Author Topic: Drag racer needing a little help on aero.  (Read 28957 times)

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
Re: Drag racer needing a little help on aero.
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 10:00:47 PM »
With the car sitting static it seems a bit nose high. you might what to try to get the whole rig as low as possible with a nose down attitude. Stock appearing is fine but it don't got to stick up in the sky. P.S wheel stands are fun to look at but it is wasted energy when you need to go forward not up.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 10:19:29 PM »
Seal the hood to the body best you can. Stop all air from going through grill/radiator if can. The Hotrod article on Keith Turks Camaro in the wind tunnel- "Aero tricks you can use" has other tips that might help. And it suggests that taping seams and fancy paint/polish are not measurable. So your beater look is OK  :cheers:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 11:39:32 PM »
Apparently everyone seem to have overlooked the fact that your car is quite large.... the best aero improvement would be put your package in a smaller car with better aero to start with.  :roll: Everything you don't hang in the air is 100% streamlined, no aero penalty.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 06:40:36 AM »
 :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 10:35:10 AM »
Come on... Wheelies are cool!
 From the looks it would seem to be a Turbo engine??? If that's the case then just crank up the boost, and make some more power at the far end of the track ( You did say you had limited traction so extra power would be a waste at the line.. Looks like you have plenty anyway.). Like these other guys are saying... put the nose down, and an air dam.
 :cheers:

Offline Freud

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2011, 11:29:18 AM »
It took a drag race question to bring Smitty out of his Columbia River Rain Forest.

Welcome back, Smithie.

"put your nose down."  Is that an acceptable military command?.

FREUD

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 11:32:19 AM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2011, 10:34:04 PM »
#1  stop blowing the exhasust out the side---put it under the car and point it straight back down the track!!!!!

The exhaust blowing out the sides is just like a 6'x4"x4" sticking out the side of the car.  Not to mention the thrust gained from from pointing it straight down the track!!

I would bet you are also having to crank in a slight strg. correction to the left keep it on track.

Mike Reichen has used a side-exit exhaust for years in his Evo, a brick of a car to boot,
and has gone 237.xxx in the mile @ Maxton. Not sure if that detracts from your comment
or simply shows how much power he's making...

Our car has only done 201.xxx, and I didn't notice ANY side to side push from a side-exit
exhuast, and ours is roughly 6 inches in diameter straight out of an 88mm turbo... Just my .02
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Online jl222

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2011, 12:42:44 AM »

Bville racer needs help in going 145mph in 1/8 mile on the salt :-D
  Lowering the car and putting an air dam as close to the ground as they will let you might help.

JL222

DocBeech

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2011, 01:15:47 AM »
A rear diffuser, with a front splitter would help you out. Also someone mentioned the side exhaust. A rear diffuser with the proper exhaust cuts down a lot of drag.

Custom Splitter: http://aprperformance.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=250&Itemid=44

Offline JDear

• New folks
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2011, 07:25:10 PM »
It has already been said but, the front lip dam will be a great help because the less air traveling underneath the car creates more downforce and also helps to keep turbulent air out from under the car. The less air traveling under the car is more air traveling over the car which is where you want it.

You have already blocked off a lot of the front grill area and what not, what about wheels and tires? The most aerodynamic way to have them is perfectly level with the fender lines and filling the wheel well as best as possible, also with wheels that are not completely open. The more closed off the better.

Side note: you are trapping 145 in the 1/8th? That is freakin moving! That is what I am trapping in the 1/4;)! Daaumn!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2011, 08:36:23 AM »
I have a buddy that his car handled fine at Maxton---didn't do so well a B'ville from Aero push.

on a Monza changing the exhaust from pointing out the side to straight back was good enough for 5 
231.>  236  last little 5 mph was worth a RED HAT!! 
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline nebulous

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2011, 09:47:05 PM »
Lighten it up!
Jack Costella   
"Records are set by effort, not by the stroke of a pen!"

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2011, 11:56:03 AM »
Cold85,
  First off, bad a$$ car but it puts you at a disadvantage to all the slippery late models. Soap box cars & bicycle racers benefit from aerodynamic aids so there's no such thing as "too slow to worry about it".
 Look back at the way they kinda fixed the Charger 500's of 69.
 Inset grill is an aero killer, do a full lexan cover @ the forward most piont of the grill to keep the stock look.
 Rain gutters on old Mopars stick out like the doors are open, get rid of them.
 The generic deck spoiler is too narrow, it needs to come all the way out to the edge of the fender & either roll down or have a fence on it. A row of vortex generators on the back edge of the roof will also help the hole behind the rear window.
 Use some push on weather stripping on the back edges of the bumpers & get them sealed to the body or just finesse some gorilla tape in there to seal the gap.
 As everybody has pointed out, it's a dirty bitch under the front. Get a chin spoiler on it & run a panel back from that to clean it up.
If you can get a little nose down attitude to it (while it's under power) that'll speed up the bottom air as well.
 don't be too worried about getting it down on the ground where all the bellybutton Mustangs & Camaro's are, you're better off letting the old girl breath under there. The bottom edge of the rear bumper & roll pan are like scoops blend them into the body with some fiberglass or plastic sheeting. Lotsa race car stuff at Home Depot.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 12:00:26 PM by kiwi belly tank »

Offline 1 fast evo 2

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2011, 04:29:36 PM »
#1  stop blowing the exhasust out the side---put it under the car and point it straight back down the track!!!!!

The exhaust blowing out the sides is just like a 6'x4"x4" sticking out the side of the car.  Not to mention the thrust gained from from pointing it straight down the track!!

I would bet you are also having to crank in a slight strg. correction to the left keep it on track.

Mike Reichen has used a side-exit exhaust for years in his Evo, a brick of a car to boot,
and has gone 237.xxx in the mile @ Maxton. Not sure if that detracts from your comment
or simply shows how much power he's making...

Our car has only done 201.xxx, and I didn't notice ANY side to side push from a side-exit
exhuast, and ours is roughly 6 inches in diameter straight out of an 88mm turbo... Just my .02

Just for further reference my exhaust no longer goes out the side for just the reasons sparky noted except I never felt it push, but then again the car was quite a hand full to keep going straight.
E.C.T.A. 200 MPH club
Winner HOTROD TOPSPEED CHALLENGE (superstreet) 2008
My EVO 2 - 8.96@158 mph in the 1/4
221.4 mph at Maxton sept. 08
223.6 mph at the Texas mile oct. 08
237.6 mph at Maxton april 2010

Offline cold85

• New folks
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 12:25:14 PM »
Thanks for the help guys I am fighting some high gear problems that are only showing up at the track not on the dyno. We have pulled the motor and are checking everything so until i get that fixed I do not want to fix the aero problem yet. There are some logical sounding Ideas here and I appreciate it. I am going to start trying some as soon as I get my other problems sorted out.
Here is a vid from my runs to win the 275 race last week.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIAy4dueAOg