Author Topic: Lateral helmet supports  (Read 3668 times)

Offline 836dstr

Lateral helmet supports
« on: May 07, 2011, 03:13:03 PM »
OK, thinking outside the box or inside the cage:

Enclosed here is a picture on the current lateral supports inside the shoulder hoop of my roll cage. Per the new rule stating the "support" must extend forward to the front of the helmet means that I need to add 4 inches to the current structure.

I am still concerned with exit and enter with the new "Head & Neck" restraints.

Does the support need to be fixed in place? By this I mean could the support be hinged for upward travel and secured in a down and locked position by using additional "seat belt straps" connected to the crotch strap quick disconect that would be routed over the legs off to the side through a bracket or roller in a vertical plane to the support.

The intent would be to have the supports secured in place in a down or horizontal position when the driver is belted in, but would allow the supports to pivot up as the belts are released.

Dan, J.D., any ideas?

Tom

Offline dw230

Re: Lateral helmet supports
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 01:04:40 AM »
I am not the guy making the decision, 2011 rulebook , page 26, fig. 3 shows that the front bar has to be a minimum of 3" in front of the helmet. Do your cage tubes meet this spec?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 10:14:34 AM »
Can you prop a helmet in there for ref?
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline jdincau

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 04:01:35 PM »
Tom,

Here is what I did to our cage last year. Note that it is tapered at the front to keep the helmet from catching on it when rebounding from an impact. Joe Hansen at DJ suggested this. Tony thinks egress with his DJ head restraint will be no problem.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline jdincau

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 04:02:27 PM »
another view

Offline jdincau

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 04:03:04 PM »
and another

Offline Rcktscientist

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 04:45:27 PM »
Tom,
I see on your present configuration the laterals are moved in close to the helmet. That is what we thought was needed in the old days.  In the unlikely event of a crash ideally you want your head supported (HANS or other device) and not hit anything. We know the belts stretch and you can get bounced around alot and will probably hit the sides, back and even top hoop. The protection in these areas should be of a material the cushions your head and springs back before the next hit. I have ISP laterals in my rail because NHRA requires SEMA Spec., but Rick White (Autopower) can fix you up with fitted laterals. I would recommend all around protection like he has on his Rail. You only have 1 head, so protect it the best you can.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 06:35:34 PM »
Tom,
     I forgot to add that I think getting out of the harness with the added encumbrance of a head restraint will be challenging enough. Adding additional latches/links for a movable lateral restraint will be overly complex.
Jim

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 01:15:37 AM »
Thanks Jim,

I was originally planning on doing something similar to your setup.

After some more thought, having some setup using belts with the proper tension would probably make doing the lap and shoulder harness belts a real hassle.

Back to the drawing board.

Tom