Author Topic: Rules alert  (Read 9905 times)

Offline dw230

Rules alert
« on: May 21, 2011, 12:46:44 PM »
At the board meeting last night two rules alerts were passed.

First, before arriving at tech inspection ensure that your vehicle is current to the 2011 rulebook. Instances at El Mirage this past weekend were people with no HNS, improper belts, helmet to current requirement, etc.

Do your bail out drill at home. Too many drivers had not  sat in their cars with the HNS or tried a bail out without assistance. You sit in your car more than just on the race track.

Second, effective immediately. No two wheel vehicles are allowed to tow within the pits or on the return roads. The towed start rule on the course is still in place. This rule change is the result of an incident at the end of the meet on Sunday that resulted in injury to a competitor and his wife.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Rules alert
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 01:05:05 PM »
Dan,let me be anal and ask for a clarification.  Your post says that "No two wheel  vehicles are allowed to tow within the pits or on the return roads."  That could be interpreted that no two wheel vehicles may do the towing - or that no two wheel vehicles may be towed.

I know the intent -- perhaps not all here do.  Please consider changing it to "no two wheel vehicles may be towed"...  if that's what the new rule means.  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 01:10:42 PM »
my thoughts also.
thinking that bikes need to be in or on some type of trailer;
not freewheeling ( wheels rolling ).

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 01:11:33 PM »
Does this mean this is no longer legal
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 01:36:54 PM »
Dan, most understand but could be clarified a little. Also put it in the SCTA web site and add to the El Mirage operating procedures. Do you know if this will be added to the tow back rules at Bonneville?
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 02:04:20 PM »
I know the the rule committee will be making a proper statement of the rule/change, if that's what it becomes -- I think Dan was being kind to let us know in advance of what's coming.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 03:17:32 PM »
What about those vehicles with three wheels?
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 04:03:34 PM »
What about those vehicles with three wheels?

I was at the Board meeting last night when the issue of tow ropes came up. The rule said two (2) wheels.
It also said on the return road or in the pits. Try not to read more into it.
Glen, yes, Bonneville too.
The complete wording should be on the SCTA web site soon.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 08:27:17 PM »
  Improper belts?????????????? Example please.
Doug :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 08:56:16 PM »
Wow, there was one incident so an emergency rule had to be made. One incident out of how many times racers have towed with a two wheeled vehicle? How many? Tens of thousands? What next? Maybe if someone crashes on the race course there will be an emergency rule that prohibits racing.
You just can't regulate your way to 100% safety. There will be incidents and that's what happens when people DO things. The only way things will be completely safe is when people can't do ANYTHING. I am out of the SCTA management loop, but one incident does not a trend make.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 09:00:59 PM »
Any details of the "incident" that caused the knee jerk reaction?

Offline dw230

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 12:42:40 AM »
Not a knee jerk reaction. There were four insurance related events in a two day event. The costs are increasing while you sleep the peaceful rest of the 'us against them'.

If you want or need further details please contact the SCTA President or the BNI Chairman. If you feel over regulated maybe LSR is not for you.

Trying to help I negelated to add one word 'two wheel race vechicles'. A sidecar generally has three wheels so is not effected by this rule.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline fastman614

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 11:40:51 AM »
Wow, there was one incident so an emergency rule had to be made. One incident out of how many times racers have towed with a two wheeled vehicle? How many? Tens of thousands? What next? Maybe if someone crashes on the race course there will be an emergency rule that prohibits racing.
You just can't regulate your way to 100% safety. There will be incidents and that's what happens when people DO things. The only way things will be completely safe is when people can't do ANYTHING. I am out of the SCTA management loop, but one incident does not a trend make.

Don

An interesting post..... especially these words-

You just can't regulate your way to 100% safety. There will be incidents and that's what happens when people DO things. The only way things will be completely safe is when people can't do ANYTHING.

Well, I would love fro you to be a renowned world authority on this topic so that I could use this quote to point this out to all of the different mining operations at  which I work during any given year.... as well as to the various Worker Compensation Boards and government agencies charged with protection of workers.... such, though, is probably NOT the case.
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 11:41:40 AM »
Perhaps that was bad phrasing.  Would it not be more helpful to the LSR community to release (not necessarily all) details of what happened to have "four insurance related incidents in a two day event" so that we could be aware for the next event?

Offline fastman614

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 12:08:11 PM »
OOPS!.... I hit a wrong button before I was finished.

The problem is not specifically zealous attempts to regulate 100% safety just for the sake of doing so..... It is about LIABILITY in the event of NOT DOING SO!

The concept of due diligence is at the heart of this..... and, as much as I too disagree with a rules and regulations based approach to making safety happen, I KNOW from experience (my own included) that, given the absence of rules to the contrary, many people will do NO MORE than what is written and will also, at times, hide, misrepresent, obfuscate and otherwise skirt or dodge rules that don't have performance paybacks..... (employers do it ALL THE TIME!.... and due to my being in a project managerial position at times, I am charged with making sure that safety compliance is done in a meaningful manner- BUT DON'T LET ME GET STARTED ON THAT!) Due diligence REQUIRES that any foreseeable safety hazards be eliminated in one of six ways...

the first item of which includes elimination of the hazard (in the case of racing activity of any sort, stop racing) It goes into engineering controls and finally, as a last option, the use of personal protective equipment

The other related concept in the insurance end of things is the concept of moral hazard.... without going into great detail, which may be difficult for me, is that you cannot act in a knowingly danderous, reckless or otherwise destructive manner with regard to the items that are insured and expect your insurance coverage to be in effect. I will use the analogy of buying a new car and entering it in a demolition derby (ore ven deliberately driving it into a wall because you want it replaced with a brand new one.... (but I will NOT go into how Federal Deposit Insurance applies the concept to banksters knowingly acting recklessly with money that is NOT THEIR OWN though)

So, don't be too hard on the SCTA Board members on this... they have, at times, thankless duties that must be performed... and it is like, if we do not want to apply the number one step of due diligence-elimination of the safety hazard.... then we will HAVE to accept the other methods of dealing with risk.

No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.