Author Topic: Where to go, what to see  (Read 13822 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Where to go, what to see
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 09:37:08 PM »
Good idea, Glen.  I think I'll put it there towards the beginning of SpeedWeek (and other Bville events), and maybe in the list of things every racer needs to know before heading to the salt, too.

But I still want Lynda to keep posting that set of rules.  I know she's got tons of spare time and needs something to do to keep out of trouble. :evil:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 10:01:12 PM »
Right, I'll get right on that!     :roll:

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 08:41:22 PM »
Day passes:  $15 per person...good for that day only and will get you back on the salt same day if you leave....as long as they are still racing, the pass is good.

Week passes:  $40 per person...obviously good for the entire week!

Spectators are allowed on the salt starting at 7:00 AM.  This helps keep the traffic down for the racers who are lined up and in a hurry to get to impound.

Just because you're in impound doesn't mean you get to go on the salt before anyone else...you have to wait for the gate to be opened...and I don't open the gate until DW or Roy Creel say so.  Begging, Bribing, Bitc*hing will only cause me extreme displeasure and a "Discussion" will ensue.  Coffee is always a welcome diversion, but won't get you the salt any sooner!    :roll:  And just so you know...I'm NOT a nice person without coffee in my veins, some things never change and that's one of 'em!

Speed Limit at Land's End is 10 mph  go faster, try to break out of line and pass others to get to the salt will definitely delay you longer.  Try to blow past everyone else and I WILL step in front of your vehicle, and NO, I will not jump out of the way.  If you hit me...that "Discussion" word will show up again.

I love all of "my racers" and will not allow anyone, including the racers themselves, to endanger the fulfillment of chasing those dreams on the salt by being stupid 100 feet from the salt.

I'm getting older, getting slower, and seem to have less patience with stupid as time goes by!!

Also, the lane setup will be the same as it was last year, that lane I make in the very center of the road is for the racers, the 2 outside lanes to the right will be spectator lanes, the far left lane is the emergency/exit lane...stay out of there it is not an entrance except for those rare green sticker people!  If your sticker is orange, don't follow up that exit, I'll stop you!

Okay, now that that's out of the way, I'm going to crawl back into my cave and hibernate for a couple more months!!!  See you in August, Everyone Stay Safe!!

Lynda

Okay, new month, same stuff, just lots closer to Speedweek!!

See you on the salt!!

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 10:11:04 PM »
Lynda,
   Any chance you could take a leisurly trip out to the Salt and peek at the condition/water level? Up here in Montana, we have over 9 inches of moisture in a 5 month span where we only get 10-11 inches in a whole year. I'd love to hear that the Salt is in a drought this year. Thanks.
Doug :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2011, 04:38:04 PM »
I'm going to try to go out to Land's End Tuesday, but might not make it until Wednesday, I'll send an update either way!

Better get those builds done it's almost RACE TIME on the SALTFLATS!!!!

Lynda

Offline Hans Blom

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 06:20:24 PM »
If you can manage, bring bicycles...youll wear youself out quick on foot

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 11:12:34 AM »
Day passes:  $15 per person...good for that day only and will get you back on the salt same day if you leave....as long as they are still racing, the pass is good.

Week passes:  $40 per person...obviously good for the entire week!

Spectators are allowed on the salt starting at 7:00 AM.  This helps keep the traffic down for the racers who are lined up and in a hurry to get to impound.

Just because you're in impound doesn't mean you get to go on the salt before anyone else...you have to wait for the gate to be opened...and I don't open the gate until DW or Roy Creel say so.  Begging, Bribing, Bitc*hing will only cause me extreme displeasure and a "Discussion" will ensue.  Coffee is always a welcome diversion, but won't get you the salt any sooner!    :roll:  And just so you know...I'm NOT a nice person without coffee in my veins, some things never change and that's one of 'em!

Speed Limit at Land's End is 10 mph  go faster, try to break out of line and pass others to get to the salt will definitely delay you longer.  Try to blow past everyone else and I WILL step in front of your vehicle, and NO, I will not jump out of the way.  If you hit me...that "Discussion" word will show up again.

