Author Topic: Bretts BMW Salt Flat DREAMS!  (Read 9866 times)

Offline turbo325ii

• New folks
Bretts BMW Salt Flat DREAMS!
« on: May 26, 2011, 01:13:47 PM »
Hey guys, I am a Utah local and have a little 89 bmw 325 turbo that I have built up.  I ran the 130mph club last year, and officially have the SALT FEVER!!!!   So I went to a local salt flat meeting and purchased an official rule book.

The current record for "blown gas coupe" engine class "f" is 203mph... I absolutely want to attempt for the new record in this class.  The only thing I am concerned with is all the safety equipment... I am still learning what all I will need... haha

I guess I need to start with a roll cage, then go from there... piece by piece...

So here is a little background on my car. 

1989 BMW 325i.  I purchased the car over 4 years ago and it has been all downhill from there... haha

I turbo charged the original motor and that was fun... Until I wanted more!!  I have since swapped in an engine from a 96 328i, with m3 cams and forged internals.  I just finished the motor and it has over 2000miles on it now.  I dyno'd the car and it makes

394whp: 9psi

520whp: 15psi

570whp: 18psi.

HEre is a dyno video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQqsrBGdYSc&feature=mh_lolz&list=FLgyrIlzoYZDQ

So I have never attempted to reach the top speed in my car, because there is no where safe to do so...  I mean I have reached 165mph (gps verified) on a stretch of deserted highway in "Mexico" but thats about it...

So how do I even know if I can attain those speeds with my current power levels?  By calculating my gears I have found that with my 1.0:1 final drive, and 2.79 rear end ratio,and 25" tire, and 7000rpm red line "mechanically" my top speed is 194... So even with that being accurate I still have to find 15+- mph somewhere...

So I just wanted to start this thread almost as an introduction/build thread where the experts can chime in and give me advice on the steps needed to prep this car for some salty action!!

Here are some pics and vids of my car on the salt last year!

My brother pushing... hahah

Here is a video on the salt.

Oh yeah, here is a picture with the drag radials on.  Best time so far on 15psi is 11.63 @127mph for the 1/4 mile

Some pics of the engine build only 1 month ago!

JE pistons and Pauter x-beam rods.

tiger power!

File fit the rings.

INstalled rotating assembly.

Getting closer.

thanks for the help dad!

My two babies!  (Chevelle needing a motor currently.  Looking for LS swap)

How the car sits as of 5-25-2011

Anyways, thanks for looking!  I would LOVE to race my car this year on the salt so we will see if I have enough $$$ to get what I need!

Brett

« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 01:20:35 PM by turbo325ii »

Offline GH

Re: Bretts BMW Salt Flat DREAMS!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 01:19:53 PM »
That Tiger Power paint job looks like Arnie Beswicks Pontiacs.

Offline turbo325ii

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 01:38:44 PM »
Thanks Gary!  Your turbo study gives me great inspiration for my own build!  Turbo's just eat up the speed!

Oh, and as far as the tiger stripes, yes they were a tribute to the old school!

Offline SaltRat

Re: Bretts BMW Salt Flat DREAMS! and more?
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 04:09:27 PM »
I'm guessing you made  the 130 club?  IMO, its harder than the 150.

the factory only got about 1500 hp w/ the 1500 F1 motor . . .

Bigger tires might get you a little more top end.  Do the math.

I'd say figure out some taller gears - a factory diff?  different tranny (are all the BMW 5 speeds 1:1 in fifth?)
or gear vendors overdrive.

Boost on the salt is a hoot - make sure you stay hooked up! (w/ about 250 whp I could spin the tires in every gear but 5th)

Have fun, be safe, keep us posted?

SaltRat
When (if?) this baby hits 88mph, you'll see some serious poo.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 06:14:20 PM »
Good luck because it is a "barn door". Your last picture shows some "pods" on the rear quarter panels. If these are not a factory option for the year of the car you may have problems in gas coupe. If the car model was also available equiped with a turbo charger that many also not fit in gas coupe. Other than those questions have fun building what was once a street car in to a race car.........JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline turbo325ii

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 08:01:12 PM »
I'm guessing you made  the 130 club?  IMO, its harder than the 150.

the factory only got about 1500 hp w/ the 1500 F1 motor . . .

Bigger tires might get you a little more top end.  Do the math.

I'd say figure out some taller gears - a factory diff?  different tranny (are all the BMW 5 speeds 1:1 in fifth?)
or gear vendors overdrive.

Boost on the salt is a hoot - make sure you stay hooked up! (w/ about 250 whp I could spin the tires in every gear but 5th)

Have fun, be safe, keep us posted?

Yeah, I did the 130mph club.  I hit 124mph by .5 miles and just held the car there for the last half of the mile haha.

I have done the math, and with my current combo I am gear limited to 194mph, and I am running the lowest rear gear BMW makes. 2.79:1.  To attain over 200 I will likely have to swap transmissions to the later e46 series 6-speed that has a nice overdrive.  I dont have room for the height of tire needed to get over 200mph on my current setup.

Yeah, I am definitely worried about traction... 

Good luck because it is a "barn door". Your last picture shows some "pods" on the rear quarter panels. If these are not a factory option for the year of the car you may have problems in gas coupe. If the car model was also available equiped with a turbo charger that many also not fit in gas coupe. Other than those questions have fun building what was once a street car in to a race car.........JD

My coefficent of drag is actually not that bad.. its .32, but the frontal area is LARGE.

My fenders and rear quarter panels are original equipment for the 89 m3.  I put them on my 89 325i, is that a problem?

The motor swap actually qualifies me for the modified blown gas coupe class. 

thanks for the kind words guys!  I am sooooo excited to start getting into the salt more!!!

Offline makr

• I make my own rules
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 08:10:23 PM »
Nice looking E30...ya know its gods chariot.  :-D

Good luck!
Ride fast, safety last.

https://speedofcheeseracing.com/

Offline turbo325ii

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 08:50:47 PM »
Nice looking E30...ya know its gods chariot.  :-D

Good luck!

It is gods chariot!!!  Makr, do I know you from another forum.  I think your on DriveAddict?  With a name like Makr, their arent too many!

Offline RichFox

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 09:36:29 PM »
I don't know about the wheel bulges. Seems like they increase frontal area and over all drag. But what do I know? I know it's a pretty cool car and hope you have lots of fun with it.

Offline turbo325ii

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 10:19:41 PM »
I don't know about the wheel bulges. Seems like they increase frontal area and over all drag. But what do I know? I know it's a pretty cool car and hope you have lots of fun with it.

Thanks man! 

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 11:04:12 AM »
Love it, its super cool and wouldnt change a thing. I am a big fan of the Bimmers (*all except that my wife had to have her sunroof drive replaced in her X3 last week for only 4000$!!!)

Please tell me you have a nice stereo in it!

~JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 11:05:18 AM »
JH, for that kind of money I'd have been glad to dust off the Sawzall and find a starter motor or something and get the sunroof working again. :evil:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline turbo325ii

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 11:39:55 AM »
$4000 for a sunroof???   :-o  Thats how much I have into my entire car!  Well not really but close....

Thanks for the kind words!  I am determined to race on the salt!  Maybe not this year, because of $$$  I am newly married with a newborn baby.  But I WILL race it there the following year. 

I will be there this year, at least to watch and get some more motivation!

I absolutely cannot wait for the events!

Offline CTRon

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 01:53:17 PM »
did your wife kick your butt for using the kitchen table to file fit your rings?? lol
maxton 2 club member 205.188mph  A/BFR
loring 2 club member 219.807mph  A/BFR
Wilmington 2 club member 202.702 A/BFR
bonneville 2 club member 225.003 XXF/BGRMR

Offline turbo325ii

• New folks
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 05:07:14 PM »
SHHHHH my wife was out of town when I did this   :-D