Author Topic: APS-PG-750 bike reworked  (Read 17179 times)

Offline JimL

APS-PG-750 bike reworked
« on: May 22, 2011, 11:21:11 PM »
Last years bike reworked to run against my 144.360 MPH record

- Engine moved forward 9" to get more weight on front wheel (last year bike lost steering at any speed over about 150 MPH)
- Engine tilted forward to uncover primary drive and trans gears (last year gears were submerged, high drag)
- 6 gallon water tank added ahead of engine, with single radiator behind engine. More weight on front wheel and better cooling.
- Reversed water flow in cooling system (engine, to radiator, to tank, to pump, to heads)
- Larger Mikuni Pro Series TM carbs. These are machined by Mikuni for much higher flow than last years carbs.
- 3/8" removed from mid-step header length to help power above 10,500 RPM
- Higher final drive gears (has 2.22:1 versus 2.33:1 last year). I have more available if it will pull, last year ran 10,500 RPM at 3/4 throttle.
- Bike lowered 2" and rear suspension has new down stop.
- Tailpiece narrowed and flushed for better aero.
- Fairing will be 2" narrower around engine (narrower overall width).

More pics when it gets closer.
Regards, JimL

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: APS-PG-750 bike reworked
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 12:33:49 AM »
It is nice to see that you are still building bikes.  Good luck.  That machine sure looks complicated.

Offline JimL

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 01:10:40 AM »
Thanks....it doesn't look so bad if I turn off half the lights in the shop and kinda "squint".  I've learned you can tell when you're about done....you run out of space for more stuff!  Here's a pic of the other side.

JimL

ps ---you can seen how far I moved the engine....that empty tab next to the tach drive/cable is where the forward upper bolt was located last year (nut with an exhaust tab located at it).
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 01:15:47 AM by JimL »

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 08:39:53 PM »
Hey Jim
i got the fuel tank bottom made for yer buddy.... Do you wanna pick it up for fitment and outlet bung location?
kent

Offline JimL

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 09:40:19 PM »
Will do....also will have your axe ready.  Will try E-flat tuning (down 1/2 is easier on the fingers).

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 11:34:49 PM »
Jim,
Is that basically a modified CX-650 motor?  You know it's hard for us old timers to use the word "Honda"  and "Pushrod" in the same sentence!  Makes my poor old BSA look like an antique (or I guess maybe it is an antique.)   Then there's Tom Mellor's Triumph Triple antique........  Will you be at BUB as well?  I won't be able to make it to SCTA.
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline JimL

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 02:32:02 AM »
Yes, it is a CX650 (674cc) bored to 680cc.  I also have a pair of destroke crankshafts about finished that will build 648cc engines using my same parts.  Shouldn't be any noticeable difference in power.

I'll only run Speedweek...many folks on the car side I like to visit.

Regards, JimL

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 09:33:30 AM »
Hey Jim
So you are sticking with the single engine
And you have sorted out the fairing
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline JimL

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 01:19:31 AM »
Been loaded up for awhile....decided to put together the destroked engine for 648cc, in case I can raise my record or the 680cc engine breaks  :-P.  The destroke engine uses similar pistons with the pin moved down 1.5mm (3mm destroke).    This was a difficult process because of a mixup on the cranks, and one is unuseable due to cracking.  The engine swap will require using the left case from the 680cc engine, which has my chain drive conversion.  I'll also have to swap the clutch, because I only have one Barnett package.

I don't expect the 648cc engine to run much slower....only 30cc difference from what I ran last year.

Pic shows the front fairing rework and how far I've lowered the bike (suspension stops are on the forks).  See you there, JimL
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 01:25:03 AM by JimL »

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 01:37:01 AM »
Looks great Jim!
I always enjoy following your builds. :cheers:
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 04:02:11 PM »
Jim,
Is it legal to be ready this early!? I am thrashing on an air scoop for Steve Nelson's V4/FL lakester and he is thrashing to get the motor together and hopefully we will get it in the car early this week so I can fit the scoop. Aug 12 keeps getting closer and the "to-do" list gets longer. One of the thing you learn quickly is that they will start the races even if you are not there!!!

Great looking job on the faring looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Crosley

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 06:22:04 PM »
I am just catching up to the fresh  work on the bike.... looks great.

good luck!
Tony in AZ...

"If you find yourself in a ditch.... let up on the throttle"

Offline JimL

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 10:04:27 PM »
Rex....kinda don't have a choice this year.  My retirement hits right on Bonneville so some things had to be ready ahead of time.  This might be (knock on wood) the first time in my life that I get to arrive early....instead of day(s) late.  The only year I remember getting a Saturday run was 1969.... not a very good batting average since!  Of course, come to think of it, I was unemployed at the time, having just returned from Nam and had not started looking for work.

Strange loop, how this life stuff goes around in a big circle.  Anyway...I keep going to the shop and firing it up to be sure it still sounds good.  I'll probably have dead batteries by the time I get there  :-P.

JimL

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 01:18:41 AM »
Jim,
Congratulations on retiring!!! I retired last year and can tell you it is great. Now you can spend all of your time in the shop!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 06:41:15 AM »
Jim,
Congratulations on retiring!!! I retired last year and can tell you it is great. Now you can spend all of your time in the shop!!

Rex
Rex,
"all of your time"?  Have you no "Honey do" list?

Seriously, I too am enjoying my retirement.  Sometimes I wonder how I ever found time to go to work.

Jim,
Could you please bring a spare set of bodywork for me to try?   I guess that will be next years project.
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!