Author Topic: New Helmet Research (Army)  (Read 2337 times)

Offline Saltfever

New Helmet Research (Army)
« on: April 20, 2011, 08:40:08 PM »
Different environments require different solutions. When a military vehicle is hit by an IED, the results are chaotic for occupants inside. Research may be interesting for LSR venues.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/health&id=8080536

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: New Helmet Research (Army)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 09:15:49 PM »
My impression after viewing that video is that those "researchers" have discovered the obvious.

Regards, Neil
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline dw230

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 09:45:31 PM »
As I mentioned in the other place, send it to SFI. We pay them for the research.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 03:25:34 PM »
I agree the research may seem intuitive. It was interesting they identified velocity as important (obvious again) and that got me to thinking about different racing venues and how the standards may differ. By definition LSR has the highest velocity of any motor sport so, at Dan’s suggestion, I browsed the SFI site which identified a subtly that may be interesting.

I will bring it up in a new posting with a more germane title providing better thread continuity.

DocBeech

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 12:24:53 AM »
Well an over looked problem that doesn't become a problem until you are laying on my table is sometimes the treatment of helmets. If you so much as drop a helmet from your hand to the ground, you need a new one. I have personally seen guys get seriously hurt because of mistreatment of helmets. They need to be babied, and never allowed any kind of abuse or wear.

Plan B

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 10:49:19 AM »
The research is available and has been for decades. It's very basic and not technically complicated. As previously stated, "they've discovered the obvious".

What the current crop of #*&$@#*&$s in Washington and Virginia choose to do with this information is a another subject.

As a combat veteran whose life (literally) was saved (literally) by his helmet, I discovered this organization and I offer you this;

http://www.operation-helmet.org/history.html

I suppose there are much more important things to spend the lousy fifty-five bucks on ...................

Subject-related but off-topic rant complete ...... sorry ....... back to your original programming.

DS

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 11:33:28 AM »
Since the Massa incident catching the 3rd spring, the FIA has upgraded the helmet specs.

I don't remember all the specs except the shell will be of equivilent strength of 6mm CF. This will add considerable weight and require a FRN device (Hans device). I seem to recall also that the padding is to be thicker.

I am not sure if this is for open cockpit racing or not, but we will be seeing this in the next few years.

John
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.