Author Topic: Airflow studies on the cheap  (Read 6529 times)

Offline gearheadeh

Airflow studies on the cheap
« on: May 27, 2011, 06:13:00 PM »
During our latest deluge of rain I was reminded of how much I liked watching roadrace cars in the rain. It made the experience of being wet and cold so much more enjoyable. The rain would highlight what is going on around wheelwells and at the rear behind spoilers and the like.
The same goes for Rally cars on a very dry gravel back road (Think El mirage)
You can even turn long boring trips down the interstate freeways into learning time, provided it is raining or even better, it is just cold enough for snow. Then the slush builds up on the side of the car and around the wheelwell openings. When you stop for a restroom brake look at the record of airflow in these areas.
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline Tman

Re: Airflow studies on the cheap
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 09:16:23 PM »
During our latest deluge of rain I was reminded of how much I liked watching roadrace cars in the rain. It made the experience of being wet and cold so much more enjoyable. The rain would highlight what is going on around wheelwells and at the rear behind spoilers and the like.
The same goes for Rally cars on a very dry gravel back road (Think El mirage)
You can even turn long boring trips down the interstate freeways into learning time, provided it is raining or even better, it is just cold enough for snow. Then the slush builds up on the side of the car and around the wheelwell openings. When you stop for a restroom brake look at the record of airflow in these areas.

actually I spent all winter and a wet spring doing this on my 25 mile commute!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 10:01:57 AM »
The low-landers are going "wah".
During my winter travels to nowheresville wyoming, my service truck will build up a nice big white mohawk from the cab up over the box. Probably helps fuel economy but its hard to tell with a dirty big stinkin diesel.
  Sid.

Offline akk

• owner of #920/928 Contrivance Special
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 05:25:11 AM »
If you look really close at any car that runs on the salt there is plenty of evidence of air flow patterns...There is usually a slight haze of salt on all surfaces...a line is quite often a sign of interference drag....a build up is a sign of flow separation ...I am sure the horsepower guys think this is silliness... go think!

Akk
holder of AA/GMR A/GMR B/GMR C/GMR D/GMR E/GMR records