Author Topic: "E" Gas Coupe Build  (Read 184098 times)

Offline Saltfever

Re: "E" Gas Coupe Build
« Reply #210 on: September 01, 2012, 05:43:56 PM »
Here is the 45 degree Tony is talking about.  Hilborn nozzles run $30-$45 each. My, how prices keep going up!  :-(

Hilborn's selection of orifice size is extensive so it shouldn't be too hard to find one large enough. But as Tony indicated their body size may be a limiting factor for your design. If you wanted a high quality, ready made part, I would check Hilborn before you picked up your hacksaw and file.  :wink:
http://www.hilborninjection.com/category.asp?Id=220

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #211 on: September 01, 2012, 09:11:34 PM »
Tony,
Not sure what you looked at, or exactly what you or others are looking for, but it seems that one of the versions (pdf attached) below would come pretty close to what's needed.

(Haven't attached files before, I hope this works)

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #212 on: September 01, 2012, 11:47:28 PM »
I looked at something similar and they look like they would work.  But on my set up I have a manifold for the transmission with AN8 fittings and once I add the adapter from NPT to AN on those the length gets too long.  Besides I am cheap and they are not that hard to make, in a few hours I had a bunch them finished (one for the rear end and three for the transmission with a few spares).Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline maguromic

« Reply #213 on: September 02, 2012, 01:50:20 AM »
Its a small part, but thanks to one of my neighbors who is an ex GM designer (who loves the salt), he was able to get it done far better than I could of (I am just not cut out for mold making).  This is the pod for the roof antenna, the hardest part was getting the radius on the flange correct.  We wanted to keep a small footprint, the results were very tight tolerances. Tony

The first clay model.

The clay is sealed, though you can see some imperfections still. Hmm, kind of has that drop tank profile.

The imperfections are now fixed and ready to pull a part.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #214 on: September 02, 2012, 03:18:43 PM »
Looks good! It kind of looks like the headlight replacements John K. made for us!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline maguromic

« Reply #215 on: September 06, 2012, 09:42:42 PM »
Finally we were able to get the car on the chassis table this week.  It was a long time coming, and this is a big step in getting the cage and all the suspension worked out correctly.  Tony

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #216 on: September 06, 2012, 09:49:06 PM »
Looks great :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline maguromic

« Reply #217 on: September 07, 2012, 12:09:26 AM »
Thanks Glen!!!  It will sure make things a lot easier and more accurate.  Started building the jig to fab up the lower control  arms and it was like a luxury with it in the air.  Tony

Offline maguromic

« Reply #218 on: September 11, 2012, 10:58:55 PM »
Not much here but the modified bottoms of the two dry sump tanks for the trans / rear, each one has two heater probes and a thermocouple (its a small tank 6" in diameter and about a 12" tall).  All that is left to do for this setup is to fab up the fan shrouds for the two coolers and the adapters for the oil filters which Kevin is working on. Then we can cross this off the list. On a side note, I have lots of Watlow heater probes and a few Omega thermocouples for sale. Tony

« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 12:20:46 AM by maguromic »

Offline Tman

« Reply #219 on: September 12, 2012, 12:41:03 AM »
What is the thought on the lower aero valances on that car vs. the earliwer ones w/o it? And the newer style nose?

Offline maguromic

« Reply #220 on: September 12, 2012, 02:10:52 PM »
What is the thought on the lower aero valances on that car vs. the earliwer ones w/o it? And the newer style nose?

It only maters in GC, and IMO the 91 nose (there are 4 different noses for this year from the factory) is better for aero, but the rear spoiler, wheel vents and skirts on the earlier model Firebird's are much better than the '91 and could be exploited to off set the failings of the earlier nose.  For our '91 we will use shapes in the new suspension to move the air around to make up for the lack of wheel vents. Tony

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #221 on: September 12, 2012, 04:56:30 PM »
Tony,
On your tank heaters, are the in direct contact with the oil? I ask this because heaters that are in direct contact with the oil can cause the oil to burn and contaminate the oil if their watt density is to great. Having done many hydraulic systems that had fairly large heaters we quickly learned that to keep from burning the oil we would typically install the heater into a "well" which consisted of a fairly large piece of capped pipe that was welded into the reservoir and the heater rod was installed in this well. It greatly increased the surface area which of course reduces the watt density of the surface that is in contact with the oil but you still get the same amount of heat into the oil just not a high local temperatures.

Just a thought.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #222 on: September 12, 2012, 05:48:12 PM »
Bob, as a newbie I couldnt agree more with what you wrote. I just got done reading the whole build ( along with some other build diaries ) and I must say while its very facinating to read, it sort of is a bit scary and intimidating. I come from a drag racing background and have an idea of what Id like to build LSR wise in the next few years ( a gas roadster, street roadster or lakester havent quite narrowed it down ) As I am reading and see an IRL engine being utilized for power and hearing that some cars have ex NASCAR engines in them, I get to thinking my little 650 HP 394 ci SBC drag motor is gonna be like bringing a pee shooter to a gun fight. It wont stop me from eventually putting something together but at the same time I know Ill be lacking in the hp deparment as it stands.

Tony, im looking foward to reading future updates. Like I said, its kinda scary but it sure is awesome at the same time.

Having followed this thread from the begining and being amazed at not only Tony's knowledge but at his apparent endless supply of friends with parts made of unobtanium, I always read his posts with amazement.
  One disclaimer that I would like to make.
  As Tony mentioned, we have current record holders that have nothing more than home built chassis with minimal suspension and no adjustments built in, thought of, or needed.
  Why do I bring this up?  Well its not to mock Tony, or deny all of us who are not savy enough or monied enough, rather to speak out to the newbies or guests on this site who, like me, were looking for a sport where "Rube Goldberg" racers can still afford to build and race whatever they dream up as long as it meets the rule book requirments for safety.
  You don't have to meet any class requirments and can run as a Time Only vehicle.
  Some of us who have built and race or raced "simple" or "basic" race vehicles may even scoff at Tonys builds as somewhat "nonsensical" in design or implication, but it is in my opinion entertaining and educational to read about and watch someone try a new approach in creating two diffenrent class race cars with knowledge gleaned from another type of motorsports.
  If all this knowledge and ability creates positive results, I salute Tony and all involved.
  If all this knowledge and ability doesn't create the desired results, I salute Tony and all involved for letting us follow his dreams and craftsmanship, attempting to reach out towards the cutting edge and try to make his dreams a reality.
  If in the end the records are still held by low buck backyard built entrys, I think Tony like the rest of us Land Speed addicts will still be happy and proud of his builds.
  Here's to you Tony, and here's to all the low bucker's who round out our amazing brotherhood.        Bob
          :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Tman

« Reply #223 on: September 12, 2012, 06:44:04 PM »
Frankie, there have been some pretty smokin deals on VERY high end engines here int he classifieds. Tony has had several for sale. I also just found a factory Nissan setup that could be a great base for 1000hp, cheap $2500 NOS from an Indy/CORR engine builder. Lots of ways to skin a cat. 

Offline maguromic

« Reply #224 on: September 12, 2012, 09:35:18 PM »
Rex, You don't miss a beat! Stop giving all the secrets away.  :cheers:  Its hard to see, but on the bottom of the tank you can see the outer part of the "well" for the heaters.  I have a 500w and a 400w heaters of which only one will be used.  The second one is for a backup as I really don't want to pull the tank out to replace a heater on the salt or lake bed (for me there is nothing worse than working on a race car at the track).  Though it looks like it may have a "well", for obvious reasons the thermocouple is not in a "well". Tony
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 09:37:06 PM by maguromic »