Author Topic: DT Air Dams.  (Read 17652 times)

Offline NathanStewart

Re: DT Air Dams.
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2011, 03:38:45 PM »
Man, one little word really changes things.  The previous wording said the air dams MAY extend straight downwards and obviously nothing can extend beyond the front contour of the bumper.  Perhaps going straight down is just the easiest thing to do thus the reason why a majority of the cars with air dams are like this.

I guess my point in saying that I'm surprised it hasn't been protested is that it's certainly a departure from the norm.  Not that it isn't legal, but it's different.  And I agree that it's very clean... maybe even too clean.  So clean that I've got to really dig through the wording of the rules to see for myself.  I'm not much for thinking out of the box truthfully and I guess I'm more of a traditionalist but perhaps the reason it hasn't been protested is because it is totally legal.  But I could certainly see a knee jerk reaction of saying "hey wait, that doesn't look like something that should be legal"... it just happened to me.  Kudos to you Pat.

But are air dams even allowed in DT?  I don't know what it says now for 2011 but it used to say something like "intended to represent a typical diesel pickup truck".  Again, maybe some tightening is needed, I dunno.

In searching for some DT images I came with this and got a good laugh:

The Rocket Ranger has a smoothed out stock front bumper (is that legal?) with a little air dam underneath it and the Banks truck has a one off front bumper with air vents (is that legal?), a giant non-stock bulbous hood (is that legal?), and a partial tube chassis (is that legal?).  Oh, and the exhaust exits up through the bed.  Now that I know is not legal.

One other thing I am sure of is that Mr. Cole is working hard at trying to get banned.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline BudJ63

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2011, 03:57:11 PM »
What does Cole's truck look like?

Offline dw230

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2011, 04:38:57 PM »
"Tony,  I am begining to suspect   that you are not a "ice chest" man   lol"

For those of you that do not know Tony, he is a short fella - maybe the camera can't point up any higher than his subject's uh ... oh never mind.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline dw230

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2011, 04:40:01 PM »
Nathan,

Good points on those pictured air dams. But, as with the exhaust exit thru the bed, that was then and this is now.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline dw230

« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2011, 04:49:07 PM »
For those who have yet to recieve thier 2011 rule book, this is what it says on the air dam subject. The air dam is allowed in Gas Coupe, Altered, Modified Pick Up and Diesel Truck classes.

SECTION 4   DEFINITIONS
The following is a list of terms used by the SCTA Contest Board and their meanings:

4.CC   STREAMLINING:
Any device which has the apparent purpose of directing, limiting, or controlling air flow around or within the car and is not a part of the original body will be considered as streamlining.
Removal of certain devices may also be considered streamlining; axle and header configuration will not. Any streamlining devices will be considered as part of the body for classification purposes, see 2.J. The types of streamlining devices listed below are allowed in some classes:

4.CC.1 Air Dams and Splitters:
OEM or fabricated devices installed below the front bumper used to inhibit and direct airflow from under the vehicle. An air dam may be attached to the leading edge of the bumper and not be considered to be extending forward of the front bumper so long as no point of the air dam projects more than 1/4" forward of the original contour of the leading edge of the front bumper when viewed from above.
Air dams and splitters can be set inward from the front bumper but cannot extend above or beyond the original contour of the leading edge and sides of the front bumper, see 4.JJ. Air dams and splitters can extend rearward to the leading edge of the front wheel well. Splitters are allowed as long as they follow the same contours requirements as an air dam. Bodies cannot be cut away to accommodate air dams or splitters.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth