Author Topic: engine family  (Read 25439 times)

Offline Steve Walters

Re: engine family
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2011, 02:02:37 AM »
A 460 Windsor?  :?  460 is from the Cleveland Family, and I believe the last year they put a cleveland engine in the mustangs was 1973.  You should be able to get the 460 into 2005, a lot of after market parts for this application.  The 460 ford web site can be a lot of help for your build.

Steve 
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

a/bgc

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2011, 02:49:10 AM »
Ive just been talking and reading lot about Windsor and modular motors...that Ive got my names mixed up.....sorry guys.....the Cleveland is part of the..ford 335 engine family....                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ford_335_engine
The 460 is part of the....385 family...
http://Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ford_385_engine........Ive been talking with people on....the mustang pit stop...forum....and a couple other site....they have all been a lot of help...

Offline Kato Engineering

« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2011, 03:03:51 AM »
a 460 inch Winsor IS possible... but it aint popular.

you will have to forget all about the chevy / GM based thoughts pertaining to small block and big block.

The 'Ford" offers four different deck heights from factory based blocks, which allowed strokes to fit into the "E" class under 260 inches up to the 430 inch range and since the basic rule is pertaining to having the same head bolt pattern and  intake manifold bolt pattern, all of the various types and styles of straight-inline valve or canted valve heads will all  interchange.

this rule was checked and tested time and  time again twenty-five  years ago by me and mikey cook in my T-Bird or his PANTERA, which held about 12 various records over the years...

The  reknown "Cleveland" block is not the same as a 429/460 (big)block design..... the head bolt pattern and bore spacing is a bunch different.
an original cleveland block offers no actual advantage to gain inches since the cylinders are actually thin in comparison to anything offered today in the aftermarket..a common STOCK -351 Winsor block can easily go to 410 inches due to bore capability and stoke / 9.500"deck acceptance, which the cleveland (9.200"deck)never could easily fit.
....allthough there is a "400" block ( aka truck block)which can go to 4.125 stroke due to the taller 10.300" deck height.
BTW, I would like to know how he made the engine spoken of, up to his proclaimed 460 inches

the 1995 era mustang body was available mid season with either the pushrod 302 or later the OHC head "modular" type....
.........these are two totally different design engines..

YUP,
I am the same KID
that you may have remembered from WAY BACK THEN.....

a/bgc

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2011, 07:55:06 PM »
Is bonneville about 4000ft above sea level....

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2011, 09:25:41 PM »
A little more -- 4236 in town, 4261 at the airport.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

a/bgc

« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2011, 08:42:44 PM »
With utah having a higher elevation than here in california...should that come into play when choosing parts...or is it build and tune for that elevation...

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2011, 09:55:55 PM »
With utah having a higher elevation than here in california...should that come into play when choosing parts...or is it build and tune for that elevation...

Parts is parts... they don't care where they are.... getting the motor to perform at WOT for an extended period at that altitude is the tough part of the salt, that and the gremlins...  :|  Oh and you have to do that better than anyone else in the world ever has if you want a record...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2011, 10:04:48 PM »

Build it like you are racing in Denver.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

a/bgc

« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2011, 04:04:52 AM »
Another newbie question..carburetors that protrude through the cars hood shall be covered with a flash shield...a device to encompass the air inlet of a carburetors sides top and rear...i would quess that a top hat of a procharger would work as a flash shield...or would that be something different...and cutting of the stock hood to make room for the shield would still be legal..?....

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2011, 08:28:35 AM »
Have you attended an event and looked at the vehicles similar in class to see what the vehicle rules compliance should look like?  It is recommended, and while it may slow you down a little on your quest, it will save you a lot of time and money in the long run.  Post on the introduction  thread, tell us a little about yourself, what you want to do.  It seems you are in the planning stage, getting your ducks in a row.  Take the rule book with you to the salt, be there on inspection days to watch.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
Listen to the advice Stainless gave you, it will allow you to see the different cars, meet some teams and get an overview of how an event is run.

Younger folks might not know or remember about the early years of racing. If you look at the picture I posted you'll See that this car is running Stromberg 97's, and has a piece of sheet metal over them. That is a "flash Shield".
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

a/bgc

« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2011, 08:31:03 PM »
Have you attended an event and looked at the vehicles similar in class to see what the vehicle rules compliance should look like?  It is recommended, and while it may slow you down a little on your quest, it will save you a lot of time and money in the long run.  Post on the introduction  thread, tell us a little about yourself, what you want to do.  It seems you are in the planning stage, getting your ducks in a row.  Take the rule book with you to the salt, be there on inspection days to watch.

I havent attended that kind of event...im trying to gather as much info as i can from others and spending a lot of time on the web...gathering things up that pertain to the class i wish to compete in....so far ive been going on the advice ive received here on the landspeed forum..and other mustang forums...trying to get as prepared as a i can with the rules...so that i know what to look for when i visit bonneville this year...i'll have a pen...paper..camera...video camera....ready for the inspection...i live in los angeles and el mirage is next weekend... i'll be there ready to take some notes and getting familiar with landspeed racing....and i'll take your advise on starting an intro page...i shouldve done that from the start.....thanks again......

a/bgc

« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2011, 08:36:21 PM »
Listen to the advice Stainless gave you, it will allow you to see the different cars, meet some teams and get an overview of how an event is run.

Younger folks might not know or remember about the early years of racing. If you look at the picture I posted you'll See that this car is running Stromberg 97's, and has a piece of sheet metal over them. That is a "flash Shield".

I will take his advise...i know that el mirage starts next weekend and i'll be there ready to start talking and taking notes from other teams and racers...thanks for the picture with the sheild...i tried to find a picture of it yesterday on the web for sometime...even looked on the nhra forums...but couldnt find one...

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2011, 01:28:22 AM »
A lot of us on this forum will be at El Mirage May 13, 14, 15th, and  like you said, you will be there, be sure to be there on Friday, inspection starts at Noon, many of us racers will be glad to help you with any questions you have while your at that race, good luck, and welcome to Land Speed racing,  Dave  :cheers:
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

a/bgc

« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2011, 02:23:29 AM »
A lot of us on this forum will be at El Mirage May 13, 14, 15th, and  like you said, you will be there, be sure to be there on Friday, inspection starts at Noon, many of us racers will be glad to help you with any questions you have while your at that race, good luck, and welcome to Land Speed racing,  Dave  :cheers:

Thanks....i live in north hollywood...so i'll be attending all el mirage events....i'll make sure im there for inspection....is friday an all day inspection...