Author Topic: "E" Gas Coupe Build  (Read 184086 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: "E" Gas Coupe Build
« Reply #75 on: February 29, 2012, 02:46:59 PM »
Better still:  I've got what seems to be a lifetime supply of them, winning them in the annual gift-giving dinner parties and such.  Give me an address and I'll send one or two.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #76 on: February 29, 2012, 05:42:36 PM »
Hey Tony, take a few of the bucks you guys are saving doing your own aerospace work and buy a new tape measure.............. or two.  :-D

This is a rough crowd!  :cheers:  That's Ashley's tape measure  :-o, I take care of my tools. Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline maguromic

« Reply #77 on: February 29, 2012, 05:46:13 PM »
I agree, sweet looking brakes.  What's the story behind them being banned for NASCAR use?

Steve.

In the days of  a good economy one of the top tier teams contracted with Rapco (they build brakes for airplanes) to come up with a blade rotor and caliper system that could be used at Daytona and Talladega to cut down on drag.  When Brembo got wind of it they also jumped in and started supplying a few teams with their version of the system for the two super speedway races. In trying to level the playing field NASCAR decided that the costs for the smaller teams were two high and banned them form use in competition. (for a one car team your looking at four sets and possibly more for just two races).  Tony

Offline dw230

« Reply #78 on: February 29, 2012, 05:49:11 PM »
That tape is good. My Dad got along for years with the first inch cut off of his. A piece of black tape took care of the end up to the 3/8" mark. When it came time to cut the tape back to 2" I bought him a new one.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #79 on: February 29, 2012, 07:54:03 PM »
." In trying to level the playing field NASCAR decided that the costs for the smaller teams were two high and banned them form use in competition. (for a one car team your looking at four sets and possibly more for just two races).  Tony"

Amazing how NASCAR is so concerned about the financial health of the small teams but doesn't even blink charging them $26,000 for each car set of the new EFI set up. And that doesn't include the special manifold!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #80 on: February 29, 2012, 09:30:28 PM »
   Rex,
   How long before they mandate the control program to run the system and adjust the setup of the cars that are too fast? Then they will fine them for "Illegal software" after the race. Trust me, it's coming. NASCAR and NHRA have the same playbook. Thank you SCTA for giving the competitors some credit for keeping this sport affordable for the little guy.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Tman

« Reply #81 on: February 29, 2012, 10:05:02 PM »
   Rex,
   How long before they mandate the control program to run the system and adjust the setup of the cars that are too fast? Then they will fine them for "Illegal software" after the race. Trust me, it's coming. NASCAR and NHRA have the same playbook. Thank you SCTA for giving the competitors some credit for keeping this sport affordable for the little guy.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I agree on all points Doug!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2012, 10:55:27 AM »
I love the way the commentators are touting how NASCAR has finally caught up with current automotive technology.  What?  Aren't throttle bodies sorta 1980s tech?

(Alert! -- Thread highjacking in progress!)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline maguromic

« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2012, 11:21:22 AM »
I love the way the commentators are touting how NASCAR has finally caught up with current automotive technology.  What?  Aren't throttle bodies sorta 1980s tech?

(Alert! -- Thread highjacking in progress!)

Highjack away, its fun reading the comments!  :cheers:  Besides I am of to SOCAL today for work and some bench racing with friends. Tony

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2012, 11:35:56 AM »
Back..Give me a break...A throttle body EFI has the nozzle in the body..NECKCAR's nozzle are in the ports like all standard EFI's today not the 80's. The air intake and butterflies could be anywhere. The top way in was much cheaper than redesigning the air intake from the rear or front.

I have more fear for the drivers because of the high fuel pump pressure coming from the back of the car. You can already see a bigger fire problem coming. Guess they all need a impact device to turn off the pump....Wait a second...NECKCAR with no contact, what a novel concept.........JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2012, 11:58:39 AM »
JD --

That just shows how little I know about that (and other things).

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2012, 02:27:07 PM »
Jimmy,
As I understand NASCAR, opps! I mean NECKCAR, does have a system that looks at the cars attitude and any high G forces that does turn of the electric fuel pumps. 70 psi gas spraying out of a broken hose just doesn't appeal to me. I also understand that many of the mechanics and engine builders really don't care for EFI. So much potential to do wrong with EFI and I can bet you right now that the high dollars teams have a pack of "bit nerds" working on the ECU to see what they can get away with.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2012, 03:44:08 PM »
Take a read through any of the motorcycle magazines that report on road racing if you want further information on what the computers can do with EFI and other engine parameters.  They ECU is connected to all sorts of inputs including GPS - so the ECU can vary the tune up according to location on the track (out of a sweeping left turn onto a long straight might be different than out of a hairpin connecting to a short straight and then downhill, etc).

And NASCAR hasn't learned how to do that yet?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2012, 06:31:47 PM »

And NASCAR hasn't learned how to do that yet?

NASTYCAR.
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline maguromic

« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2012, 12:11:45 AM »
After searching all over the place for some 18" steel wheels without any luck, Don Ferguson offered up his spare set of 18"  from the ex-Hermoso turbine liner.  Thanks to Don now we have two for the car plus two spares and  one less thing to worry about.  Just makes my mouth water looking at those Ardun heads stacked on the shelf by the rims.   Tony