Author Topic: "E" Gas Coupe Build  (Read 184105 times)

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
Re: "E" Gas Coupe Build
« Reply #300 on: March 25, 2013, 09:38:02 PM »
Mike, Thanks for the kind words.  My surfing days are over, now I just get to watch.  I have a medical card for traveling and it always seems the Singapore airport has the most sensitive detectors of the airports I fly into.

Kevin sent a picture of the hub adapters he machined up for the rear wheels to make them hub-centric.  These are  18" rears and are big monsters and  Kevin was able to find a friend with a big enough mill to spin them to see how true they are. We got lucky and the run-out is good and only one wheel needed some minor work which will be relegated to the back up set.  Tony

“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #301 on: March 28, 2013, 05:10:26 PM »
Tony, I bought  a soft bag unit from Cool Shirt that looks like a Ladies oversized purse. - Bob]
Bob how and where do you get the tubing through your -20 suit? Did you penetrate the suit somewhere or do you run the tubing through the top at the neck?

Offline maguromic

« Reply #302 on: March 28, 2013, 11:21:02 PM »
Saltfever, My suit has two zippers, one from top down and one from the bottom up. I bring the tubes out where they meet. Tony

Offline maguromic

« Reply #303 on: April 04, 2013, 03:05:07 PM »
Came back from Florida yesterday and found an update the guys had done on the Firebird.  The first picture is of the fitted front wheel tub and the second is of the sub-frame connector half finished.  The finished version of sub-frame connector will be triangulated  and tied to the roll cage.  Tony

Offline DND

« Reply #304 on: April 04, 2013, 08:58:06 PM »
Hey Tony

That wheel tub kinda looks like a rear , maybe a little jet lag still or a senior moment ?

Don

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #305 on: April 04, 2013, 10:44:03 PM »
Methinks he's only showing us the "front" of the tub.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline maguromic

« Reply #306 on: April 06, 2013, 12:44:30 PM »
Don, It was a typo and I was showing the front of the rear tub.  The fronts will also have a tub, but it wont be finished till the front suspension layout is finalized. Trying to figure out how to get the suspension parts out of the airstream is killing the brain cells. Tony

Offline DND

« Reply #307 on: April 06, 2013, 01:01:29 PM »
Hey Tony

No problem at all just use a  ' Bellypan ' as it will fix all the under-side aero stuff

Ya i know you can't run one but it would be swoopy looking

Don

Offline maguromic

« Reply #308 on: April 12, 2013, 11:06:02 PM »
These are some better shots of the wheels, good thing we checked them otherwise it would have looked like a clown car going down the track and at the very least a bad vibration to chase and fix.  These wheels were way off, to fix them Kevin indexed off the inner wheel lip and adjusted them to be hub-centric.  You can really see how far they are off in the second picture with the hub.  Tony

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #309 on: April 12, 2013, 11:25:57 PM »
OMG! . . . I can't see how something that was turned (on a lathe?) be so far off! Even if the center plate was burned out with a torch or plasma (using a centerpunch and a radius holder for the torch) I could get it closer than that. Seriously, how could it be so far out of concentricity??

Offline Tman

« Reply #310 on: April 12, 2013, 11:28:33 PM »
What Saltfever said! Plus, is there enough meat for the lugs???? Looks thin on the inside.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #311 on: April 12, 2013, 11:46:35 PM »
Did they come off a FarmAll or Masey Furg???? :-o
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline maguromic

« Reply #312 on: April 13, 2013, 12:11:06 AM »
Saltfever, I don't want to name the company that made these, but they are known for taking a long time to make them. Each wheel is slightly different and after getting the lugs correct we have to modify the  center spacer to fit the hub correctly. Like you mentioned its amassing that a wheel could be built like this.

Trent, The bottom picture is with the lugs adjusted and without the spacer in the center. There is plenty of room and the wheel wont come off, and being hub-centric I have a better chance of winning the power ball than a wheel coming off.

Captthunder, They came off Ermie Immerso's turbine liner, and I am very grateful to Don Ferguson for selling me his spare set from that car. Finding any type of 18" rim suitable for LSR is a chore.

Of all the cars I have owned and worked on I have yet to see a perfect set of wheels and when looking for the last bit of optimization its one of the things that need to be addressed. Tony

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #313 on: April 13, 2013, 12:48:02 AM »
Tony, true that on finding 18's, I was just as amazed as the rest when I saw how far off they they are. Didn't mean to push o butons.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline maguromic

« Reply #314 on: April 13, 2013, 01:38:22 AM »
No offense taken, I wouldn't have used them on a tractor the way they were.  Tony