Author Topic: "E" Gas Coupe Build  (Read 184123 times)

Online Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: "E" Gas Coupe Build
« Reply #285 on: October 24, 2012, 02:06:27 PM »
Saltfever,
If you are interested in some aircraft quality honey comb panels I may have a source. These would be aluminum skin over aluminum honey comb and probably 1/2 to 1 inch thick.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #286 on: October 24, 2012, 04:28:02 PM »
"Aircraft" sounds expensive, Rex. But, yes, I'm interested and would call them . . . and thanx.  :-)

There is so little space between the roof and the cage that may be the only logical place for aluminum honeycomb. Containing the honeycomb to ensure "crush" may be an issue. I don't want a steel plate over my head (or a raised CG). Maybe some kind of outrigger arrangement along the cage tube with the honeycomb laid in there would work. No firm ideas yet . . .

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #287 on: October 29, 2012, 11:29:23 PM »
Tried to get some work done this weekend, but once everyone showed up it just turned into a big bench racing day.  These are the  hard lines for the trans /rear dry sump system.

After waiting for what seemed like a long time to get the oddball tap for the filter housings, Kevin finished up the adapters for the Pall filters.  Sometimes the forward path is measured in very small increments. Tony

Still have a little massaging left to do on the housings for oil flow.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline maguromic

« Reply #288 on: November 29, 2012, 07:19:20 PM »
After some time off for health issues (donor ligaments and 7 titanium screws in my leg) I got back to working on the cars rear inboard suspension.  I am using the front rockers off a Panoz indy car, but still trying to decide if I want to mount and load the shocks on to the roll cage or try a different layout. Tony

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #289 on: November 29, 2012, 08:40:43 PM »
Welcome back, Tony. I hope the winter is kind to you and your internal hardware. You can't be too careful about counterfeit fasteners. Glad you did it now it before Obama-care attempts to design a quality control program.  :evil:

Offline maguromic

« Reply #290 on: November 29, 2012, 10:41:33 PM »
Thanks Saltfever!  This is something I have been procrastinating for about an year and  wanted to get done before Obama-care kicked in.  It was my orthopedic surgeon who advised me and was adamant to get it done before the new regulations. I sure do hope winter is going to be kind, but I an already feel the cold working on the parts.  Tony

Offline maguromic

« Reply #291 on: March 25, 2013, 02:06:37 AM »
Some of you know that my neighbor (known him since I was in 3rd grade) whom I have been helping build the car lost his job last year.  To help him out I bought the car back from him (to get the my IRL motor back) and will continue with the build as time permits between the roadster build and work.

I want to use a cool suit and just can’t stand the look of an ice chest in a race car (its just wrong),  andbstarted working on the enclosure for the cool suit tank today.  I don’t want to buy a new system instead I will use off the shelf parts and construct it.  Other plans for the car next month is to finish the frame connectors, rear wheel tubs and firewall. Tony

Offline Rob

« Reply #292 on: March 25, 2013, 04:53:05 AM »
Glad you're back with us Tony,

Don't overdo it too early mate!

Cheers,
Rob

Offline Tman

« Reply #293 on: March 25, 2013, 11:23:31 AM »
Make sure and take plenty of pics when you build the cool suit setup!

Offline maguromic

« Reply #294 on: March 25, 2013, 01:05:39 PM »
Trent,  I am off to FL for the next week and one of my friends will finish the tank, I told him to take lots of pics for you.  I just hope the big boss (wife) docent find out that her cooler is missing.  :-o  Tony

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #295 on: March 25, 2013, 03:42:28 PM »
  Tony, I bought  a soft bag unit from Cool Shirt that looks like a Ladies oversized purse.
  It contains a xtra large and xtra strong zip lock bag with the pump inside.  I just fill it with Ice Water and lay it behing the drivers seat.
  It will conform to any shape you want it and it works so well that I have to shut the pump off if I am held up in staging. 
  Two years ago I sat in the car for over a half hour while they cleaned up a bad crash........... no reason to get out even wearing a SFI-20 suit...   Bob
Bob Drury

Offline DND

« Reply #296 on: March 25, 2013, 03:57:43 PM »
Hi Bob

What holds the water bag in place if a car gets up-side down ?

Don

Offline maguromic

« Reply #297 on: March 25, 2013, 04:23:54 PM »
Bob, I have seen those and they are nice.  I have my old road race suit which also has a head cap for cooling that I don't see on the newer suits anymore, but when I sold my car the other parts to make it function went with it. I have a pretty good handle on how I want it to look and function. Kind of like a shoe box with adjustable clamps around the top lid. The other thought was to incorporate the cool suit into one of the ballast water tanks, but the thought of doing all the additional fabrication for it killed that idea. Tony

Offline tauruck

« Reply #298 on: March 25, 2013, 04:31:54 PM »
You got screwed with Titanium, all I could afford was Stainless but the surgeon said if I broke the leg once more he'd have to learn to weld. He thought it was funny :-D I'm a big attraction at airport security now though. The parts you're doing look great Tony.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #299 on: March 25, 2013, 04:38:33 PM »
 Don, what ever you want.   This bag measures about 1' x 1' x 4", is soft and if it hit you in the face I doubt that it would hurt.  You DO NOT fill it with Ice, just Ice Water so that it doesn't plug up the pump.        Bob
Bob Drury