Author Topic: Tip over switch.  (Read 6021 times)

Offline bharmon77

Tip over switch.
« on: May 08, 2011, 03:58:59 PM »
Will the stock Hayabusa tip over switch work in a car at Bonneville or is there a better solution??

BHarmon

Offline RichFox

Re: Tip over switch.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 07:05:43 PM »
Most of the cars use the switch installed in Ford Taurus cars behind the left trunk panel. Shuts off the electric fuel pump if bumped hard. Couple of dollars at Pick a part

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 08:56:31 PM »
Bruce, the stock TOS will work fine and if you try and remove it there is a 100k (better check with an ohm meter 'cause I aint for sure) resistor the ECU needs to see or it will know the TOS is removed and the motor wont run.

-That being said it will work fine IF;

The unit is 100% vibration isolated.....

I would build a 3"X3"x3" box out of metal, put a block of memory foam inside it, cut a slit and install the senor inside it and mount it in a non high vibration area (*note that it has to be mounted upright). Many records were not set and  untold frustration have be because at speed the TOS has vibrated and causes misfires at speed. More often then not the rider and engine techs have no clue what caused the problem. This TOS is effective on an OEM bike, riding on the asphalt but on a ridged chassis (or limited suspension) on a natural surface you can bet the bank its going to cause issues if not mounted better.

It has been the norm to fill the thing with silicone or cut off the ring inside the TOS to disable it.
If you choose to keep it functional, just make sure it wont get vibrated and go way overkill on what you think will be acceptable.
Good luck and look forward to seeing the lakester on the salt.....

BTW:
Tech will not like your current paint job.....I know you mentioned you were going to paint it but it is something to consider if you were going to put it off for a while.

~JH

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline bharmon77

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 06:50:25 AM »
Let me start by saying that the requirment for a tip over switch was pointed out to me during tech at Maxton I cannot find it in the SCTA rule book, what page ?? When the stock wiring harness was modified the tos was removed. I am sure that I can find where the wires go in the ECU but I will have to check with the guy that did the harness to see if a resistor was added some modification to the ECU was done? Is there a simple way  to do this if it is required for SCTA-BN? 

Offline bharmon77

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 06:54:52 AM »
The Ford Tauras/fuel pump idea sounds simple. JH I will add some color to my car before Speedweek, maybe some flames and bright numbers? Don't want to get lost on the salt.

BHarmon

Offline bharmon77

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 07:59:09 AM »
O.K. now I am answering my own questions, don't know if that is healthy or not but I did find the rule that requires you to have an inertial switch to disable the electric fuel pump. I think that the Ford switch wired directly at the fuel pump may be the easyest and may not be as sensative to vibration as the stock Hyabusa t.o.s.?

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 09:50:11 AM »
Bruce
On a Hyabusa or injected Suzuki's in general and Aprilia's which use the same switch
 The switch itself is a U shaped bit of brass with a ring sitting in the U which when inverted, generally makes a contact and turns the fuel pump relay off. I say generally, because unlike a proper switch, there is no spring to put pressure on the contact and it relies entirely on gravity acting on a small brass ring
The tip over switch has a resistor in it
It's sent a signal by the engine management to check and see if the switch is still connected
If the engine management doesn't see the resistor, it turns off the fuel pump relay which also powers the injectors and coils
The thing about them is, they turn the relay off only when the switch is making contact
Or if you roll over, it turns off until you are upright again, then it turns back on
So they can produce an intermittent fault just from vibration, which only shows up as a memorized fault code when you plug in the diagnostic tool
The other thing they do , and this is a Suzuki thing. If it's disconnected, the bike will start and run for just the length of time the fuel pump primes and then stop.
The Hyabusa TOS Has a black wire coming from the engine management to a Black/Yellow group of wires
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline RichFox

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 12:50:13 PM »
The Ford switch drops a steel ball off a magnet if bumped hard enough and trips a switch. Zillions of them running around on Fords. I guess other cars ahve pretty much the same thing.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 05:16:11 PM »
Bruce
The switch rule  is in 3.I.1 for cars and 7.H.8 for bikes
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Leadfoot

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 09:12:20 PM »
Painless Wiring also makes the electric fuel pump cut off switch. Bought mine from Summit Racing 94 dollars if I remember right.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 09:26:41 PM »
Leadfoot;

Mine-- from a Ford Taurus-- cost $5 but it wasn't a new one.  :-P

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 09:32:30 PM »
Leadfoot;

Now that price sounds painless.  :-D Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline RichFox

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 10:28:58 PM »
I bought a new one from Ford and with a discount it was around $15. But the pig tail to plug it in was $17 or so. Not much in there to wear out.

Offline bharmon77

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 06:13:52 AM »
Thanks for the help, see you in August God willing.

BHarmon

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 07:53:35 AM »
Leadfoot;

Now that price sounds painless.  :-D Tony
I got mine at the local wrecking yard. The owner said "Don't worry about it." I said "If I can find one cheaper can I return it and get my money back?"  :-D Free's good, too.  :cheers: Wayno