose to stay in the car.............  between my Kool shirt, and my helmet cooler I just sat there and "chilled".  
  I actually would shut the shirt switch off every few minutes because it was too darn cold.
  Keep in mind I was wearing nomex "long john's" and a nomex head sock besides the SFI 20 suit.  
  As a small note, I looked at a "comerciallly sold" helmet cooler on line that was over $300. bought the same fan from Grainger for $35., bought a small Igloo "six pack " ice cooler, installed some 1" coiled tubing, and clear coiled hose from a roundy round supplier, and walaa... spent less that $100. on the whole enchelada.  
  With the new rule last year I had to buy fire resistant covering for the hose, and I also wrapped the intake and fan unit.
  If I knew how to post pictures I would show you the inlet.......... its a 56' Cadillac Limo rear air conditioning vent turned backwards and mounts on the top of the rear quarter panel.
  I installed a identical setup on the opposite side which ducts air from a second fan (identical to the cooler fan) and pulls smoke and fumes from inside the car.               Bob
 p.s. the helmet cooler box also holds one twelve ounce can of your favorite beverage........... :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
  Stan, what about when all you roadster guy's pee your pants during a spin?  That ought to boil your tough old hide ... or at least tan it..... :evil:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 12:48:51 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 01:11:26 PM »
Being that Neil is from Tucson he is probably able to get by with out the cooling apparatus.  We use to have the choice of nomex, or carbon X suits when doing electrical hot work before I retired, the carbon X was cooler and lighter.  The boss didn't like the extra cost of the carbon X.

Steve     
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 10:48:06 AM »
What about this new Endura and Kevlar blend suits  vs Nomex ?

anyone have any thoughts ?

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline shawnf

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 12:32:56 AM »
This will be my first year racing and have been building a 87 Camaro to run in AGALT so I needed a -20 suit (looking to go 200mph+).  I am an overkill person so after all the research and talking to some drag fuel guys I picked the Sparco X-light -20 suit.  Got it from Biondo back east as they were recomended by Sparco.  I ended up getting a two piece instead of a custom tailored suit.  The suit is awesome and for a -20 suit it breathes really well.  Don't get me wrong it is still a -20 suit but I was going to use a older Deist -20 suit and wow the difference is significant.  Sparco's X-light is their form of Carbon-X and the suit is 7 layers thick.  I ended up ditching my Deist -20 gloves for their -20 gloves and that was a huge step up too.  They are pricey as it was about $2k for the suit and gloves but when it comes to my comfort and safety this wasn't and area that I wanted to skimp on.  Biondo was great to deal with as well.  I plan on getting a coolshirt too and probably running the Carbon-X underwear as well. 

Bob- What did you wrap your helmet ducting with or did you replace it with something other than the standard spiral vinyl line?

Thank you,

Shawn F.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 01:21:11 AM »
  Shawn, I used Thermo Tec Express fireproof sleeving from Jeg's. Twelve feet of 1 1/2" diameter cost's a hundred buck's.  It is held in place with velcro, and I bought a roll of alluminum tape at Home Depot (with the air ducting supplies) and taped over the velcro seam just for good measure.
  If your hose is larger (1" or 1 1/4" is plenty big and probably what the helmet inlet will be) you can always double the sleeving up.
  To cover the fan and inlet I bought some flat material from Thermo Tec and cut to fit.  One thing I forgot to mention in my earlier post is you will have to build small adaptor fittings for the supply side of the fan to accomodate the small hose to the cooler.
  Incidently, some of the helmet manufacturers will retrofit your helmet or you might look online under helmet coolers ( Freshairsytems.com) and see what they offer.  That's what I did with my first helmet because I didn't build my cooler until I lost seventeen pounds at my first Speed Week (the 50th) and I swear most of it was inside of the car.
  I would recomend the side outlet on the helmet if you are tall so you don't rip it off on the roll cage during climbing in or out of the car.  Otherwise, the top outlet is easier to run the hose to the helmet.  I found a way to route mine under the lateral head restraints and use the side outlet.  
  You will never regret building or buying one.  I built a rack behind the drivers seat to secure the "six pack" size cooler.  One of these years I am going to remember to drain the water and clean it out before June!     Bob
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 01:29:53 AM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury