Author Topic: Indy or straight?  (Read 17556 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
indy
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2006, 09:53:06 PM »
Actually in Earl's case it was the left rear tire not the right that went down causing the blow over
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: indy
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2006, 12:08:07 AM »
Quote from: Glen
Actually in Earl's case it was the left rear tire not the right that went down causing the blow over

I'm sure you remember better than I Glen, same end result as the tires were blistered.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: blistering tires?
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2006, 12:14:56 AM »
[quote="russ jensen 2nd part, if I rember he was running some pretty wide tires on back , is this a problem with open wheeld cars running eagles??[/quote]

Earl was running Goodyear "front runner" type tire. I'll check my notes to see if the tire he had the problem with was a LSR tire or a drag tire (he has run both) but I'm sure he only ran the drag tire at the lake bed, he used the LSR tire @ Bonneville. This is a 28" tall X 4.5" wide tire on a 15" rim. The LSR tire is made in the same mold as the drag tire but has more plys.
Michael LeFevers

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Yup
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2006, 02:11:25 AM »
The 6 ply Goodrears were provided by them for an Olds project in I think 89 for Jim Feuling and worked pretty good for a lot of stuff.
The future of tires will require the SCTA to take a hard look at the demands and the appropriate regulations before a tire company will buy into the program. It is not as much a business venture as it is advertising for them that has to have the appropriate liability limits in place.
The future of the sport depends on it.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Bob Drury

Indy or straight?
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2006, 07:34:10 PM »
The Goodyear LSR tires are rated to 300mph with a max load of 1750Lbs per tire.  Earl was on the wrong side of 300 if memory serves me.  Russ, one advantage slower cars have is you can usually hear or feel if the tires are spinning, where as the fast boys probably don't have that option.  If you know your car is spinning the tires, its time to dig out the lead.........
Bob Drury

Offline russ jensen

tire spin
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2006, 09:57:11 PM »
:oops: I have a basic problem, I don't drive[ Guy that tested my diesel pogo stick noted<after head blew off> "you don't seem to put your cheaks in jepordy"] I love to listen to engines, I had 2 drivers but 1 used up his 9 lives{not in race car- spray plane} 1 I have left knows nothing but peddle down, and he has used up about 8 of 9, I was told that traction was #1 problem on salt  this driver has trouble on dry slick[ burns up all my tires] thus causing my questions. How much spinning can the eagles take before their junk???
speed is expensive-how fast do you want to go?-to soon old & to late smart.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
HOP ROD ?
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2006, 10:09:04 PM »
I have a HOP ROD from 62. I would love to see you try it. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Bob Drury

Indy or straight?
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2006, 11:28:59 PM »
Russ, at least with the Eagles, you have tread that you can read the wear on.  With the M/T's you pretty much have to guess.  As for Driver #2, the trick is to add the lead ballast anywhere in the car, except on his right foot.......................
Bob Drury

Offline russ jensen

lead foot
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2006, 11:36:45 PM »
:lol: Tried the ballast trick, had only 4100 lb camaro that could pull wheely out of corners on dirt,  but how much weight would it take on a bgmr? enough to pop tires, I kind of gave up on idea of front runners on front because of their low load rating. and I know I will need lots of wt.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: lead foot
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2006, 01:45:11 AM »
Quote from: russ jensen
:lol: Tried the ballast trick, had only 4100 lb camaro that could pull wheely out of corners on dirt,  but how much weight would it take on a bgmr? enough to pop tires, I kind of gave up on idea of front runners on front because of their low load rating. and I know I will need lots of wt.

No simple answer Russ, you can't spin any tires very much at Bonneville. We have even peeled the tread off of land speed Firestone tires back in the '80's.
The Kugel/LeFevers firebird weighs over 5000 lbs. and has run over 300 mph, but as far as tires go you don't have much choice.
Michael LeFevers

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Blistered tire
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2006, 10:29:49 AM »
Russ:

A couple of years ago on my first run with nitrous at the Salt (a bike, for your information) -- I pushed the button at about the 3 3/4.  The tire immediately lit up -- and even though I pedalled it some, I was new enough with nitrous that I didn't let off the button nor get out of the throttle enough, ending up spinning the tire for 1 1/4 miles -- 20-25 seconds.  My guess is that the rear tire was spinning at about 230-235 mph, but the timing slip said I was doing about 217 out the back door.  I've still got the tire -- it was its sixth run, and is now in my museum of parts from which I learn (right next to the pistons with holes in 'em, etc).  Three blisters, about the size of my thumbnail, and it was "let's go to the spare tire, Jon!"  You can do the math about how much -- or how little -- spinning it takes to blister a tire.  The bike & me weighs about 650#, weight dist. is 50-50.

Since then I've added 70# of lead and gone to a progressive nitrous system and a shaved tire, too.

There's some quantitative information for you.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline russ jensen

tires?
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2006, 10:52:20 AM »
:shock: Your last 2 answeres are real helpful, but don't make me feel real confident, has anyone tried non rubber, seems to me years ago somebody ran al wheels direct to salt, but might have been jet? snomobile rule left big loop hole, I was involved  in a nice little rig that was a copy of indy car but had skies in front, was a twin track, but I made a set of al wheels with ice carbides and a rear setup like a lotous, it worke fine but team skidoo had heart failure when it appeareed @ eagle river. my you must sit out till we confer the rule cmty, which of course to the rest of the season, you were legal but not no more thank you.  Would al wheels with studs be legal or would they wreck the salt, or plug up and not work, at least they wouldn't go flat... any ideas out there??

Offline Bob Drury

Indy or straight?
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2006, 11:25:20 AM »
The MacDonald and Pitts Firebird reportedly weighs in at 6500 pounds and runs 297.  If it spins the tires, you MUST keep adding ballast.  The trick is where you put it.  As Mike said, there aint no easy answer.  Marlo Treit and I were looking at a magazine article on Michelins new airless tires they are testing for possible future use.  They are a solid band tire used with a flexible wheel.  According to the article, they work fine on a street vehicle, however are very noisey.  At Bville, who would care?
Bob Drury

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: tires?
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2006, 12:51:01 PM »
Quote from: russ jensen
:shock: Your last 2 answeres are real helpful, but don't make me feel real confident, has anyone tried non rubber, seems to me years ago somebody ran al wheels direct to salt, but might have been jet?.......

.....  Would al wheels with studs be legal or would they wreck the salt, or plug up and not work, at least they wouldn't go flat... any ideas out there??

A number of cars run aluminum wheels/tires, but they can't have a square shoulder and have to be submitted for approval to the contest board at least 45 days before a meet and have to not damage the salt (I'm sure no spikes).

A rule book would answer a lot of your questions and they also list all current records (new one will when it comes out) and lots of other good information.

c ya, Sum

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
The noise you hear is
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2006, 12:59:48 PM »
Noise in a part generates heat and the faster you make it happen, the more it will be and that will take apart your deal.
A traction method that depends on displacing the material across the surface won't put it back for the next guy.
A biker was known to get caught in the rut left behind a very powerful , wandering Roadster and often said "I hope he gets it straightened out soon because this ride all over really sucks." or something like that.
Al, Scott, is that pretty close ? :wink: