Author Topic: Gas Coupe Question  (Read 3496 times)

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
Gas Coupe Question
« on: May 15, 2011, 12:27:26 PM »
I am helping a friend build his 2010 Camaro into a gas coupe and a question came up.  Can you remove the side mirrors and reshape the fender to match the door in gas coupe? I am not familiar with gas coupe rules didn't know what to tell him.Tony

“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Gas Coupe Question
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 01:03:44 PM »
I am helping a friend build his 2010 Camaro into a gas coupe and a question came up.  Can you remove the side mirrors and reshape the fender to match the door in gas coupe? I am not familiar with gas coupe rules didn't know what to tell him.Tony

I'd tell him to start with a 2010 Camaro. :-D

Sorry, Tony - couldn't let that one just lay there.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 01:05:21 PM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline maguromic

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 01:11:24 PM »
You got me!  :cheers: Been pulling late nights at work into the wee hours and the mind is a little slow. I should have said 2000 Camaro.  Tony

Offline RansomT

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 02:48:51 PM »
I get into trouble sometimes reading the rule book, but it says that you can radius the wheel opening for tire clearance.  If it was me, I would find it out first if a Camaro fits into Coupe and not Modified Sports.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 03:10:44 PM »
won't fit modified sport, it's got "back seats"modified sports are 2 seaters ie. corvette, spitfires, MG's ect. I tried the argument about 6 mos ago with my wifes '91 camaro. althought the rear seats are only good for hauling a 12 pack the definition of the rule says some sort of humanbing :-D can ride back there. And no, you cannot reshape the fender other than clearance for tire fitment. have fun.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 08:41:05 PM »
Tony, interesting question. Yes you can remove the "mirrors" but that rule was structured when a mirror was attached to the door. Now a days that is part of the body as I see it but if you do a bit of searching I know several gen IV cars have run at the salt so you might find a picture of Dave MacDonald's car. He runs altered though.

By the way, with all your high powered contacts you might want to ask if the gen III car might not be a better choice. The tunnel shadow knows........  8-)
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline maguromic

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 08:58:36 PM »
Tony, interesting question. Yes you can remove the "mirrors" but that rule was structured when a mirror was attached to the door. Now a days that is part of the body as I see it but if you do a bit of searching I know several gen IV cars have run at the salt so you might find a picture of Dave MacDonald's car. He runs altered though.

By the way, with all your high powered contacts you might want to ask if the gen III car might not be a better choice. The tunnel shadow knows........  8-)

I looked at a picture of Dave's car and it does look like it was re-contoured, but like you said its a altered.

I tried to talk him into a gen III car, but he had this with a blown motor.  The gen III has better aero and from what you guys did it proves the point. Tony

Offline fastman614

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 01:17:42 AM »
I am pretty sure that you will get awy with removing them and shaving it flat in the mount area.... I think that the intent of the rule is to allow that. .... send a question to Lee Kennedy about it.... with pisc of what it looks like at present and what you propose to do..... question to you tho'.... does GM offer a fender through special parts etc that does NOT have the mirror mount?....
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline dw230

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 11:00:59 AM »
May I suggest that Lee Kennedy does not deal with questions that have to do with class confirmation. Lee is strictly safety. He would just forward the question to the committee chairperson, section 16. Contacting that person directly will shorten the process.

My opinion? I have seen a few later model GM cars that have removed the mirrors and flat plated the are over. The car in question appears to have quite a large part of the body blending into the mirror. To remove this would certainly change the contour of the body. I am at odds on this question.

DW

White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline maguromic

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 11:31:15 AM »
Thanks guys for all the input. After some thought cooler heads have prevailed and he is going with a Gen III Firebird ('90 1/2- '91).  We found one on Craigs List for $200.  I cant believe how cheap this stuff is, the fiberglass roadster body was far more. I gave him a rule book to read and reread.

But the questions is as more late model cars are built, this will be something that will certainly come again. Tony

This is a better picture of the fender  in question (picture from the net).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 11:37:45 AM by maguromic »

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 12:52:54 PM »
Tony, the way that mirror mount is blended into the fender, it would be very little aero penalty. But I am just a motorcycle guy, what do I know. :-D

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 01:10:29 PM »
I agree with Fredvance----- except the motorcycle part of course> :-D
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 02:07:50 PM »
I have seen those run with just the mirror removed not the fender fairing.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline dw230

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 03:52:24 PM »
If you take the fender off is the mirror housing is a part of the fender, not bolted on? If so, may be an issue of changing body configuration.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth