Author Topic: Maxton May Meet whos going?  (Read 10951 times)

Offline ronnieroadster

Maxton May Meet whos going?
« on: April 25, 2011, 08:50:11 PM »
Hi Gang
 The lakester is ready once again so were going to try and run at the May meet I'm hoping to add another step to my license. We ran her on a rear wheel dyno now I have a base line for the air fuel ratio which is 12.83 I think its a bit lean so IM going to fatten up the main jets a bit. Anyone have any thoughts on that?
   The old 1950 Ford flathead ran pretty good for her age pulling well over double the stock HP at the rear wheels. Here's a Youtube link to the run.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB8AfxQZR1U
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
Re: Maxton May Meet whos going?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 09:37:28 PM »
Great video. The bellytank must be a blast to drive. I have a lot of respect for guys that run the flat head motors. I would like to stop by in May and check it out up close.

We go back to the dyno the first week of May can,t wait.

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline redcatch

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 09:51:39 PM »
Me if the new window net gets here
Bob Cox
Redcatcher Motorsports

ECTA Record Holder
B/GALT

redcatch32@aol.com

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports/KWS/Brock's/DCW/Vortex/WWB
    • TLN Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 06:50:35 AM »
We are entered and the bikes are about ready.  I have some roadracing to get through first though.
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6rr (Worlds Fastest standing mile and 1.5 mile)
2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R (4 200 MPH Clubs)
2008 Kawasaki EX-250R (Multiple ECTA and LTA records)
131 Land Speed Records set since 2008
125 Land Speed Racing records (including 3 Worlds Fastest Speeds) set since 2008.

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 11:49:56 AM »
No substitute motor for the Studebaker yet (while the "E" is being rebuilt).

May take the Vicky motor out when I get back from the cruise, but that leaves no time to fiddle around,,, have a line on a substitute long block 302 SBC, if that works out I may bolt on my old intake, dist, and carb and run that "D" motor.. only problem is I run 18 degree heads with the Stahl/Brodix  Header flanges  so my headers will not mate to regular SBC 6 header bolt heads.. Trying to locate an adaper flange now ???

The THRASH will be a Mad One...

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 12:08:43 PM »
Charles, I know it's darn near impossible to do -- but think about going to Maxton without a ride.  You'll have a much more relaxed time, have time to chat with the folks that are there, maybe help with some of the volunteer chores, and who knows what else.  If you thrash hard to get something to race -- great.  If you don't - you'll enjoy yourself just about as much.

It was hard to learn this, I assure you -- but finally I can go to a meet and not suffer too much from "I wish I had a race vehicle" here syndrome.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 12:23:52 PM »
We will be there but I'm not sure the car will be ready to run competitively. Daytime job and having to work on the car in the driveway (read weather controls build time) is cutting it close. with any luck Amy can atleast get some shake down runs in. She is helping on the car as much as she can. :cheers: If nothing else we can get it to tech and see what, if anything, we missed :-o see ya there.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 03:22:06 PM »
SSS  I truly do appreciate your comments and I understand that for most folks that would be true... But for me it would be hard to go to the track without a car, unless I did everything within my budget and physical capabilities to be there with the car, by working up to the 11th. hour.  After knowing I did all I could and the was not ready, Then and only then could I go to the track without my ride.

Maybe you are right and maybe I should follow your advice.... but I know me and I will thrash to the bitter end to show up with the car,,, but either way I will be there in some capacity.

I help a lot of folks,, so when I get back from the cruise I may be calling in a few chips to get help a few eveings May 9,10,11 and 12..

Charles
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 04:28:33 PM »
Charles,

I wish Matt and I lived closer by because we are both up for the thrash...Matt's one of those guys that works a 9 hour day, then works in the shop until 3 am. You have our moral support. I know that and a ham sandwich equals nothing but we believe in you.

You will have something to drive May 14Th I am sure. Put that "D" motor in I will run on "C" or "A." I remember when I managed some Motorsports programs for Toyota...the motor truck would show up with racks of motors and drive line parts. It was s sight to see. It would be nice to have a couple of identical motors to be ready for these issues but hey anybody can swap a motor. It takes real dedication to stay up for days and show up to tech line with the silicone sealer still tacky! Have fun, rest up then thrash!

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 04:31:56 PM »
 Charles if you can't get the motor in the Stude done .Then why not run the vickey?
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline wrongway

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 08:03:45 PM »
I have a new fuel system and injectors .... looks like i can turn the nitrous up some more :-)

or maybe run nitromethane .....

Roy

Offline sabat

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 08:50:05 PM »
To the OP - 12.8 is close to best power for modern bikes, not sure about flatheads. But 12.8 on the dyno isn't necessarily 12.8 on the track, do you have a AFR logger?

Roy I would LOVE to smell some nitro at Maxton, please please please  :cheers:  Don't tip the can too much, kitty litter shuffle and such.

I plan to trek to Texas for their first May meet, and will therefore miss Maxton. I'll be following closely online and the phone, best of luck to all.

Dean

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 10:06:22 PM »
 The Air fuel reading was on the dyno so I agree there would be some variation. In April after two runs the plugs looked fine but I don't have an AFR logger on the car. When I opened up the engine after the April meet everything looked good so IM still not sure if I need to go any fatter. The flathead can only live with a small amount of spark lead max about 24 degrees total other than that I think the air fuel ratio should be similar to any other gas burning engine. 
   Hey Charlie bring the sedan if the E motor is not ready its a cool Hot Rod
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 10:45:03 PM »
Charles if you can't get the motor in the Stude done .Then why not run the vickey?

Eric,,, points...they stay with the car not the driver... plus the Vicky is now set up for 1/8 and 1/4 mile...

I need to run the Studebaker,,, this year I have a chance to make all 5 Maxton events, and would like to do it.

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 10:51:35 PM »
Just got in from the shop about 10 mins ago... missed the Tuesday Chat but for a good reason,,, was unloading the
302 SBC  long block I wheeled and dealed for,,, It is a 23 degree  Iron Head, solid lift cam motor,,, not the fancy stuff I am use to..

Needs a good intake, carb, water pump, distributor, plugs and wires, alternator and front drive assembly,,, good news I have all of that.  Just ordered the adapter flanges to adapt those heads to my headers..

Looks like I shall make it to Maxton with a decent D motor...nothing radical... once I hear and feel it run we will all speculate on MPH ... this will be fun....  stress level decreasing now that long block is in my possession.

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT