Author Topic: Clarification on push bar  (Read 13150 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Clarification on push bar
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2011, 12:35:09 PM »
Opens for me, used Firefox and internet explorer on two different computers.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2011, 01:09:02 PM »
Charles, are you coming to Speedweek or World of Speed?
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline desotoman

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2011, 02:37:49 PM »
Be`tween´
prep.   1.   In the space which separates; betwixt; as, New York is between Boston and Philadelphia.

If you look at the following pictures, you will see a round piece of tubing extending out of the body of the roadster. Off of that round tubing is attached what looks like a square or rectangular piece of tubing the same size as the round tubing that extends the width of the car to the round piece of tubing that is extending out of the body on the other side. This in my opinion is the push bar. If you look close enough you will see that the piece of square or rectangular tubing which is the push bar does not extend back to where the holes are drilled, as you can look through the holes and not see the tubing being continued back that far.

Isn't the flat plate exactly what the rule book is talking about as it starts very near the rear of the roadster body and continues forward to encompass the front of the push bar.

Tom G.

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2011, 02:45:23 PM »
To me it looks like part of the frame structure of the roadster, to which the bumper is attached.  :cheers: Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2011, 07:20:37 PM »
Charles, are you coming to Speedweek or World of Speed?

Fred, I had a ride to WOS,, that fell through.. I have the time off and can get there,,, so yes WOS is the plan as long as we get the E motor done in time for Loring to test for WOS ( I blew the E motor in April at Maxton) Block has just arrved, I am taking it to the motor shop Wednesday.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline JamesJ

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2011, 09:26:37 PM »
To me it looks like part of the frame structure of the roadster, to which the bumper is attached.  :cheers: Tony

I could go for that, but I dont think that anyone would care if it was like that without the paneling on top of it.

Offline dw230

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2011, 03:01:27 PM »
While there are now three pages of complaints I submitted a rule change request. You too can do the same.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2011, 05:15:02 PM »
Off of that round tubing is attached what looks like a square or rectangular piece of tubing the same size as the round tubing that extends the width of the car to the round piece of tubing that is extending out of the body on the other side. This in my opinion is the push bar.

Tom, I'll offer up my thoughts as another perspective here. 

I don't agree with you that the square tubing is the push bar.  To me, that entire "thing" hanging off the back of the car is the push bar.  That isn't paneling on top of those round and square tubes.  That looks to be a piece of 1/2" thick steel plate.  I can see that big giant plate offering up two things: ballast and structural strength.  Paneling in my eyes would be sheet metal that's in place to fill the gap between the body and the push bar should there be a gap at all to begin with.  I see no gap between the back of the body and the push bar and I see no sheet metal in place to fill a gap that isn't there. 

Paneling would be 16 gauge sheet metal that might have louvers punched in it and is held in place my dzus fasteners.  That big piece of plate is welded on, isn't it?
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2011, 05:33:27 PM »
"It depends on what the definition of 'is' is."  POTUS #42
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2011, 05:50:15 PM »
Tom, I'll offer up my thoughts as another perspective here. 

I don't agree with you that the square tubing is the push bar.  To me, that entire "thing" hanging off the back of the car is the push bar.  That isn't paneling on top of those round and square tubes.  That looks to be a piece of 1/2" thick steel plate.  I can see that big giant plate offering up two things: ballast and structural strength.  Paneling in my eyes would be sheet metal that's in place to fill the gap between the body and the push bar should there be a gap at all to begin with.  I see no gap between the back of the body and the push bar and I see no sheet metal in place to fill a gap that isn't there. 

Paneling would be 16 gauge sheet metal that might have louvers punched in it and is held in place my dzus fasteners.  That big piece of plate is welded on, isn't it?

I took another look at the first pic and would like to further my point.  The big piece of plate is a structural part of the push bar.  If you look below it it appears that additional ballast is in fact bolted to it and the parachute is anchored to it.  That plate is a structural part of the car. 

Offline desotoman

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2011, 06:21:31 PM »
Nathan,

Thanks for your thoughts on this subject. I am still waiting for a reply from Russ. Maybe he is really busy right now and doesn't have time to answer. If I don't hear from him by Monday I will call him.

I never have thought of a "panel" having a specific thickness, but I have thought of a "sheet" of metal being measured by a gauge type of measurement with the thickest being around 10 gauge.

Thanks,

Tom G.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2011, 10:29:14 PM »
Nathan, me boy.  I really doubt if you think that is necessarily part of the push bar.  I don't think that car has a flat-pan Hydro, but ask your dad about the joke from the 50's about the Hydramatics getting push started at 35 mph.  That one would survive.

I've got a lot of respect for your opinions on this forum, but I think you may have missed the mark on this one.  No way is that needed for structural strength.  It is a panel -- even if it's 2" thick.  But it's also not the only one.  That's what I'm talking about.

Stan 
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2011, 05:47:34 PM »
Stan, I appreciate the kind words but I think this highlights what some savy racers do better than others and that's pushing grey areas in the rule book.  Obviously the intent of the rule is to prevent horizontal paneling from being placed behind the back of a car for aerodynamic purposes (a pseudo-wing or spoiler).  The rule is presuming that the competitor is in fact using a tubular push bar that is some distance away from the back of the car to begin with.  What I don't think it says distinctly in the rule book is that push bars must be tubular and not plate to begin with.  I don't think the plate was needed for structural strength but that is what it's providing. 

Our ancient roadster has a push bar made out of 3x3 square tubing that also has the 'chute anchored to it.  I don't see anything that prevents someone from making their push bar out of 2x8 rectangular tubing.  The long side of the tube is 8" of chord of an aerodynamic element in effect, wouldn't ya say?  This is where I shrug my shoulders.

If the intent is to prevent aerodynamic advantages, I question whether or not horizontal paneling mounted that low on a car offers any kind of advantage. 

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2011, 06:37:06 PM »
"If the intent is to prevent aerodynamic advantages, I question whether or not horizontal paneling mounted that low on a car offers any kind of advantage."

That's right -- you and I don't know.  And if it did, would it do it on every style of roadster.  Why not mount it 30" above the ground, tie it into the headrest fairing, put a couple of 1/4" holes in it, make sure your truck has the bumper the same height (a 4WD would do), and cover all the rest of the decklid.  A hell of a pushbar, and functional, too.

Nathan, it's getting harder and harder to identify a roadster.  This crap has gone too far.  A little slip here and another here and pretty soon it's the norm.  You, too, have seen it happen.

Give me a call and I'll tell you how I really feel.  About flush doors, flush coupe' pillars, flush gas tank lids, etc.

And -- Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline desotoman

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2011, 07:57:44 PM »
Stan,

Here is a video of a coupe in the wind tunnel, 2:20 shows the rear airflow. I wonder what the smoke trail would look like without a top and spoiler. I cannot find one for a Roadster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PoIoQNIoMQ&feature=related

Tom G.

PS. I got a ruling from Russ on this subject and will post it when I have time.