Author Topic: Mariani liner  (Read 12058 times)

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: Mariani liner
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 01:36:09 AM »
I was on course at the return road just finishing my run when the Mariani rig came two vehicles after me I think.

While I was still all geared up sitting on my bike, I saw the liner go through the lights, and it was hauling the mail. The shoot ballast dropped, shoot blossomed, but he blew by my position still really fast. From my vantage point, it looked like just as he hit the backdoor cones he cranked the liner sharply to the left to keep her from going farther. Big ballsy move IMO to keep her from going farther. Kudo's to the pilot for making a sacrifice like that to keep her from going farther outside.

The liner then pencil rolled and got nose to back side about 130° in the air, then the body popped off.  Even with my helmet on still, I could hear the stuff flying off and the awful sound it makes when a vehicle rolls several times. It looked pretty violent, but thankfully as said above he got out OK.

I will say this, that thing was movin' and sounded like she had a lot still left in her at the lights before they shut down.  I hope they get her back together and straight, cause she will be a sight to see at B'ville for sure.  Best to the Mariani's and hope to see you at B'Ville with her.

Papi what chute ballast did you see...?

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 12:14:57 PM »
Thanks for all the info.  I'm glad to hear the the driver is ok, also very glad to hear that they're shootin for SW to run on the salt.  The initial info I got indicated that the car was a write-off.  This sounds much better.

Papi, thanks for the detailed eye-witness account.  I got goosebumps imagining the sound of the crash.  Again, I'm very happy to hear that it wasn't worse...as it certainly could have been.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 09:13:50 PM »
I heard from a friend that the car went straight to Steve Moal's shop in Oakland for a once over. Maybe he can fix the back of the body so it works a little better. Looking at the pic of it at speed there sure is lots of turbulence behind the car from the looks of the dust cloud that was being pulled along behind it. El Mo dust is a great indicator of how well your aero is working.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 09:58:33 PM »
Was this an issue of not enough shut down area? or was the driver late on the chute release?
I know that Saturday there were a few cars that did not pop the chutes and used quite a bit of the shut down area.

John
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 10:49:42 PM »
Was this an issue of not enough shut down area? or was the driver late on the chute release?
I know that Saturday there were a few cars that did not pop the chutes and used quite a bit of the shut down area.

John

It was not from having to short Of a shut down, I can promise you that..

Glad to see the driver after the rough ride was OK with only a small cut on the back of his left wrist.

I told him after i saw him in inspection that I was glad he was OK.

The shut down area is now 300 feet longer than when cars were running over 300 mph so a liner running barely over 200 mph should not have ANY problem stopping with proper chutes and chute deployment at nearly 100 mph slower.

He will be back and not only take the record he will receive the highly coveted El Mo "Dirty 2" hat as his reward.

John

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2011, 12:00:10 AM »
Thanks John, I had to ask.

How much room was left when you were 250+ last year?

I am sure the car will return and get into the "Dirty 2 Club"

John
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2011, 12:06:01 AM »
I had 5 feet or so however the shut down was 300 feet shorter than it is now..hw was only running 220 or so and the 911 Roadster went 247 and stopped well in time..Freddy went 262 and stopped short also..

Offline lvsalt

• http://www.dcwaterjet.com
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2011, 11:34:44 AM »
Glad to here driver is OK, Great bunch of guys :cheers:
Gary Cole     DCWATERJET Z

Offline Mac

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2011, 04:12:00 PM »
Spoke to Mark Friday and Dennis is fine. He mentioned his dad wouldn't admit if he was sore anyway. Engine was out of the liner by Tuesday and body is at the race shop getting fixed as we speak. They intend to have it ready for Bonneville.

MM

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 12:31:10 AM »
I had 5 feet or so however the shut down was 300 feet shorter than it is now..hw was only running 220 or so and the 911 Roadster went 247 and stopped well in time..Freddy went 262 and stopped short also..

I was on the far end with my rookie group and we were lucky enough to see Fred come through the lights.  Fred got it shut down and turned off in about a half mile.  All the other cars and even some motorcycles rolled out further than Fred did and they were clearly going much slower. 

IMO people need to learn to get their chutes out as they're going through the lights, not a quarter mile after the finish line. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 09:20:52 AM »
Immediate chute deployment into CLEAN air is a necessity at EL M---from one who's miss packed pilot chute shot straight out and we had to go to back up.  We are going to a stand alone pilot whose tube will be aimed up and OUT instead of straignt back on the new car. From some one who came close tp breaking the NON magic back door  :-o
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!