Author Topic: Where would I start???  (Read 6853 times)

gt_diesel

Where would I start???
« on: April 04, 2011, 04:27:01 PM »
I am thinking about bringing my car up to the land speed race up there at Loring... I was doing a little bit of research and saw that some people can start out at 150mph depending on their license. Is this correct? I also see that after a certain speed, you need two 5# fire bottles... My car currently has a single 10#, would this meet the intent of the rules?

I would not be looking to run any particular "class" but would be more interested in just going up and trying for the overall speed record for the facility.  :wink:

Any info would be much appreciated...

gt_diesel

Re: Where would I start???
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 04:48:39 PM »
Also, what is the overall record... I saw something about a bike doing over 270?

That would be a lot of passes... lol.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 11:34:49 PM »
gt, where is your 10 lbs directed. I suspect the rules say 5 for driver and 5 for engine up to 200 MPH, then you might need more.  There are probably cage and parachute requirements you might want to ask about.  Got a rule book?
Good luck
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

gt_diesel

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 06:10:45 AM »
I will have to find myself a rule book... 5# is directed to the driver, the other 5# is directed to the engine...

I meet the fire suit reqirements, tire requirements, and all that stuff... My chassis is all Chromoly which usually isnt used for Land Speed Racing, but I do know of a similar car to mine being allowed to run at two other LSR races.

My other big thing would be how many passes I would need to make...

If everything ran smoothly, I am pretty certain my little Dodge Avenger could hit well over 300 miles per hour in that distance...

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 07:04:05 AM »
Steve Van Blarcom is the chief car tech. You can contact him via e-mail

badcoupe34@sbcglobal.net

licensing starts with 125 mph pass.   Based on the last two years entries, you should get enough passes. If you want to jump start your license you could take the car to Maxton. There are 2 ECTA events before Loring.

Joe

gt_diesel

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 07:33:52 AM »
From what I hear, Maxton has a pretty short shut down area, and isnt the smoothest track. My car is un-sprung, so a glass smooth track is a priority... I would also be working around my drag schedule.

I will have to check with the guy about tech... I think this could be a fun time...

I wonder if my IHRA and NHRA license will count toward anything... Ten 1.5 mile passes is a lot of fuel and maintenance.

I would also be curious to know how licensing would work where I do not have a way to tell how fast I am going...

Offline tedgram

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 09:27:19 AM »
You should be able to get close to your speed by knowing rpm, tire size, and gearing. You are allowed a 9 mph window for your license steps. I think your other license's would let you jump a couple of steps.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 09:29:36 AM by tedgram »

Offline Dreamweaver

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 09:51:50 AM »
GT, a definite yes on getting a rulebook, LSR venues seem to have higher cage requirements than most NHRA stuff especially if you expect to run 300mph in the mile.

gt_diesel

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 10:31:41 AM »
I know they ran a car with the same cage specs as mine at the Texas Mile... I dont know if they gave him a rule exception, or if it met the requirements.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 10:39:02 AM »
Texas rules are a lot different than ECTA.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 10:43:27 AM »
What kind of vehicle are you running?

gt_diesel

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 10:48:12 AM »
I may not be able to run at all... What does the rule book say about Chromoly?

I am waiting to hear back from the tech guy to see what he has to say...

Hmmm, this could be dissapointing...

It would be cool to head up there and make a couple 300 mile per hour passes.

Car is a J-60 powered funny car.

gt_diesel

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 10:54:57 AM »

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 11:00:29 AM »
Chromoly shouldn't be a problem. :cheers:

McRat

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 11:02:47 AM »
I know when I did my cage (2008) the NHRA requirements had a thinner wall section permitted than SCTA LSR.  Since I wanted both stickers, I started with the LSR specs.  Which means I had to discard my "rollbar" instead of reusing it for the "cage".  Mine is chrome moly.