Author Topic: Spoiler rule clarification for Altered Coupe Class (FALT)  (Read 5123 times)

Offline DKrause615

Spoiler rule clarification for Altered Coupe Class (FALT)
« on: April 16, 2011, 07:11:21 AM »
I ran a 2000 Mustang Cobra R in the C/FALT class last year.  This car was a limited production run, and came with  o.e.m. front and rear spoilers.  For competition last year, I removed the tall factory rear spoiler and built a spoiler design #1 as illustrated in 4.CC.6.

The stock rear spoiler was very unique, in that it was trunk mounted and stands up very tall similar to the old Plymouth Superbirds.

I am trying to attach a photo.  I have no idea how effective the factory spoiler might be, but I have seen similar appearing spoilers on SCTA unlimited (GTU) sports cars. 

For 2011 I would like to do some aero testing and see which spoiler design, #1, #2 or factory works best on my car. 

My question is,  IS THE OFACTORY SPOILER LEGAL?  The rule book doesn't say you can't run stock spoilers?

I'm having trouble getting the photo to attach, sorry.   :?

Offline dw230

Re: Spoiler rule clarification for Altered Coupe Class (FALT)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 11:18:42 AM »
I'm on the wrong computer so I can't cut & paste the rule but, what you show is defined as a wing and not a spoiler. See section 4.CC.8, both designs state that a spoiler is a single surface.

Now the good news, section 4.CC.12 tells us that an OEM wing can be used on a production body. Section 4.KK allows for OEM body kits. However, if using the body kit ALL pieces must be used.

Sometimes I think that OEM decal and add ons are not as effective as a well designed and fabricated spoiler might be. A word of caution, in the speed range you have to run, 250 MPH, I think that design one would be the one to use. Witness the Stringfellow & Kirk, Danny Thompson accidents last year.

DW
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 11:20:45 AM by dw230 »
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 11:58:52 AM »
 :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 12:47:46 PM »
  Dan, thanx again for stepping up to the plate.  Your input is greatly appreciated by us Mortal's, even if it's not what we want to hear.....................
                                                         :-D  Bob   :cheers:
Bob Drury

Offline DKrause615

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 10:33:29 AM »
DW230, thanks for the response.  I was happy with the stability of my car last year with the design #1 spoiler.  I'm the engineering type that just can't stop tinkering to seek improvements.

My 2010 rulebook has no section 4.CC.12.  It only goes to 4.CC.9.  And I am unable to refer to section 4.KK as the 2010 rulebook stops at 4.JJ. 

I appreciate your word of caution.  My design #1 spoiler is on a piano hinge which would fold over the trunk if the car were to go into a 180 spin.  It is my opinion (but without proof) that this design would prevent a gar from getting airborne in a 180 spin.

Attached is a photo of my car going through tech last year showing a pretty good view of the spoiler.

I would appreciate any additional dialogue on this subject.

Offline dw230

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 12:34:38 PM »
As a layman I agree with your assement on the design one spoiler and high speed spins. When I get to use the other computer I will cut & paste the sections from the 2011 rulebook.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 01:37:34 PM »
That is a good choice of spoiler!  Those spill plates will help keep you straight.  After using this design on our car, I was amazed that when I got sideways at Elmo that I got straight faster than the previous spoiler and was able to continue down a loose corse. :cheers:

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 11:41:28 PM »
Race car #309, your a very smart to use the Type 1 design for your spoiler, especially with the hinge in the design and yes this should offer you more safety if you spin!! Also it very legal!! I would hope that other racers in the Altered Class will follow your design.
Take care, Dave  :cheers:
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline dw230

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 12:42:16 PM »
As promised, here are the sections I referred to in post #2, from the 2011 rulebook.

4.CC   STREAMLINING:
Any device which has the apparent purpose of directing, limiting, or controlling air flow around or within the car and is not a part of the original body will be considered as streamlining.
Removal of certain devices may also be considered streamlining; axle and header configuration will not. Any streamlining devices will be considered as part of the body for classification purposes, see 2.J. The types of streamlining devices listed below are allowed in some classes:

4.CC.8     Spoiler:
A device on the upper portion of the body for the purpose of spoiling lift. The spoiler shall be mounted in the rear portion of the body behind the rear axle centerline. Two different designs can be used but not mixed together, see Figures 9 and 10.

Design one-
The spoiler must have a single surface no wider than the outside edge of the rear tires. The maximum chord measured on the top surface at the center of the car can be 10 in.. A 1 in. tab or hinge can be added to the leading edge of the spoiler for mounting purposes only. A spill plate on each side of the spoiler is allowed and must be flat on both sides and parallel to each other vertically and horizontally. It can extend forward to the rear axle centerline.  Spill plates are allowed to be 8 in. above and below the forward mounted position of the spoiler when laid flat and extend 2 in. max. past the end of the spoiler. No appendages or holes that direct air are allowed on/in the spill plates. Gurney flaps are allowed but cannot extend above or behind the spill plates. The spoiler is allowed to fill in the horizontal gap between the leading edge of the spoiler and the body with a plate no farther forward than the centerline of the rear axle.
Insert Fig 9(same as 2010)
Design two-
The spoiler must have a single surface with no side plates. Maximum spoiler chord measured on the top surface is 10 in. from the trailing edge of the body. A 1 in. tab can be added to the leading edge of the spoiler for mounting purposes only. The ends of the spoiler must follow the contour of the body and shall not extend beyond the outside edges of the body at any point. When laid flat the width of the spoiler can be a maximum of 16 in. wider than the outside plane of the rear tires. No other aero devices or Gurney Flap are allowed with this design.
Insert Fig 10(same as 2010)

4.CC.12      Wings:
Wings are a special class of aerodynamic devices intended to provide down-force, which are allowed ONLY on Streamliners, Lakesters, Modified Roadsters and Production bodies which had the wing as an option. For classification purposes, the wing is not considered as part of the body.

4.KK   OEM Body Kit:
Body kits produced by a recognized automobile manufacturer for a specific year vehicle must be used as a complete package. 500 kits for the same model were/are required to be for sale to the general public meets the production requirements. Mixing and matching pieces from different years or not using the complete kit will be considered streamlining.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline DKrause615

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 12:51:33 PM »
Looks like spoiler design#1 is the way to go.  I may limit my testing this year to the height of the gurney flap.  The spoiler is also about 6" narrower than the rules allow.  I may rebuild it to maximise the legal width.

I got some great comments and help on this post.  Thanks to all who replyed, and as always any further thoughts are welcome.

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 07:19:10 PM »
Since we are now talking about a hinged aerodynamic surface it might be interesting to Google "aircraft flutter". Granted this an aircraft phenomena but usually LSR devices are not hinged. If you are creating a movable surface you might find “flutter” an interesting topic. I realize the hinge is for safety. A little flutter research might be useful.

http://www.giantscaleplanes.com/flutter.htm