Author Topic: Steel wheel issue and questions.  (Read 12871 times)

Offline javajoe79

Steel wheel issue and questions.
« on: April 25, 2011, 07:34:08 PM »
  So we were running some wheels made by a popular custom steel wheel builder. We had major wheel stud failure that didn't make much sense until we talked to the wheel builder. They said that unless we had a 7" or better hub face, that the studs would break just like they did for us.

So for starters has anyone heard of that happening?   Next question is, who can I get a set of solid center land speed wheels from in a hurry. We are trying to make the May event and don't have time to wait 6 weeks like they told us.

Seems like the fact that these wheels need a 7" hub to back them up should be well noted in the details from the builder. Anyone have any insight on that?
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
Re: Steel wheel issue and questions.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 08:01:24 PM »
Call  Bob Sage at   TheWheelSmith... he can make them and ship in the same week.

He is now in Corona CA.   1-800-854-8937

Tell him they are for  Land Speed Racing  360 degree welded,,, he can also weld your moon disc dzus tabs if you use them.

Tell him Charles Venable in NC  sent you..

Oh by the way if you are using 15" wheels  you can use my Moon Disc Dzus Template,,, it is there in his shop,,, all you have to do is call Chico at Moon Eyes and order the Dzus Tab Kit and have them drop shipped to The Wheel Smith...

good luck
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 08:04:26 PM by Cajun Kid »
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 09:17:54 PM »
Thanks Charles, we are on the phone with them right now.  Hopefully we will see you in May at Maxton.
615-210-1605

Offline Bootleggerjim

• Raced Front Motor Cars on Nitro many years
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 07:13:09 AM »
Please explain 7in hub face...thanks...............
I'm an addict with a 2 tire a day habit..........

Offline jww36

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 09:03:23 AM »
The other issue I might mention. I purchased steel wheels from Wheelsmith's and told them they were for LSR. They were welded 360 degrees as needed, but the taper for the lugnuts on the wheels was 60 degrees. Most nuts with 1" hex are 90 degrees, so you may have to change that taper.
John

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 11:12:40 AM »
The other issue I might mention. I purchased steel wheels from Wheelsmith's and told them they were for LSR. They were welded 360 degrees as needed, but the taper for the lugnuts on the wheels was 60 degrees. Most nuts with 1" hex are 90 degrees, so you may have to change that taper.
John

We spoke with wheelsmith last night and they mentioned the lug seat angle and that it could be whatever we needed it to be.

What type of wheel did you guys get from wheelsmith? The smoothie or the solid plate center?

The diameter of the hub or in our case the brake rotor hat, where the back of the wheel mates up, according to them is supposed to be 7.5" minimum. When we ordered these wheels, we made it clear what we were doing with them, land speed racing. Not once did they mention that their wheels require a 7.5" hub. Nowhere on their website mentions it either. When we contacted him after the incident and described what happened, he said he knew right away what was wrong and that he has had plenty of people have the same issue.

Now don't you think if this was a known issue, it is something that they as the wheel builder should make known to their customers?

His defense was that they make stock car wheels and stock cars all use a big hub like that and he sold us stock car wheels.

Our defense is that we told him what we were doing, never said we were running stock car hubs but he sold us wheels that have certain requirements as far as hub size goes and never said a word about it even though he knew it could be a problem and has had alot of customers have the same issue.
615-210-1605

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 11:34:47 AM »
That vendor apparently can't spell kustoomer searvice. :?
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Bootleggerjim

• Raced Front Motor Cars on Nitro many years
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 12:16:35 PM »
What JWW 36 said
I'm an addict with a 2 tire a day habit..........

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 02:37:49 PM »
Well we spoke with Bassett Wheels today too. They were very helpful and they knew who we were talking about before we even told them who it was.
  They also gave us info about using a backing plate and where to get them.
615-210-1605

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 06:22:58 PM »
Javajoe;

I've been very happy with Bassett Wheels. Before I ordered my rear wheels from them, I talked to them on the phone and asked about rear brake caliper clearance; he said "What calipers are you using?" I said 4-piston Porsche/Brembo radial-mount calipers (not exactly a garden-variety application!) and he said "No problem-- they'll clear OK." Just like that-- no "I'll have to look that up" or "I dunno". I wasn't real sure that his answer was correct but I placed an order anyway. Bottom line-- Bassett does know what they're talking about. The calipers cleared just fine.  :-)

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Kix

• 1997 GMC Saltnoma
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 09:45:01 PM »
Beware who you buy your wheels from - we called a supposed "reputable" manufacturer who says he makes land speed racing wheels.  We told him what we were running, where we were running, etc., etc., and he sold us a set of wheels...... unfortunately, he left out the fact that his wheels are only safe on hub diameters greater than 7".......  and then laughed at me when I called and told him the wheel came loose and busted off all five lugs when we were launching on a 200+mph pass...  he said "hahaha - well I guess you are getting a lesson from the school of hard knocks.  Too bad it cost you so much!"  He didn't even offer us a discount on replacement wheels......

I don't know about you, but where I'm from a man could get his @$$ kicked for saying something like that......

On a better note - some more info about Bassett from my conversation with them today: 

• great guys to work with - very helpful - extremely knowledgable!
  • they are very interested in making wheels for the land speed crowd!
  • they make everything in house and use real spinnings for their centers, not center stampings they have bought for the lowest price (call and ask them what their runout specs are and then ask other wheel builders what runout specs they gurantee)
  • their custom wheels are about the same price as others "off the shelf" wheels!

I like honest people who know what they are talking about and ensure they are getting their customers the right products!

[/list]
MODIFIED MID-PICKUP #4442

Bonneville Record:     219.35 mph
Maxton Mile Record:   193.14 mph
Ohio Mile Record:       192.80 mph

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 10:10:31 PM »
I went to the shop and measured my wheels---Taylor's 7" machiened surface-- Marsh --had a ring at 6 7/8" that had loss the paint---

I agree could have been ugly with that kind off a SA remark!!!!  ASK some guy in CA that splines used axles!!!!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 01:11:40 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Vinsky

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 11:45:52 PM »
Is Taylors still in business? All the buildings around them have been demolished and the property sold.
John

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 01:13:02 AM »
They were suppose to relocate and bring one of their kids in the bus.  I will call Chuck and find out.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jww36

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 11:21:24 AM »
I'm a newbie, but I found this post very interesting. I'm in the process of building a 1934 gas roadster and purchased Wheelsmith wheels about a year ago. I'm using Performance Friction rotors and hats.  After reading this blog, I measured the face of the hats @ 6.5", and the "flat ring" on the inside of the wheel with an ID of about the same.

QUESTION - The guys who have responded to this post that have had stud problems,  Are you using the lug nuts to LOCATE the wheel on the hub? I.E., if you have a centering ring that LOCATES the wheel on the hub, and you are just using the lug nuts to keep the wheel tight. Might this eleviate this stud problem?

Another question - Can spacers be machined that go behind the wheel into the gap behind the lugnut so the wheels, so that when lugnuts are  tightened, they are being tightened against these spacers instead of an air gap?
John