Author Topic: Trailer aero  (Read 3388 times)

Offline sabat

Trailer aero
« on: April 22, 2011, 11:31:43 AM »
I just picked up a 2003 Wells Cargo 6x10 trailer to haul my bike and gear. It has a flat front. It pulls nicely, torsion axle, only weighs 1000lbs. I'm pulling it with a older Tundra pickup with no bed cap. The trailer height is about 90".

I noticed a lot of cheap trailers on the market with V-nose fronts. Also Wells Cargo sells a version of the 6x10 with a fiberglass nose cone that looks like the rounded front of a streamliner. These nosecones are available as an add-on. Neat before / after video here;

http://www.nosecone.com/aepull.htm

Some forum posts claim 1 mpg savings. Costs about $500, which buys a lot of gas. Maybe 20,000 miles of towing to break even.

I've also read about vortex generators placed on the rear of trailers to reduce drag. About $150 to cover the rear edges. This could pay off sooner, if it works. I can't find any info on drag reduction.

http://www.buyairtab.com/shop/individual-airtabs/

So what do folks think? Could I expect to see a measurable drag reduction from the nosecone or 'airtabs' ? Or should I just pump up the tires and slow down. Lately I've been towing around 10K miles a year.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Trailer aero
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 11:57:25 AM »
"Nose cone" is good, if you ask me.  It's pretty hard to quantify the gains, though.  I always had them factory-installed on the straight trucks we ran at my medical waste business, so don't have a way to compare with and without results.  I'd strongly suggest that you get it.  And - if nothing else it'll be a point of bargaining when you try to sell the trailer later on.  Not much to lose and perhaps lots to gain.

A V-nose front end on a trailer?  Our present 26' rig has one and I'm satisfied with it.  Again - if there's a fuel economy advantage I don't know for sure, but the trailer tows well in all weather, and the sculpted nose makes visibility when backing a bunch better, too.  No big need, though, especially for a small trailer.

Vortex generators?  Ask the Nish Family about 'em.  They use them on their support van and trailer and I think even on their streamliner.  If you're going to buy them - think about visiting the Nish website and buying there (if the price is right for you) to support other land speed racers.  I have no information about how they work, never having tried them in any way.  Let us all know if you find a benefit, hey?

Congratulations on the new trailer.  There's one bad thing, though -- you'll sooner or later discover that it's not as big as you need and will then be in the market for a bigger one.  Don't ask me how I know -- but we are on the fifth one for the Seldom Seen Slim team stable of race bikes.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 12:10:23 PM »
I would try the vortex generators first--- Katz says many small vortices have less drag that a big one.

A cab height topper and deflector on top of it to keep the air off the trailer nose at all will help some.

as a truck peddler unless the nose cone comes almost to the frt of the truck cab they dont help much

In the imortal words of PP  " It dosent much matter how you open the hole it is ALL about how you close it."
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline sabat

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 03:22:46 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions folks, I'll keep playing with the idea. What I need first is a trip without any aero stuff, as a baseline. That will be in May when I go to Texas, 2000 miles roundtrip.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 09:15:23 PM »
I'm with Sparky, Katz and Herr Fleischpastete [Pork Pie] - go with the Air Tabs! They do make vortices!  :-o
I think Nish sells them, too! They put them on the back of the liner and it calmed their chute deployment!
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz