Author Topic: engine family  (Read 25471 times)

a/bgc

Re: engine family
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2011, 06:36:45 PM »
The 5.0 used up till 95 in the mustangs was part of the push rod windsor family..not the modular...

For this topic the above quote is correct. The "Windsor" family is not the same as the "Modular" The Windsor engines started at 221 cu in & stopped at 351 cu in. Of course the SCTA allows you to do anything internally to the engine so 400+ cu in is very easy.
The Modular engine comes in many different configurations and displacements. Meaning a 2 valve, 3 valve, & 4 valve configuration along with the different sizes.

Would i be able to run the new boss 302 mod in a 05 mustang that came with a 4.6 in the a/bgc class with a procharger..
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 07:38:08 PM by a/bgc »

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2011, 07:42:12 PM »
Yes, as far as I know the "Coyote" is just a variant of the mod motor.
Although as a 302" engine you'd run in D/BGC with a record of ~270 mph.......
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

a/bgc

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2011, 07:58:24 PM »
Sweet...after hearing..reading...and talking about engines swaps....i found out it can real expensive....thanks a lot....

a/bgc

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2011, 08:06:20 PM »
Yes, as far as I know the "Coyote" is just a variant of the mod motor.
Although as a 302" engine you'd run in D/BGC with a record of ~270 mph.......

If the engine were to get bored..would that change the engine class...i would think so...correct...

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2011, 08:27:53 PM »
A 302" is a "D" motor. The max size for D is 305.99". If you go larger it becomes C. The engine sizes are on page 15 of the '10 rule book. Don't have my '11 book yet. :cry:

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2011, 08:28:15 PM »
Sorry to burst your bubble.  :-)

The next engine class break is 306" to  372" so yes if you bore the 302 out to 306 or larger your in the next class.

The record there is only 295 mph, if you stay blown.  :-o

If it were easy everyone would do it huh?   :cheers:

You do have a rule book don't you?
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2011, 08:37:43 PM »
The new Coyote is just a mod motor derivative. They can all be treated as the same. You could run Production (stock) class if you want. The fact that you are putting on a non-stock blower (Procharger) turns all of those motor into a gas class.

a/bgc

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2011, 09:09:42 PM »
Sorry to burst your bubble.  :-)

The next engine class break is 306" to  372" so yes if you bore the 302 out to 306 or larger your in the next class.

The record there is only 295 mph, if you stay blown.  :-o

If it were easy everyone would do it huh?   :cheers:

You do have a rule book don't you?

Only 295...a walk in the park...... :-o.....i do have one...i just need another to keep in my toolbox at work...

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2011, 12:02:37 AM »
I have many of the more common engines grouped by bore pitch to make the relationships easier to understand.

http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/m-table-c.htm

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2011, 12:33:16 AM »
Wow! Mr. Panic . . . nice job and many thanx.   :-)

a/bgc

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2011, 04:47:23 AM »
I found a guy that's running a 460 "Windsor family" engine in an 05 mustang...hes been telling me that the 4.6l mod motor is almost identical in width and height.hes going to e-mail more info with pictures..which should make the swap just a tad simple...he has his entire build on different web page...its a 1/4 mile built drag car...my question is...do i need to run the factory installed wiring harness...couldn't find anything related to that in the rule book...but i would assume that you dont...and also..is it mandatory for all the factory lights to be in working condition...

Offline fastman614

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2011, 06:48:24 AM »
In an earlier post, I stated that the cars were the same until (what) 2005.... I subsequently learned that in 1999, Ford re-skinned the car.... the basic chassis is supposedly virtually identical to the '94 to'98 cars and by virtue of that, the installation of a windsor engine should be able to be done with "factory" mount parts etc.....

Your question about the factor wiring harness now.... is that in regards to class legality or expediency? I have never to my recollection seen anything in the rules that states the original wiring haness must be used....but then, I have never dun production or gas coupe either.... it appears to me that how you get the mandatory equpment on the vehicle into operating condition is not the question .... the rules are that it must be operable and do not state by what wires or wiring harness(es) the electricity must flow....

My personal philosophy in matters like this is taken from racing legend Smokey Yunick who stated that, if the rules don't say you can't, then it's LEGAL!
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline dw230

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2011, 11:20:26 AM »
In Gas Coupe class all lights, for the body model used, must be in place. No painted lights, no decals. They do not need to work.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

a/bgc

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2011, 06:47:00 PM »
Amen....to smokeys statment.... :-D....thanks dw...and fastman....on the lights and the factory harness...i had posted some of the changes that ford made to their mustangs on the second page....so going with fastmans...new info....and my other source..and everyone one thats has helped me so..far.....i'll be going through and building a 460.....for my..05 mustang...that i just bought...

Offline fastman614

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »
a 460.... blown?...... with Boss heads????? I always liked the looks of those engines....

I was damned close to having one of those engines that HAD heavily damaged internals... but it looked okay externally..... I wanted it for a display piece.... and when I said that to the guy, I guess it got him thinking..... by the time I got back with the cash, HE was KEEPING it .... for the same reason.... and, as far as I know, he still has it.
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.