Author Topic: "E" Gas Coupe Build  (Read 184788 times)

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
Re: "E" Gas Coupe Build
« Reply #120 on: March 24, 2012, 12:20:31 PM »
yea Dig Tony's build with the different asspects on suspension ect. plus he's got some cool giblets.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Jon

« Reply #121 on: March 24, 2012, 03:12:11 PM »
Tony for a simple way to build a wheeltub have a look in my build, I got it tacked up from scratch in a morning.

I'm definitely with Tony on the suspension thing (although nowhere near the experience).
The only time you can drive forward is when the wheel has good down pressure on the salt.
For a relatively flat surface I would have thought a low frequency spring rate(softish) would be a help.
Sheer weight will help by making the tyres frequency lower if suspension travel is limited or none.

I have 0 experience on the salt though.

jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #122 on: March 24, 2012, 06:57:11 PM »
Jon,  I have been following you build and did look at the way you built your tub. In our case our tub was bigger as we needed 3” of space around the tire to negate the tire shearing effect, and to top it off I don’t have a machine to do a Pittsburgh seem and to add to that I didn’t have the material and the trip to the track is 1 ½ hrs each way. Add the gas prices and running around for the sheet metal and a half day to make the tub, then the $190 the other shop wanted delivered to us from Colorado seems cheap.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #123 on: March 24, 2012, 08:39:45 PM »
3.5 to 4 Hz is gonna be kinda harsh, though.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline maguromic

« Reply #124 on: March 24, 2012, 10:23:18 PM »
It is a little harsh, but it’s a starting point and a guess, as I don’t have enough information. Once the car is done and we have all the variables we may learn it’s more towards 2.5Hz.  But like I mentioned that’s why we have so many adjustments. Tony

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2012, 01:17:04 AM »
  Having followed this thread from the begining and being amazed at not only Tony's knowledge but at his apparent endless supply of friends with parts made of unobtanium, I always read his posts with amazement.
  One disclaimer that I would like to make.
  As Tony mentioned, we have current record holders that have nothing more than home built chassis with minimal suspension and no adjustments built in, thought of, or needed.
  Why do I bring this up?  Well its not to mock Tony, or deny all of us who are not savy enough or monied enough, rather to speak out to the newbies or guests on this site who, like me, were looking for a sport where "Rube Goldberg" racers can still afford to build and race whatever they dream up as long as it meets the rule book requirments for safety.
  You don't have to meet any class requirments and can run as a Time Only vehicle.
  Some of us who have built and race or raced "simple" or "basic" race vehicles may even scoff at Tonys builds as somewhat "nonsensical" in design or implication, but it is in my opinion entertaining and educational to read about and watch someone try a new approach in creating two diffenrent class race cars with knowledge gleaned from another type of motorsports.
  If all this knowledge and ability creates positive results, I salute Tony and all involved.
  If all this knowledge and ability doesn't create the desired results, I salute Tony and all involved for letting us follow his dreams and craftsmanship, attempting to reach out towards the cutting edge and try to make his dreams a reality.
  If in the end the records are still held by low buck backyard built entrys, I think Tony like the rest of us Land Speed addicts will still be happy and proud of his builds.
  Here's to you Tony, and here's to all the low bucker's who round out our amazing brotherhood.        Bob
          :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Bob Drury

Offline maguromic

« Reply #126 on: March 25, 2012, 01:48:52 AM »
There is nothing unobtanium (maybe at one time) about the parts.  From most venues you cant give away last years parts, and they are the best bang for the buck.  Just take a look at engines C, D, E, F, There are so much of the older race engines out their that it wouldn't make sense to develop an engine program, you can get cup engines all day for 12K or less and an I have IRL engines from 9-15K.  I am truly very blessed to have lots of friends in and out of racing that I can call on.  But what really attracts me to the salt is in a given class there are just as many ways to go fast as cars.  There is nothing low buck on the salt as we all spend more than we care to.

Bob, You old fart, I  want have a beer with you and swap lies.   :cheers: :cheers:  :cheers: Tony

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #127 on: March 25, 2012, 02:02:12 AM »
  Tony, those who know me best will tell you that although I may not be the brightest bulb in the room, I can outlie or bullsh*t most everyone in the room................          Bob (and please, no lite beer or anything in clear or green bottles.  I am a very discriminating conesour of malt beverages........ the cheaper the better).
                                                :-D :evil: :roll: :cheers:
Bob Drury

Offline Tman

« Reply #128 on: March 25, 2012, 11:57:58 AM »
I see where you are coming from Bob but I also see what Tony is saying. When folks hear what you are doing I have been amazed at the offers of parts and/or help. I even had a longtime Indy car crew chief take time on the phone with me and offer to help with our lakester. In the end it all boils down to rich or poor, we are all hotrodders in the end.  :cheers:

PS, Tony's parts aren't unobtanium but his avatars are. Racing is MUCH cheaper :-P

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #129 on: March 25, 2012, 12:16:50 PM »
TMan go visit Joe Amo and ask him for a bottle of of AmoAle, Bottled by his brother Jon in a oil can. it's 30wt. with additives. True story. :evil:
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Tman

« Reply #130 on: March 25, 2012, 12:23:53 PM »
TMan go visit Joe Amo and ask him for a bottle of of AmoAle, Bottled by his brother Jon in a oil can. it's 30wt. with additives. True story. :evil:
 :cheers:

Yes, I have heard that story! :-D

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #131 on: March 25, 2012, 12:37:26 PM »
  Tman, Believe me, if it wasn't for the advice and help of others My car wouldn't have been built or ever raced.
  And until Marlo Treit took me under his wing I was a canoe with no paddle.
  I didn't intend to imply that Tony is able to build his projects only because he may have more money or friends with connections.
  My intention was to both congratulate a guy who I really admire, but at the same time let the newbies or site guests understand that they can still build a race a vehicle on the salt without being as smart and crafty as Tony is.
  Believe me, If I lived closer, I would be on his front porch every morning trying to leech any knowledge I could and of course keep my eye our for any wandering "avitars"!
                                                                    Bob
Bob Drury

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #132 on: March 26, 2012, 01:39:51 AM »
This is a good build diary, Tony.  There are ideas I see here and nowhere else.  That short post on low and high speed damping is an example.

Offline Tman

« Reply #133 on: March 26, 2012, 11:32:32 AM »
 Tman, Believe me, if it wasn't for the advice and help of others My car wouldn't have been built or ever raced.
  And until Marlo Treit took me under his wing I was a canoe with no paddle.
  I didn't intend to imply that Tony is able to build his projects only because he may have more money or friends with connections.
  My intention was to both congratulate a guy who I really admire, but at the same time let the newbies or site guests understand that they can still build a race a vehicle on the salt without being as smart and crafty as Tony is.
  Believe me, If I lived closer, I would be on his front porch every morning trying to leech any knowledge I could and of course keep my eye our for any wandering "avitars"!
                                                                    Bob

Thats how I read your comments.

Offline Jon

« Reply #134 on: March 28, 2012, 04:43:39 PM »
In our case our tub was bigger as we needed 3” of space around the tire to negate the tire shearing effect.

Do you have any data or rules of thumb on this Tony?

I've wondered wether close or distant is better, guessing that it is better to try and maintain a constantradius gap.

Is it worthwhile running moondisks inside a wheelweel?

Thanks
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3