Author Topic: Diesel Truck Transmissions  (Read 3269 times)

natywo

Diesel Truck Transmissions
« on: February 02, 2006, 03:09:48 AM »
Some of my coworkers and I were discussing fast diesel vehicles, and so I showed them pictures of the Phoenix.  We were wondering what this truck or others like it used for a transmission?

Thanks,
Nathan Woods

Offline Tom Shannon

• http://www.landracing.com
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 12:46:03 PM »
Nathan;

It apperars the "Phoenix" website has been removed. I have a fact sheet from 3/30/04.
Says: Drivetrain by H & S Mfg.
         Rear Drive 1 to 1 ratio
         Main Trans 1 to 1 airshift
         aux trans  4 speed air shift
         custom overdrive by A.F. Dick MFG.
Maybe someone can elaborate?
Tom Shannon
On The Road

natywo

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 04:11:16 PM »
Thanks for the info.

NW

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 04:49:52 PM »
When Bob first came to the salt with his truck, he had no transmission. He had a steel plate scattershield-bellhousing-input shaft- bearing mount  that he had made.
The drive shaft hooked to that. The drive shaft ran above the crossmembers to the rear end. At the rear of the shaft there was a multiple link chain sprocket. On the pinion of the rear end there was another sprocket. Sprocket size was where he got his overdrive ratios to go fast. He had to change sprockets to qualify on the short course because the others were to long legged.
 With the diesel engine running, Carl would push him to about 80 MPH with his modified 460 Ford pickup. Then Bob would let the clutch out and stand on it. Later he went to a belt drive instead of a chain at the rear end. After that - 4 speed trans. was installed. They put the streamlining on and I don't know after that. Bob would always talk to you but it seemed like they were really thrashing and I didn't want to bother.
Ron Gibson, Omaha NE
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.