I love all of "my racers" and will not allow anyone, including the racers themselves, to endanger the fulfillment of chasing those dreams on the salt by being stupid 100 feet from the salt.

I'm getting older, getting slower, and seem to have less patience with stupid as time goes by!!

Also, the lane setup will be the same as it was last year, that lane I make in the very center of the road is for the racers, the 2 outside lanes to the right will be spectator lanes, the far left lane is the emergency/exit lane...stay out of there it is not an entrance except for those rare green sticker people!  If your sticker is orange, don't follow up that exit, I'll stop you!

Okay, now that that's out of the way, I'm going to crawl back into my cave and hibernate for a couple more months!!!  See you in August, Everyone Stay Safe!!

Lynda

Okay, there are 28 days left until racing starts, so I thought it would be a good idea to bring this back up to the top.....isn't that what quoting is for?  Or, cut and paste?!!  So, hibernation is over, got salt on the poor ol' green van   :-D  Gotta L-O-V-E  it!!  Had another nice warm breezy day yesterday with more coming!!  Races are going to be FAST!!

Remember to bring your pin, not just your membership card...Pin gets you in...Card gets you, well, nothing more than a discussion with me on someone forgetting their pin!  You wouldn't forget the beer, so don't forget the pin!!

See you on the salt!
Stay Safe, Stay Upright, GO FAST!!

Lynda

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2011, 07:39:11 PM »
Speaking of things to see at SpeedWeek - here's a pair of photos I got today from Ron Main.  Do your best to see the #715 Speed Demon at SpeedWeek.  The second one was taken at a screwy angle so you'll have to twist your eyes around a bunch to understand it.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2011, 12:38:21 PM »
Can a spectator go out on the salt friday to watch the cars go thru inspection ? I thought this was answered earlier as a yes but I cant find it. I know we used to do it when they inspected at the airport years ago. Dont want to leave a day early if the answer is no.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2011, 12:59:32 PM »
Yes, Friday is a free day on the salt
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2011, 01:00:28 PM »
Yes.  No questions.  But remember that inspection is (usually) a high stress time for owners, rider/driver, and crew, so don't be pestering them very much.  Say hi, and if they've got the time or inclination -- they'll let you know that it's okay to shoot the breeze for a while.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2011, 02:49:21 PM »
Ive been coming since 1984, I know the unspoken rules, thanks for the answer

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2011, 02:59:01 PM »
Both Thursday and Friday are free days because they are inspecting vehicles.  Pins will be available, probably starting Wednesday.  If you know you will need the week passes, stop by and purchase them from me at Land's End.  Also, if you know you won't have enough passes for your crews, get those early too.  Just like the early inspections, the earlier you purchase your pins, the shorter your wait on Saturday.  Remember, you'll only get 4 pins after going through Tech.  Don't forget the one you just got in the mail!!  Forgetting it will cost you an extra $40 for a pin and you'll be needing them starting Saturday.

Remember, the lane I create in the center of the road is for you racers, it is also the only lane that will be open first thing in the mornings for you to get onto the salt...no crowding, no pushing, no shoving, no jumping the line, I have no problem stepping out in front of you to stop you.  The person in front of you is just as special as you are and deserves the same respect.  You've waited all year to come back to the salt, so don't lose control the last 100 feet of asphalt!!  I'll get you out there, but I'll do it safely!!!

Lineups at the gate can start around 5:30, but no one will go out until an official (Dan Warner or Roy Creel usually) says to open the gate.  You are all important to me, and I WILL keep you SAFE whether you like it or not!!!!!

I'll be on the salt on the 7th!!  HURRAY!!!  It's almost RACE TIME!!!!!

See you there!!

Stay Safe,  Go FAST, Stay Upright!!
Lynda

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2011, 05:30:59 PM »
Without a doubt the most interesting, thought provoking, awe inspiring thing to see at Speed Week is yours truly Jonny Hotnuts. Well worth the price of admission and will be offering group rates.  

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2011, 05:46:25 PM »
And he is so shy and modest. :roll:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing