Author Topic: 3.A.3 lateral helmet rule - How are you handling it?  (Read 23362 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
3.A.3 lateral helmet rule - How are you handling it?
« on: May 19, 2011, 07:48:40 PM »
I'll no doubt have to get an official ruling, but let's discuss . . .

If one were to install their window net in such a manner that the rear of it was inside the plane of the head restraint and hoop, and the net extended past the front of the helmet, would that meet the 3.A.3 requirement?

Here's a mock-up of what I'm thinking - and no laughing at my sewing skills, thankyouverymuch . . .

Thoughts? Comments?

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Tman

Re: 3.A.3 lateral helmet rule - How are you handling it?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 12:05:01 AM »
Dunno about the net but is the Carlap siding legal for qtr and rear windows? :-D

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 08:26:36 PM »
  Well I installed my mock up lateral restaint's in the Stude today.
  It looks like I will have to climb in, have the crew bolt the drivers side on, and hope the car doesn't catch on fire, cause there ain't no way I am going to squeze my 6'3" 250 lbs. back out with that idiotic side plate installed.
  And I hope to God that Roy Creel anounces at the drivers' meeting that it is illegal to stop a race car or pit vehicle on the turn out/return roads because you no longer will have much if any peripheral vision coming off the course at speed.
  My helmet is 14" from front to rear, and I am too tall to climb over the cage side bar and under the side plate.
  I can't wait to watch everyone in impound  trying to get out of their car's.  They better have lot's of butter........................................ :-(   Bob
Bob Drury

Offline dw230

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 08:31:51 PM »
Bob,

I know that you are a rare visitor to impound. Most everyone is out of the car by the time they get to me.

May I suggest you meant inspection? El Mirage in May was interesting.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 08:38:57 PM »
  Dan, of course you are right, but if I hear "Golden Throat Glen" say report to Impound, My head will be to big to get out of the car, with or without lateral restraints.
  And to be truthfull, I think I have come up with a quick release restaint plate that may allow less butter................... Bob     :cheers: :cheers:
Bob Drury

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 09:08:57 PM »
Bob --

You shouldn't turn off if you still have lots of speed (I know).  And, in my opinion, the only way to take a car on its long journey to Impound is with a tow bar.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 10:02:42 PM »
Bob, from the home of the finest butter in America, it won't help on the egress -

I was able to do it last year at fighting weight - 6'5", 192 - actually got pretty quick at it.  I installed a removable steering wheel this last winter, hoping to make it easier.  The rule book makes mention of a "restraint net".  It's my hope that positioning the door net past, and inside the main hoop and left head support will be sufficient.  The widest part of the helmet now locates 1 1/2 inches from the main hoop on the left side, and a net should be adequate to keeping my noggin from prematurely exiting.

Dan, it was precisely your comments on the practice bail outs that have me scratching my head as to how to make this work.  That lateral extension to the front of the helmet rule broadsided me.  I was grateful for the addition of the "restraint net" wording - I'm just trying to figure out how to make it work legally.

Dan - Did you get my PM about a month ago regarding the blow shield?

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 10:18:28 PM »
Good god man, are you plastic man?  You must have been a gymnast in high school. :-o Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 10:53:11 PM »
Chris --

I guess I'm thinking outta school -- but couldn't you quick release the hardtop in an emergency?

When we get out of a roadster -- standing up is good enuf.  We don't have to trash the tonneau just to show them we're getting out.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »
Chris --
I guess I'm thinking outta school -- but couldn't you quick release the hardtop in an emergency?

Like James Bond? :-D COOL!

The top attaches with bolts on the back, clamps on the windshield frame, and I'm expecting the top will need to be further secured with straps, ala the "T-Top" rule.  Additionally, there's a cross brace across the top of the cage - the opening is smaller than the door.

I guess I'm looking for an example from somebody who has used a net to successfully conform to the new rule.

Offline oldracer19

• Plan B Racing
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 11:43:31 PM »
I asked the same question, as my window net like yours is very close to the seat.  I was told by Steve Davies that I COULD NOT use the side net as the required helmet support.

So, back to the drawing board!! :-D
"because plan A never works"

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 12:40:43 AM »
  MM, the last time my body was in a contorsion like that was looking for my glass eye on the floor in a cafe booth full of fat ladies...................  I was in traction for months.
  What happens if you get a leg cramp?  You could total that, that .... what the hell is that?
                                                          :evil:Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 12:46:12 AM »
  Well this at least show's how many racer's can fit in a midget.............(please hold the applause)
   I sure would like to see some of Tony's Avitar All Star's ingress or egress that car........... :-o :-o :-                                                                   Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 09:09:42 AM »
  Will they allow you to use a swing-out side bar?
  Doug  :? :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 09:36:17 AM »
   I sure would like to see some of Tony's Avitar All Star's ingress or egress that car........... :-o :-o :-                                                                   Bob
I'll be right there waiting for 'em.

"Here, honey, hold this steering wheel, I'll grab the shifter - or - I can hold the wheel and you can . . ." :wink:

Will they allow you to use a swing-out side bar?
  Doug  :? :cheers: :cheers:

That's one I'm trying to engineer, but the rule specifically says a net is a possibility, and I'm still looking for some applications that incorporate that.  Two nets?  Maybe a triangular sprint car net AND a door net?