Author Topic: Clarification on push bar  (Read 13175 times)

Offline desotoman

Clarification on push bar
« on: May 16, 2011, 02:13:23 PM »
I need “clarification on the push bar rule” before I build one of these for my Modified Roadster. The following picture shows the push bar on a Roadster that just set a new record at El Mirage.

The 2011 SCTA Rule book, Car Competition Specifications, Section 2.I Push Bars, page 20 states,

“All cars incapable of starting under their own power shall be equipped with bumpers or push bars. Push Bars shall not offer any aerodynamic advantage. No horizontal paneling is allowed between the rear of the body and the bumper / push bar. No tow starts are permitted from the starting line without special approval. All cars shall be equipped with a push bar or a readily available tow attachment.”

I'm not sure if there is an aero advantage, but how far out from the body are you allowed to put horizontal paneling with holes in it?  Could I extend it another 6 or 12 inches?  How much flat paneling is allowed as long as it has holes in it? What is the percentage of horizontal surface that must not be exceeded? Is there a height requirement for the push bar?

Any help appreciated,

Tom G.  
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 02:16:35 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline gearheadeh

Re: Clarification on push bar
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 02:26:07 PM »
I can't wait to see where this one goes! :mrgreen:
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 04:33:14 PM »
Didn't Roy Fjastad's 777 modified roadster have a push bar that looked like a wing? I believe that gfisher, the current owner of the roadster, mentioned that to me. Doesn't mean it's legal, I'm just asking.

EDIT: Here's a pic
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 05:56:57 PM by 38flattie »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 10:08:39 PM »
How in the H could that possibly be considered a horizontal panel?  It looks 2 or 3 degrees off to me!

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline desotoman

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 03:13:26 PM »
Where is the tribal knowledge on this subject?  What percentage of the surface area of the flat plate has to be drilled for this to be legal? Do the holes have to be located within a certain portion of the flat plate?  The picture looks to be no more than 5-10 percent of the area of the flat plate. Is that what the percentage is? Someone must know.

Tom G.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 03:31:34 PM »
Where there is a rule, there is always an LSR racer looking for a way around it!!  :-D

Offline dw230

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 05:12:42 PM »
Tom,

Contact Russ Eyres per my suggestion. You won't get an answer here. Second thought, you will get an answer and it may be the one you want.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 05:32:13 PM »
Tom, From what Russ told me it is legal to run as long as it doesn't touch back of the body and their are holes drilled in it.  Somewhere in my files I have his email conforming this.  Tony

Picture by Woody.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline desotoman

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 01:22:28 AM »
For General information, I sent an email to Kiwi Steve and Russ. Kiwi Steve told me to contact DW, which I did. DW told me it was legal because of holes and to contact SCTA rule clarification at SCTA website which I did. SCTA website got back to me and said they had forwarded it to the Roadster committee. I still have not heard from Russ and I emailed him direct and SCTA forwarded him the question I sent to them. So I guess it is in Russ's hands now for a clarification on what I can or cannot do.

Thanks,

Tom G.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 01:26:13 AM by desotoman »

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 10:10:54 AM »
Tom,
Can't you see that this is a very "multi-functional" down force device. It looks like it weights a ton, they have a block of lead bolted to the bottom, it possibly, maybe, kind of, almost could generated some aero down force, it is a push bar and most importantly you can use the holes to hold your Starbucks while you are waiting in line!!! If you ask me, and you shouldn't , every car should have one.

Don't forget to measure the bottom of the Starbuck's venti cup before you drill the holes.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 11:26:26 AM »
summ u roadster guys velly velly trickee  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 11:40:33 AM »
  Man, I could use one of those to sit on waiting for the push truck/cold beer delivery after a run.
  And no, climbing back into the car is not a option with a 25 gallon tank of hot water in the passenger seat............... 
  Maybe I could make a fold down one....................  :roll:     Bob
Bob Drury

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 12:33:16 PM »
Make it retractable....
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline krusty

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 04:18:54 PM »

In keeping with the most recent modified roadster rules, I think that the surface should not cover more than 65% of the perimeter, that is, it should have 35% holes  :evil: ( and not a bunch of really small ones).     vic

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 04:57:50 PM »
Oh look! Another one just like the other one!! :-o
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz