Author Topic: Rules alert  (Read 9906 times)

Offline dw230

Re: Rules alert
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 02:03:14 PM »
"Would it not be more helpful to the LSR community to release (not necessarily all) details of what happened to have "four insurance related incidents in a two day event" so that we could be aware for the next event?"

OK, who has not heard of the Mariani streamliner crash? He was close to going out of bounds, tried to save it, didn't.

#2 - a car under power out the back door

#3 - a turn out into the spectator area, out of bounds

#4 - a motorcycle on a tow line that screwed up, tossed the rider(with injuries) and also caused his wife to fall of the towing quad(with injuries)

If you need more detail, please contact the persons I mentioned above.

Three of the four are already covered in the El Mirage procedure manual. The out of bounds regulations , with penalties, have been in the manual for a couple years. Unfortunately, the competitor's actions force the penalties to become stiffer each year. Maybe some day we will reach a level where the entrants will take on the responsibly of conducting a safe meet. The 4th item above is now a part of the procedures.

From another post in this thread:

"Improper belts?? Example please."

The required HNS will require the use of 2" shoulder belts to work properly. This is covered in the rulebook. The mounting points for some of the HNS are not the same as the rulebook. You are asked to mount your belts in accordance with the manufacturer, many have notand the belts can be pulled of the driver's shoulders. This in effect makes the complete system ineffective.

DW

White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 02:30:52 PM »
Thank you Dan.  The Mariani streamliner most everyone heard about but the other three I didn't know about.  Makes sense now.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline dw230

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 06:11:35 PM »
In addition to the towing rule for race, two wheel, motorcycles the  following was sent to me.

Check lateral head restraint compliance
Kill switch at rear or front of vehicle
No fuel lines in cockpit (or permission to have)
Inertia switch
New medical form required for every meet

I have asked Jon to post on the front page when he gets a chance.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 08:33:29 PM »
In addition to the towing rule for race, two wheel, motorcycles the  following was sent to me.

Check lateral head restraint compliance
Kill switch at rear or front of vehicle
No fuel lines in cockpit (or permission to have)
Inertia switch
New medical form required for every meet

I have asked Jon to post on the front page when he gets a chance.

DW

I'm sorry but it escapes me as to how these apply to mc's? Eccept for the medical form of course. 
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 11:18:51 PM »
OH, for want of a comma

I think Dan meant to put a comma after motorcycles,

Which of course changes the meaning of that sentence.

IHATETHEINTERNET

Rick

Offline dw230

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 12:59:02 AM »
Larry,

Applies to everyone. Did you fill out a new med form? That part pertains to motorcycles.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 01:00:32 AM »
Good lookin' out Dan.  To anyone reading this, tell your friends that aren't!  We have had some major changes this year and no we won't just let you "fix it for next time".  

El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 07:18:31 PM »
Dan and Nathan,

I am a bit confussed and concerned over the last paragraph in the quoted post below concerning HNR's

I contacted Safety Solutions a major manufacturer of several varieties of HNR's.  I was told that they in no way require or specify 2" shoulder belts with there HNR's I was also told that during the SFI tests both 2" and 3" belts had been tested and meet the specs.

Is the SCTA or the Tech Inspectors at the course overriding SFI and the Manufacturer ?  I sure hope not... I bought my stuff local (direct from the manufacturer) and consulted with them on the installation..

I hope I read the post wrong !

Keep up the good work of keeping us informed and safe.

Charles

"Would it not be more helpful to the LSR community to release (not necessarily all) details of what happened to have "four insurance related incidents in a two day event" so that we could be aware for the next event?"

OK, who has not heard of the Mariani streamliner crash? He was close to going out of bounds, tried to save it, didn't.

#2 - a car under power out the back door

#3 - a turn out into the spectator area, out of bounds

#4 - a motorcycle on a tow line that screwed up, tossed the rider(with injuries) and also caused his wife to fall of the towing quad(with injuries)

If you need more detail, please contact the persons I mentioned above.

Three of the four are already covered in the El Mirage procedure manual. The out of bounds regulations , with penalties, have been in the manual for a couple years. Unfortunately, the competitor's actions force the penalties to become stiffer each year. Maybe some day we will reach a level where the entrants will take on the responsibly of conducting a safe meet. The 4th item above is now a part of the procedures.

From another post in this thread:

"Improper belts?? Example please."

The required HNS will require the use of 2" shoulder belts to work properly. This is covered in the rulebook. The mounting points for some of the HNS are not the same as the rulebook. You are asked to mount your belts in accordance with the manufacturer, many have notand the belts can be pulled of the driver's shoulders. This in effect makes the complete system ineffective.

DW

ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline dw230

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 09:44:23 PM »
The part about consult wth your manufacturer is what that is about. Both belt widths may work with Safety Solution products, 3" not so much with the others. Did they give you documentation?

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 09:47:48 PM »
  I went to the Deist site, and there isn't any reference to 2" harness and HANS compatability. The only reference to 2" harness is for dune buggys. The only reference to HANS compatability on the Deist site is this.

RollBar Mount Shoulder V-Harness
HANS compatible
3" V-type shoulder harness attaches to any belt
V belt length from bolt-in mouting bracket to the buckle has adjustable ,length of 24 to 33 inches
CamLock or LatchType
Bolt-in

I have an e-mail in to Deist, Simpson, and to Stand21 about their mounting reccomendations. I'll let you know what I hear back from any one of them. I bought the products that I use from SCTA sponsors to keep it local.
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 10:00:52 PM »
Larry,

Applies to everyone. Did you fill out a new med form? That part pertains to motorcycles.

DW

Ahhh, gotcha.
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline jww36

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2011, 11:17:59 AM »
On the original HANS device, which I just purchased from Stand 21, it comes with a "Quick Start Guide" booklet. Towards the back, it has a Frequently Asked Questions page. Under the asked question, "What type of shoulder belts work best with a HANS Device?"
Answer - Any two or three inch shoulder harness system works well with the HANS Device.
John

Offline dw230

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2011, 11:43:36 AM »
There you go.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2011, 11:51:03 AM »
Having used the HANS for several years with 3" belts, there is no problem if set up correctly.

Personally, I would use the 3" shoulder belts mounted very low behind the seat and then the 2" shoulders over them mounted correctly for the HANS. Similar to the 9 point systems used by some NASCAR teams now.

ja*o John
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2011, 01:03:39 PM »
I have recently had some discussions with Bob Stroud about 2 and 3 inch shoulder belts with a HANS device.

(Oh, he still retains a large portion of ownership of the company, and personally handles all LSR stuff)

His recommendation for me in the liner is 3" belts under the HANS and 2" belts over the device.
Each belt requires a different mount height, but the change is to be incorporated in my already complete roll structure.  Add one tube.  On the lakester/liner I use dragster wrap harness that certainly stays close together and has never come off the device.

FWIW - I used the HANS in 04 on the lakester, and in 07 in the Ford Fusion with 3" belts and had no issues.  Mounting points were designed to not allow the harness to spread.

Rick