Author Topic: Premix for starting a mothballed motor, this a good idea?  (Read 1671 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Last year I broke a spark plug off in #2 in impound (red hat qualified). Over the winter I pulled and fixed the head, replaced a few so-so bearings and mothballed the motor and has not been run from last Aug.. The last week I dropped the motor back in the car.

My question is that I opted to use 2 stroke premix (think 40-1) that I use in my weed eater to test run the engine. The reason being is because I was concerned that the engine would do a lot of cranking without starting (not the case, started fairly quick). It was my thinking that because this is an injected engine there would be the potential for the injectors to wash-down the cylinder and cause problems/scaring.

Just curious, never heard of anyone doing this but is this a bad idea or something I should do in the future?

~JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Re: Premix for starting a mothballed motor, this a good idea?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 11:25:53 PM »
synthetic or Dino oil?

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 11:27:24 AM »
Kent, have a synthetic in the motor but will be changed after testing. The motor ran for about 3-4 seconds before I shut it off and will change the gas (only about 1/4 gallon in tank). Just wanted it to fire.

I keep synthetic 100% of the time (paranoid about the clutch), add some zinc for break in and bite the bullet on the cost (use Mobile 1 15-50 full) and change it after dino-tests.

The 2 stroke oil is also synthetic.

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 01:33:38 PM »
I don't think it hurt or helped much. It could cause some confusion to an oxygen sensor.

With the head off just remember to wipe a film of oil onto the cylinder with a lint free rag. Rust is your enemy. On an engine that will set around for a while protecting it from moisture the main thing. On restart if you have a method of getting oil pressure before you first turn the engine over is best, crank it over with the plugs out and no go juice. This is also a good time to do a compression test. Now that oil has a chance to get everywhere and you know there isn't a problem cylinder, start it.