Author Topic: head and neck bailouts  (Read 3245 times)

Offline mkilger

head and neck bailouts
« on: May 03, 2011, 11:13:10 AM »
Is it true that every one will have to do bailouts with there new head and neck  restraints on?? sounds like they should, good idea anyway  
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 11:16:47 AM by mkilger »

Offline johnneilson

Re: head and neck bailouts
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 11:29:13 AM »
Have you ever just driven up to a lake Boat ramp and just watched? True entertainment.

I'll be there with video cam and 12 pack.

BTW, DJ Safety visited our last club meeting. Very informative about the new H&N system.

John
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline mkilger

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 11:49:47 AM »
It should be fun to watch :evil:

Offline geh458

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 03:43:17 PM »
If there is actual fire involved, getting out doesn't have to be pretty.  If you fall on your backside, so be it, just get away from the fire.
Gifford Hawn

Vintage Sports Car Racer looking to convert.......

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 05:41:29 PM »
Is it true that every one will have to do bailouts with there new head and neck  restraints on?? sounds like they should, good idea anyway  

Correct. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline fastman614

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 07:11:16 PM »
And for everyone doing a bailout...... try to remember that it IS NOT something that you pass or fail.When we built the lakester and had it checked the first time, I was the slowest of three of us having to do bailouts.... the two others were the "kids"..... who lind of laughed at me for being slow. I pointed out that, at 250 mph, you will have to bring the car to a stop and it will take a seeming eternity to do it in an emergency.... be methodical about the bailout as if the car is slowing down .... and just do it right!
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 08:52:40 PM »
Correct me if wrong, the rule book only states you have to exit in a timely manner.
The point is that you can actually get out on your own.

If you are on fire, timely will be much faster.

John

Offline DKrause615

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 10:25:41 PM »
I found it difficult (if not impossible) to do a bailout of my car with a Hahns Device on.  A head first bailout requires face down in my car, and the back of the Hahns hooks on the top of the roll bar.  I had to exit feet fist, face up, to eliminate this problem.   With a little practice it was fast, but not pretty.

My advice, practice the entire bail out procedure, several times,  before you get to tech.   I'm not sure if they do it differently with different drivers, but for me, after I'm all strapped in, they say "engine fire"   Now you have to go through a logicial sequence of getting the extinguishers on, shutting the car down, stopping and then getting out.  Best have a good idea on the proper sequence that needs to be done

Hope this helps any rookies!!!

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 10:27:36 AM »
IMO the last 3 have it right. First there has never been a set time or stop watch for anyone I had do a bail out. I would have them first look at me and ask them to touch items wich would turn off the car and stop it while continuing to look at me (this told me whether they had ever sat in the car before).

I would then tell them they were on fire and to get out of the vehicle safely and a quick as they could. Some actually touched firebottles and pulled parachute handles and turned off all switches before starting with their belts. These were the ones that actually listened.

Every driver should practice every year on getting out of their vehicles especially with multiple drivers. I do prior to Bonneville 2 or 3 times. We improve our safety requirements almost yearly each time adding different things and all drivers need to be able to react-in-sequence to exit their vehicle safely.

Eventho our rollbar side padding met specs we elected to go to the triple foam wider padding and getting out of the car with that took more awareness of our surrounding.

Redoing a bail out should never be considered "punishment" by a competitor and every driver should consider it "expected" if asked by an inspector. A complete suit up may not be necessary but every driver needs to feel comfortable in the car they are driving and know they can do all they can to get out of it safely in an incident

PS: just a short rant by a past inspector............................
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline SaltRat

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 03:45:39 PM »
About my first day on the salt we decided to see what tech was all about.

Brand new build roadster w/ a rookie.  I didn't see it coming, neither did he.

Tech: Let's see you in your safety gear.

Tech: Let's see you strapped in.

Tech: OK, looks good - bail out, this is the fire drill.

Rookie: what do you want me to do first?

Tech: We don't care, YOU are on fire.

Funny? maybe.  I sure learned something . . . .
SaltRat
When (if?) this baby hits 88mph, you'll see some serious poo.

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 10:53:52 AM »
All in all, it is a serious matter. Being able to get out of your car seems pretty obvious, but wait until it is overturned.
I had a friend racing with Mazda Motorsports a few years ago in the 25 hr enduro at Thunder Hill. About 2 am, he tangled with a Cobra and both went cartwheeling, no, the Mx5 ran into the back of the Cobra in a high speed sweeper turn. When everything stopped, the Mx5 was laying on the drivers door and it was dark. He had a broken thumb, left hand and was able to climb out the passenger side window.

My point is this, excercising the ability to remove ones carcus from the race car in tech should be easy, uncomfortable if 100° out, but, easier than say on fire or inverted or in the dark. I know that LSR doesn't run at night, bounce around and have vertigo, may as well be dark.

Now, the fact that I could not fit out the window of a Miata inside the trailer, now that was pure entertainment. My Wife reminds me repeatedly.

J

Offline fastman614

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 01:16:28 AM »
A number of well though out posts on here. I hope everyone reads this and gives it serious consideration. AND follows up on recommendations from the people who posted... jimmy six is absolutely bang on in his assessment of this... and I have worked as an inspector with him a time or two as well....
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline RIFLEMAN

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 04:25:38 AM »
 :-D Man I'm glad I ride a bike!
I'll keep my FREEDOM,myGUNS and my MONEY. YOU can keep the CHANGE!