Author Topic: 18" billet wheels  (Read 18862 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: 18" billet wheels
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2015, 09:27:14 PM »
That company was originally founded by Bill Jongbloed and was located at the Chino Airport.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Bill was a friend of mine and think he started his wheel building business in Santa Ana, California. I had a shop a couple of spaces away from him so I ended up over his shop quite a bit. When time permitted, I helped him hand spin sheet aluminum wheel halves on a very big (and old) lathe. Bill was a troubled genius and difficult to understand at times but always a good friend.

John

John;

in the early '90s I visited Bill at his shop at Chino. he made a couple of modular wheels (spun aluminum halves with magnesium centers) for my street Manta Mirage. Expensive but nice. They only weighed 12 lbs.

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
Re: 18" billet wheels
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2015, 10:03:39 PM »
Neil, Bill made very nice wheels and well ahead of their time. He was anal about perfection and one of the best craftsmen I know. I watched him form, fold and rivet a replacement McLaren F5000 chassis with basic tools. He did the same for a Lola F5000 car back when you could find these chassis reasonably cheap.

Bill made a set of FSV wheels for my Lola formula super vee back in the mid 70's. I lived in Santa Ana at the time.

John