Author Topic: 3.A.3 lateral helmet rule - How are you handling it?  (Read 23354 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: 3.A.3 lateral helmet rule - How are you handling it?
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2011, 09:15:50 PM »
Jonny, I think I’m heading in your direction with this.  Mocked it up yesterday with a 1x4, some PVC and fiberglass to give my cage guy an idea where we need to go.  I'm thinking I'll have the tubing bent to make it parallel to the top of the cage/  Jonny, what’s the diameter on your tubing for that?

I’m thinking a lanyard with a double acting lock pin (NOT what is in the picture, thanks for that link), attached to the upper net bar will pull the whole thing loose with one fell swoop.

It’s hardly what I would call an elegant solution, but it should work, and will be repairable if the rule changes.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2011, 09:25:42 PM »
Chris, I used 1.25", then added the fireproof padding.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2011, 09:38:39 PM »
I used 1 5/8X .120 (same as cage).
The pin concept should be a convenience item, I overwhelmingly suggest that you can still get out with the bar in place. Its a real pain but I can get out without removing the bar.

On the flip side at at the end of a run, when the door is open, the bar is off and all you have is clear real estate.....

nothing better.

~JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2011, 09:43:58 PM »
I used 1 5/8X .120 (same as cage).
The pin concept should be a convenience item, I overwhelmingly suggest that you can still get out with the bar in place. Its a real pain but I can get out without removing the bar.

:-o

I'm pretty flexible for a fossil, but I AM a fossil. :-D

Offline vette#128

« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2011, 11:38:40 PM »
Since there is a Maxton meet this week-end, sure would be nice if somebody took some fotos of both what is GOOD, and what is BAD.........
Ed
Ed Van Scoy
Four Deuces
(Salt,Dirt & Pavement)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2011, 12:37:09 AM »
I don't believe that the ECTA is requiring this type of lateral restraint, but there are cars that run both Maxton and Bonneville. 

Actually, there have been two SCTA events at Elmo already.  June - 58 cars, maybe 15-20 door slammers?  Might be tough to find examples at Maxton, where many folks only run there.

Offline manifest

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2011, 03:09:57 PM »
Only reason I am posting is because I have to rebuild what I have already built for the second time.  The first version had to much flex when bolted to the seat so the new one is welded.  But what is the reasoning behind having the restraint come to the leading edge of the helmet?  Would it not do the same good if it was only required to come past the center line of the helmet?  If the belts and HNR are working correct no one should lung forward the way Mr. Thompson did.  I to have to come up with a way to get in and out of the car with this in the way and further more how to get the seat in the car with it.

Zach

Offline Leadfoot

« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2011, 03:42:14 PM »
Yes this too puzzles me, what thought process was used to a cover ALL rule implementation. Door slammers also have the door netting on the window side.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2011, 06:21:09 PM »
     When my Son and I went to DJ safety to have him fitted for a head restraint, Joe Hansen showed us the videos of the sled tests for SFI.  With a properly installed and adjusted five point harness it was still possible for the body to compress enough to allow enough rotation about the pelvis to bring the head and shoulders far enough forward to be out of the "center of the helmet containment" . Note this is the whole upper torso pivoting under the shoulder belts not just the head moving forward. Without the side extensions to the containment device the head can be twisted sideways upon returning to the upright position. I was not a believer either until I saw those videos, the amount of movement was chilling. I think the next change we are all going to have to make will be to the upper shoulder belt mount putting the belt at or only one inch below the height of the shoulder with no excess length to decrease torso rotation.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2011, 07:07:35 PM »
  Well let's see here.  SFI certifies the belts.  SFI says one type of belt stretches less than the other type.  SFI certifies both the same.  What the hell is going on here?     Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2011, 07:53:28 PM »
"I think the next change we are all going to have to make will be to the upper shoulder belt mount putting the belt at or only one inch below the height of the shoulder with no excess length to decrease torso rotation."

We got "logged" on that at the May El Mirage.  Now changing mount positions.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2011, 09:25:10 PM »
  Per Stand 21 literature: 20-40 degree "V" angle from the mounting point to the shoulders, and 10-20 degree down angle from the top of the shoulder to the mounting point. Both 2 and 3 inch belts are OK, but 3 inch are preferred. Is this wrong? Does anybody else have  numbers and angles that are different than this. It's getting close to the time to start packing, and changing this stuff on the starting line isn't easy.
Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]