Author Topic: 3.A.3 lateral helmet rule - How are you handling it?  (Read 23266 times)

Offline oldracer19

• Plan B Racing
Re: 3.A.3 lateral helmet rule - How are you handling it?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 11:12:33 AM »
According to waht Steve told me yesterday, a swing out bar IS allowed. He also mentioned that although nets are allowed, they must be very stiff, less than 2" deflection.   Nets had been my planned solution, but I am looking at adding a diagonal bar on the right, and either a diagonal or swing out on the left.
"because plan A never works"

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 12:07:48 PM »
  MM, I have both a slanted door bar like yours ( although higher at the B pillar) and a horizontal swing out door bar.
  To make this work I have a double net with the top one dropping down to the horizontal bar and the bottom one from the horizontal bar down.
  I have had no problem with tech inspections as I had them both custom made to make sure there are no places where my arms or feet can protrude.
  I would not, however, want to imply that this excludes any car from the lateral helmet support rule.
  What I am currently working on is a removable extension for the driver's side helmet support that incorporates a " slide in" male/female reciever with quick release pins.
  As my previous sentence states, if I can make it work, you would climb in, then slide the extension in place and insert the pins from the driver's inboard side with large pull rings (I wear SFI 20 gloves) so for emergency egress the driver would simply pull the pins, pull the extension forward, and hopefully quickly emerge from the cage.
  Quite frankly, if this doesn't pass muster, I am a dead duck.
  I have spent about eight hours trying out different attachment method's and nothing else will allow me to climb in or out with my helmet and head/neck restraint on.  If you are on fire, you don't have time to try and remove your helmet which in my case is nearly impossible anyway.
  For a rule intended to increase safety, this one is a definate Edsel.
  Without trying to be a alarmist, I fear someone may suffer dire consequences from this rule.
  Since Kiwi Steve seems to be the champion of this rule, I would like to invite him to post how he think's this rule should be interpreted in tight situations like yours.
  This has been my gripe for years...rules being implemented withoout having reasonable knowledge about implementation and effect.  Bob

« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 12:17:06 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 08:45:14 PM »
Bob - something like this?  It's a mock-up made of PVC and Lexan - just happen to have some of THAT stuff lying around these days . . .

I'm thinking a verticle hitch pin through the pipe and the bung.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 09:34:07 PM »
  I don't see why not.  I made mine ( which is a different set up from what you have shown) out of 1/4 inch aluminum, and you could always add a stiffener (flat bar, angle or solid rod) on the outside if you have room.
  Mine is tied into the existing flat plate lateral support by making a sandwich bracket .
  My extension is 8 1/2 inches showing, but it slides into the sandwich (female) slot 6 inches, and then I added four quick release pins.
  Just remember that after you add the 1" SFI padding (JAZ Products) you only have 1" max to your helmet on each side.
  You could either stack more plates to the inside, or a piece of tube, or what ever........    Bob
  p.s. Sorry I am too stupid to post pictures, but I don't have any teenager's around, and I am allergic to directions..............
Bob Drury

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 09:40:42 PM »
Chris,
if you had a piece of sliding fit pipe that went around the bar there you could have the helmet support swing away,

it could be spring loaded so you pull it against spring tension into position,

then you have a locating pin to lock it in position .
The  pin should be spring loaded so as to pop out when released,

it should also be captive, you pull on the chain ( which is attached to an R clip or some such through the pin)

the pin pops out the helmet bar swings sideways and then you can do your chinese contortionist act.....
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 10:30:07 PM »
Chris,
if you had a piece of sliding fit pipe that went around the bar there you could have the helmet support swing away,

it could be spring loaded so you pull it against spring tension into position,

Doc, great idea (as usual), but it won't quite clear the door opening - opposite side photo -

This may well be the best bet at this point.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 08:34:53 AM »
Make a plate that slides straight back under spring tension, that's even easier...it can have a brace on the back, whatever, it doesn't even have to slide straight back either,  it can follow the line of the top there where it curves in towards the back window.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2011, 09:56:20 AM »
Make a plate that slides straight back under spring tension, that's even easier...it can have a brace on the back, whatever, it doesn't even have to slide straight back either,  it can follow the line of the top there where it curves in towards the back window.

A pocket-door arrangement, I think you're saying?  Hmmm - maintaining the padding and the helmet clearance might be tough, but that could be workable.  Maybe just integrate it into the existing head brace and bolt it to the hoop?

Ooooh - springs, buttresses, drop-pins - clanking metal.  Too bad there's no room for the boy wonder on the passenger side - we could keep Gotham crime free for weeks!

Seriously, though, a good idea. 

Doc, your other idea got me thinking that I could do a sliding collar on the horizontal bar that runs parallel to the top of the door opening, and pins to the cage with the impending upper door net rod.  Unlock the front of the net, pull back the net with the rod, drop the net with the attached pin, flip up the restraint, and bingo, like Houdini, I'm out.

Thanks - I WILL figure this out. 

I have no choice - the die is cast. 

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 03:21:00 PM »
Hotnuts was here.
Bob Drury

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 03:28:03 PM »
He is still here......................  In  the picture with the new extension removed, what is hard to see is where the paint is removed from the existing lateral restraint, there is a slot which is part of the original bracing.  That is where the long leg of the extension slides into and provides deflection resistence to the entire piece.  Obviously I am not done but it gives you a rough idea on helping a arthritic 64 year old fat man get out in a hurry............  Bob, with a big assist to the fabulous one, Mr. Jonny Hotnut's and his computer magic.............
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 04:04:28 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 07:28:24 PM »
Bob, Jonny, thanks for posting the pics.  Trying to apply this rule to confined production cars has been a headache at best.  Nice work - your solution looks great, and I'm hoping that it doesn't cause any undue heartache in a worst-case scenario.

Anyone else trying to make this deal work on a door slammer?

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2011, 08:48:51 PM »
My solution was to mount a full containment seat very far back from dash, allowing the most door opening to get in and to slide back into the seat that has built in hip, rib, shoulder and head restraints.

In these photos the helmet is not fully against the head rest as I am when buckeled in,,, I was having trouble keeping a helmet in there while trying to take the picture.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2011, 12:20:46 AM »
  Charles, my only question is: the ISP padding appears to taper toward's  the front.
  If so, does it meet the criterea for 2 inches to structure, and 1 inch to helmet rule?
  Does the rule mean that at the furthermost forward point of the lateral restaint the total width can only be four inches to structure (helmet width plus four inches minus two for SFI 1" padding)
  I hope it does not, and means that at that point the helmet width is moot.
  It would save a lot of us a lot of headaches.
  Dan, could you help us here?  I would hate to see guy's like Charles tow across the Nation and fail tech.                                          Thanks, Bob
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 12:26:41 AM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2011, 12:25:12 AM »

This is how mine look currently, will have to extend the bars a bit to reach the end of the helmet.
The Drivers side bar fits over a solid 1.5(ish) stub and has a pull pin. After the run a pull of the pin (manually backed up but uses a cable and air cylinder) the bar is removed to facilitate more egress. This system has worked great for 4 years now.

Note the genuine Holstein cow hide rapped SFI padding headrest (that just how I roll). I had an inspector say the hide was a fire concern....that is until I pulled out my Holstein welding gloves!
-stupid I know, but still makes me laugh.

~JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2011, 12:29:09 AM »
  Y'er still a stinking preevert..................... :evil:
Bob Drury