Author Topic: Rider's Leathers  (Read 7434 times)

Offline Racerwrtr

• New folks
    • The Velocity Workshop
Rider's Leathers
« on: April 19, 2011, 04:33:04 PM »
I want to make sure whatever I buy passes tech inspection-- anybody have a recommendation for something affordable and yet legal? What company's suits have been a problem in the past? Any advice?

Kevin in Minnesota
Turning Motion Into Progress

Offline Uncle Jimbo

Re: Rider's Leathers
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 05:04:12 PM »
Hey Keven - You may want to try  www.Topgearleather.com  for a wide selection of mcy racing leathers. Plenty of different brand names and prices of over the counter suits. Custom made stuff plan on higher $$$ then what you'll see at the web site.  I wear an Alpinestars for 5 yrs now with no problem - well - every winter it seems to shrink up around the midsection a bit, but then I find if I get back on the summer diet, it fits fine again.    Hope that helps you out - :-D

Jimbo

2. L. (IV) LEATHERS
Suits made of synthetic material are not permissible.  The
use of stretchable Kevlar and perforated materials in noncritical areas are permissible. Leather suits shall be onepiece design or joined by a full circumference zipper at the waist. Leathers cannot be too big or loose. Critical area
(knees, elbows, forearms, shoulders) armor or 2-layers of leather is highly recommended.  Due to invisible flames,
riders‟ of motorcycles burning fuels of Methanol content are recommended to wear Nomex underclothing or
something of similar nature
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 05:15:17 PM by Uncle Jimbo »
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 05:27:57 PM »
Just be advised that Bubs uses very different criteria than SCTA events do for leathers so if you plan on maybe one day participtaing in SCTA events you should plan on getting leathers made to their specs not Bubs. SCTA leathers are legal for Bubs but many Bubs legal leathers are not legal for SCTA.

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 07:00:48 PM »
Here's my usual comments about Z Custom leathers:  They do advertise on this site, and they offer a 10% discount on a full suit if you mention the ad.  Their suits aren't as expensive as the word "custom" might imply.  They aren't cheap -- but a good suit can be had for $1000 - a suit that'll fit perfectly 'cause you measure yourself (well, perfectly if you know how to get the right numbers :-D) and they build to those.  Custom designs and colors aren't expensive - some are free.  Tell them "no holes" for Bonneville and they'll make them legal for all of the sanctioning organizations.  Nancy and I both wear Z suits and the fit and finish is dandy.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 09:54:06 PM »
I don't know about leathers, but both of yours look great to me.  Now if you could just have them extended over your hands . . .
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Racerwrtr

• New folks
    • The Velocity Workshop
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 11:10:32 AM »
Thanks for the input-- It still seems difficult to figure out exactly what a manufacturer says in their specs (perforated leather, stretch panels, etc.).

For example, does this seem like it would be legal:

Pure leather suits for both men women. Ultimate in design, technology and protection at unbelievable price. Made of really heavy 1.4mm leather, styling, flexibility and comfort makes riding enjoyable for rider.

Features:

Zippered sleeves and ankles , Mesh Liner , Double stitching and YKK zippers
GP type Duel density removable armors in shoulders, elbows, spine and knee areas.
Leather stretch panels on shoulder blades, belly, elbows, lower back and knees.
Double layer of leather on shoulders and hips areas and foam is built into shoulders, elbows and knees areas with.
Full motion arm system. Very luxury no restriction collar and hump.
Removable hard plastic, impact resistant, shin plate/coverings for shin protection.
Velcro knee patches included to accept knee sliders at desired position.

The pictures don't show any perforations on the chest at least, and they don't mention "kevlar stretch panels" the way may suit manufacturers do. Thoughts?

kevin

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 11:23:18 AM »
If by "leather stretch panels" they mean pleated, accordian style leather, then that will be OK. Just watch out for any stretch panels that may be that black mesh-ey stretchy stuff. That will not pass if there is too much of it. As others have said, it is best to get leathers that will meet both SCTA-type rules and AMA rules. SCTA rules say 100% leather. Some leather seamstresses will put the stretch mesh behind the knee and under arms. That is not OK. Call or write that vendor and see if there are any places they put the mesh.
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 11:54:22 AM »
Keep in mind the hump is only legal for PS class in SCTA. Don't remember what BUB has to say about it...
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline Racerwrtr

• New folks
    • The Velocity Workshop
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 06:53:23 PM »
The "stretch panels" were sewn in mesh-- thanks for the heads-up on that--the search continues!

Offline summer heat

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 02:02:06 PM »
racerwrtr - I purchased from topgearleathers to run in Bubs last year.  Racing line meets bubs, full wrap zipper to be one piece.  Was very pleased with quality and fit.  Wear jacket often just riding around.

Offline Racerwrtr

• New folks
    • The Velocity Workshop
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 03:39:35 PM »
Do you happen to know which suit from topgearleathers you ordered? They list a bunch of them and they don't all appear to meet the rules. Thanks in advance!

Offline Racerwrtr

• New folks
    • The Velocity Workshop
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 05:59:15 PM »
Topgearleathers answered my query by saying that models 333 and 336 would meet the rules. Both of these are two-piece suits, number 336 has armor, but seems to have more "stretch" panels... I feel like I am getting closer, but still not sure which one to pull the trigger on...

kevin

Offline summer heat

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 03:16:14 PM »
voted in by my daughter :) I orderd
http://www.topgearleather.com/product/340/X-MEN-Motorcycle-Leather-Suit-2-pc-Racing-Suit.html

Body armor / and zipped venting for non salt riding

Offline Bloodrod

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 10:58:07 AM »
Hello,

I will compete this summer in the 1000-APS-AG class, please see my post on the introduse yourself topic.

I have a question regarding the leather suit. In France, it's difficult to find suit made for land speed record.
I have a Dainese Team suit (with many perforation) for track day : http://www.dainese.com/us_en/motorbike/t-team-p-estiva.html?cat=9
A friend can borrow me another Dainese suit : Trickster evo (with less perforation) : www.dainese.com/us_en/motorbike/t-trickster-evo-p-estiva.html?cat=9

Please can you say me if somebody compete with 1 piece Dainese leather suit during the BUB ?

Thank you very much for your help.
Laurent

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 12:00:18 PM »
Laurent - I have never used a Dainese suit before, maybe others will chime in to tell you if theirs passed inspection. The BUB rule is that perforations and Kevlar vent material can only be in the non-critical areas. Then the rules go on to say that non critical areas are knees, elbows, forearms, shoulders. It looks from the photo that those areas are covered.

It would not hurt to send your question to the BUB scrutineers. There are email links on the BUB web site.

Good Luck,
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer