Author Topic: Front exiting headers  (Read 6853 times)

Offline dlra600

• New folks
Front exiting headers
« on: April 25, 2011, 11:07:35 PM »
Hello all,
New member here from Adelaide in South Australia.I have been observing the site for a few years & have always found an answer to my questions by looking at other posts.
I am building a 1984 Trans-Am for our local A/GC class.
Does anyone have any pictures of front exiting headers in cars.They
 would solve all ground clearance issues & be ideal for me.
Whichever way I decide the headers will be made soon & the fabricator looked at me strangely [not the 1st time this has happened to me] when I suggested the front exit deal.
Thanking you all in advance
  Ian

Offline gfisher

• New folks
Re: Front exiting headers
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 11:28:28 PM »
Take a look at this year's Renault F1 cars.  A quick Google search ought to bring up plenty of photos, and plenty of talk about the possible aerodynamic benefits.
Gary
#272 C/GMR

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 12:22:33 AM »
I've seen exhaust system dumped in front of the front wheels on cars in the Altered Class with turbos.
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 12:36:26 AM »
Hey Ian
have you checked out the way Big Gaz has sorted the exhaust on his XJS?

Take a look at this year's Renault F1 cars.  A quick Google search ought to bring up plenty of photos, and plenty of talk about the possible aerodynamic benefits.
Gary

Aero on F1 is a long way from what you need in LSR. Hot exhaust leaving behind a car is a good thing , haven't heard anyone with a strong argumen as to why it would be good at the front..... :?

build a bigger tunnel.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline oldracer19

• Plan B Racing
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 01:21:30 AM »
After observing at least 1 record holding car with a really well done setup, I have decided to try it on my car as well. My reasons are similar, ground clearance, as well as getting header away from starter.

The car I saw, used 3" stainless turned forward, then a 180 into a flared out nozzle formed to the fender opening.
"because plan A never works"

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 01:40:45 AM »
I sure would not point them straight out----I know of a D/CBFA that that picked up 6 MPH and a hat --- mostly by turning the exhaust straight back as opposed to st out
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline RichFox

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 01:43:17 AM »
Gary Williams had a 454 in a Monza running in Gas Coup with headers that came up and forward then down in front of the engine with collector just foward of the front tires. Look nice. Don't know what would be bad about it and it allowed nicer bends.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 01:48:24 AM »
The Renault F1 cars are doing it to get around the rules that banned by creating an opening and blowing though the diffuser to energize the air at the end of last year.  The new set up blows at the front of the side pod to help the air passing into the tunnels get energized. Keep in mind that if you are blowing through a whole to your diffuser or tunnels and you get into a spin situation and need to lift, you will loose what ever down force that was created and be in for the ride.  It needs to be a complete package to be able to optimize the exhaust for aero. Just my two cents.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Morpheus

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 07:23:19 PM »
 :-D dlra 600.... check out the UK.... pistonheads.com  for examples of front exiting headers used on TVR's. Most of the blokes will share pics and other valuable info concerning them.

Cheers morph

Offline hotschue

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 07:24:19 PM »
Ian.....couple of pics from my Buick (2003) with a D motor.

Udo
Udo Horn
221.559 D/CGC '03
182.144 G/GMS 2019

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 01:52:35 AM »
Very nice exhaust setup!!   :cheers: Dave
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline dlra600

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 06:47:08 AM »
Thank you all.
Hotshue,I'm with Dave,thats a sweet deal.
Sparky & Oldracer I'm not sure I can picture what you're saying.I am thinking of finishing the collector in front of the front wheel[thru the airdam].Would you continue the collector out past the airdam to point rearwards as the exhaust cannot be directed at the tyre?
Doctor,I thought this would be enough of an ass backwards idea to really appeal to you!
Thanks again Ian.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 08:53:13 AM »
Having the exhaust point out 90 dgs to direction of travel is about like sticking a 4'-6' 4x4 post out the side of your car.  point them back- parallel to the direction of travel
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 10:19:44 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 10:10:25 AM »
Having the exhaust point out 90 dgs to direction of travel is about like sticking a 4'-6' 4x4 post out the side of your car.  point them back- paralle to the direction of travel

Just run down the road at 80, stick your arm straight out the window and hold it there, now remember drag increases exponentially with speed, your exhaust plume is a solid to the air, creating drag.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

McRat

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 10:36:39 AM »
<--  Certainly no expert.  That being said...

Our truck on the dyno can knock over a 100lb exhaust hose stand and throw a heavy duty flex tube around like a toy.  We have to close the door on the hose to keep it from hurting anyone.

There is a serious amount of thrust happening at full scream steam.  I'd think harnessing this thrust would be "free" horsepower, which is my favorite brand.

Also, if you grenade an engine (expert in that field), you can puke a serious amount of oil from the exhaust.  Getting the exhaust and PVC vents aft is probably good for safety and undercarriage  cleanup.