Author Topic: "E" Gas Coupe Build  (Read 184089 times)

Offline Saltfever

Re: "E" Gas Coupe Build
« Reply #240 on: September 18, 2012, 12:22:07 AM »
. . . . and a unanimous request to take a picture of the switch and be sure both the pic and spec are in the log book for next time.  Sorry Tony, I just couldn't help myself  :-D

Offline Tman

« Reply #241 on: September 18, 2012, 12:26:02 AM »
Apologies to KiwiPaul and all the tech inspectors, if we can't pick on you who CAN we pick on!? BTW, as I typed that I had just come off a long phone talk with one of the tech inspectors (Nate) clarifying things I am doing. No need for a conspiricy Bob (Drury)  :-D :-P

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #242 on: September 18, 2012, 12:39:35 AM »
For all the inquiring minds, I mainly use Honeywell MS24524-23 switches, and just in case we will carry this data sheet  http://download.siliconexpert.com/pdfs/2004/0802/pemco_b/1/hnw/qd/tl_series.pdf  in our log book  :-D.  This is a rough crowd.  :cheers: Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #243 on: September 18, 2012, 12:00:33 PM »
Excellent choice of switches, Tony.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #244 on: September 18, 2012, 02:27:29 PM »
Just got myself a new digital point and shoot yesterday....made sure the Zoom gets up really close so as to get them there switches in focus..... :lol:

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #245 on: September 18, 2012, 02:49:57 PM »
Tony's zoom works far better on his avitars:-D

Offline maguromic

« Reply #246 on: September 24, 2012, 11:58:37 PM »
The rear / trans oil cooler boxes are finished to fit the fairly small coolers at 6" x 6".  Part of our oil control strategy for the trans / rear is the oil temperature be fairly constant, the fans will be controlled by a thermostat switch as not to over cool the oil. The milestones are coming, though in small steps. Tony

Most of it was able to be done on a brake requiring only four seams to finish it off.  

The two coolers are timed out take offs from a ALMS Porsche.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 12:01:44 AM by maguromic »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #247 on: September 25, 2012, 11:53:03 AM »
Tony;

You may be able to answer a question that I've asked others without getting any answer: What is the temperature of the tranny or differential oil after making a run on the long course?

I've asked may people about oil temperature rise over time but their racing has been in other venues where the need for an oil cooler on a differential or transaxle was well established. These were NASCAR & CART guys who run 200 to 500 mile races or sports car guys who run races as long as 24 hours. No one seems to know how fast the oil heats up since the rate of temp rise is not important in their type of racing.

I'm trying to decide if I need to add a pump and oil cooler to my Porsche G50 transaxle in the B/GMS that I'm building.

Offline maguromic

« Reply #248 on: September 25, 2012, 02:53:08 PM »
Neil,

My racing has also been in other venues and I would have to agree that how fast the temperature rises is not as important as how to maintain the optimal temperature.  Having seen the data streams from a LeMans Porsche and talking to the team engineer, I can say they try very hard to keep everything at the optimal temperature while running.

How fast the temperature rises will be effected by if the case is magnesium or aluminum, have some of the ball bearings been taken out and other factors. The best scenario is to preheat the oil and control it from there. The colder the oil the more rolling resistance, and you can have several thousand movement in clearances from 50- 280 degrees. On our RMR transaxle and the Firebird, the bearings and clearances are based on 220 degree running temperatures and we will try very hard to control the temperature to keep close to that number as possible.

In your transaxle I would look at a way to preheat the oil, maybe with an external heat pad on the case and add a small pump and a oil cooler to control oil from there.  To cut down on parasitic losses it is very important the amount of oil you run, I know my NASCAR friends have it down to the milliliter on their tans / rear ends.  I always feel bad watching one of those races and see a trans or rear burn up and know that some one was off a few milliliters.  Tony

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #249 on: September 25, 2012, 03:06:58 PM »
Just sent you a pm regarding your transmission temp question.

Larry

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #250 on: September 25, 2012, 08:58:18 PM »
Thanks for your answers, Larry and Tony. From what you both suggested it looks like it would be helpful to heat the transaxle oil/gear lube in the same manner as a dry sump oil tank. I think I have a couple of thin pad heaters around here-- if I can find them I'll see if they fit between the case ribs. If I go instead to an oil pump to circulate the warmed- up lube from an external source, I might as well add an oil cooler in the loop. I have a small aircraft oil cooler that has a temperature-sensitive bypass valve to maintain the oil at an elevated temperature. That should prevent the cooler from over-cooling the oil.

Yes, I understand that it (the rate of temperature rise) would be dependent on the masss of the various transaxle parts and their specific heat but the question of how much energy is being lost by the transaxle is something that seems to be relatively unknown. If one had a data acquisition systen readout it could be back calculated, of course, but it really isn't necessary to get that much precision in my case. I just wondered if anyone knew how much a tranny or rear end heated up from one run on the long course. You both have been very helpful with your answers and you have my thanks.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #251 on: September 25, 2012, 10:01:27 PM »
Neil,  I have not gun temped the rear end on my lakester  but by hand with motor oil in the rear  I cant tell hardly any  but that is NOT documented
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #252 on: September 27, 2012, 02:10:29 AM »
Huh? Sparky, what kind and wt. of motor oil do you run? Thx. :-)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 02:16:21 AM by Saltfever »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #253 on: September 27, 2012, 06:05:41 AM »
Synthetic 5-30 with some Problend gear oil addditive, I am running a Torsen-Gleason out of a Camaro.   no problems yet     no indication of wear yet.  I use a 2.14 gear set,  the pinion is huge,  the mass and the wipe area is much larger than  say a 4.10
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 06:14:16 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #254 on: September 27, 2012, 05:16:27 PM »
Thank you, Sparky. Much appreciated. I'm sure that large pinion helps