Author Topic: Connecting rods  (Read 8425 times)

Offline dw230

Re: Connecting rods
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 12:46:57 PM »
My post was two fold - first to direct the OP to the proper class and also give him reality check. I had no intention of letting him build to the wrong class. Amazing what a glass of red wine beside the keyboard can do on a late Saturday night.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline RichFox

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 04:26:44 PM »
Dan’s point is a good one but may have added some confusion. You have to be careful and be sure the “X” motor is listed in the class. For example, in PP or BMP an “X” rated motor is listed (pun intended). Therefore, it will only have to run against another X motor and not against an “E” motor. If the class does not have X listed then you are running your X motor against anything of similar cubic inch sizes.

For further confusion, the Classic Category (1928-1981) has no X motor. So if you wanted to run a turbo flathead (XF) in your 71 Nova you have to enter the car as a blown gas coupe BGC in the Modified Category (post 1982). You would be severely handicapped though, because modern sedans have much cleaner aero.

At least in the case of my car and the Salt Cat, because there are no X classes in "Classic" we do not run in cubic inch class. We run in standard Altered coup. I am going to reiterate here. XO and XF engines run in XO and XF classes. If you had an engine over 325 cubic inches and supercharged with a 12 port head then you would run heads up (I think) in your cubic inch class. But maybe you would be Time Only.

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 07:44:43 PM »
Lets make is simple. If your class lists an X or V4 motor in a vintage body, no turbo. If no vintage body any blower is allowed. If any class does not list X or V4 you can still run your X or V4 motor but its based on cubic inches against anything in existence.

Offline Tman

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2011, 08:22:51 PM »
Lets make is simple. If your class lists an X or V4 motor in a vintage body, no turbo. If no vintage body any blower is allowed. If any class does not list X or V4 you can still run your X or V4 motor but its based on cubic inches against anything in existence.

The vintage BODY part was overlooked by myself and a couple others I had talked to. So in my case as stated, a special const. lakester or streamliner could run XO with a turbo. Thanks for this thread prompting me to reread that section of my rulebook! :cheers:

Offline RichFox

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2011, 09:57:47 PM »
No X or V4 in sports car classes. None in mini/midi pickups. No diesels. None of the "Classic" Category. None in Production Supercharged. So if you build a 235 powered Corvette you will run heads up with other E motors. Same thing for a S10 with a flathead Ford. But Tman is OK.    g                                                                                                                                                                                       

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 01:55:12 AM »
If any class does not list X or V4 you can still run your X or V4 motor but its based on cubic inches against anything in existence.

No X or V4 in sports car classes. None in mini/midi pickups. No diesels. None of the "Classic" Category. None in Production Supercharged. So if you build a 235 powered Corvette you will run heads up with other E motors. Same thing for a S10 with a flathead Ford. But Tman is OK.    g

Rich, isn't that what I just said?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 02:07:22 AM by Saltfever »

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 02:03:50 AM »
A picture is worth . . .  :-D
flathead with turbo in streamliner. (Thanks, Jimmy and Rick)
flathead with Electronic fuel injection in streamliner. (Same car, Thanks, Rick and Jimmy)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 05:13:17 AM by Saltfever »

Offline RichFox

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 11:02:29 AM »
Yes, I guess that's what you said. I just named specific classes that do not have anywhere for an  X or V4 car. Except "Classic" where you just go into Alt or comp or whatever. Here's a coup this a turbocharged GMC. It was legal when the picture was taken. Things change.

Offline roadrash375

• New folks
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 09:40:57 PM »
 Lets see if I've got this straight now. Since there's a vintage engine class in PP, I must run in that class, can't get greedy and try to run both classes . If there was no XO I'd be in "E" .  Thanks for straightening me out on that, still have lots to learn , but that's part of the fun !
                                                                                                                                                                       Mark

Offline RichFox

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2011, 10:31:21 PM »
Right.

Offline dw230

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2011, 02:07:18 PM »
Everything sorted out now? Good, one note - there is XF and XO classes for Production Pickups. Current record for XO is 131.5 MPH.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth