Author Topic: Firewall sealer.  (Read 4526 times)

Offline bharmon77

Firewall sealer.
« on: April 21, 2011, 02:42:22 PM »
I need to fill some small spaces between my frame tubes and firewall I know that past practice has been to use a fire resistant calk. Is there a specific brand that the SCTA inspectors want or can I use the stuff at my local Ace Hardware? Ace has a material called Flame Stopper 5000 Intumescent Sealant, it expands when exposed to extreme heat and it conforms and is tested to ASTM E-814 and ASTM E-119 if that means anything to anyone? Just reading the MSDS sheet it sounds like what I need but will this brand be accepted by the inspectors?  Is there a better recommendation?

BHarmon

Offline NathanStewart

Re: Firewall sealer.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 02:22:20 AM »
Try contacting MAZDA1807 (Peter Shotrosky) about the stuff he has available.  He's a commercial/industrial fire systems installer by trade and has some great stuff.  He can also tell you about another source of putty that a lot of people use that actually burns... vigorously.  Don't use that stuff.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline akk

• owner of #920/928 Contrivance Special
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 08:25:16 AM »
We use 3M Fire Barrier ...purchased from Air Craft Spruce & Specialty Co. 877-477-7823 part # 05-00950  page 127 of 2009-2010 catalog..we have never had a problem at inspection.....believe me it is good....an acetylene torch will not melt or cut it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the catalog has other aircraft firewall stuff...

Akk
holder of AA/GMR A/GMR B/GMR C/GMR D/GMR E/GMR records

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 12:19:40 PM »
Hilti FS-1 Fire caulk;

Can be purchase at mechanical wholesalers, and the tech that was working with me last year, worked for Home depot said you can purchase it there.  It has a fire rating higher than a 10 gauge steel panel, and is used by the nuclear industry for fire wall penetrations.  Get the MSDS with it and keep it with your log book.

Steve
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 01:51:22 PM »
What ever you get test it. Take a couple pieces of scrap metal and seal them up. Then in a couple days put a torch on it and see for yourself how good it works. The only way you can be sure.
Doug Odom in big ditch
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.