Author Topic: DT Air Dams.  (Read 17645 times)

Offline JR529

Re: DT Air Dams.
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2011, 02:45:43 PM »
Just submit the pics to the rules questions email link on the scta-bni.org website and be done with it. That assumes that you guys actually want an answer to this question. If I am wrong and you guys just like to argue then by all means carry on.
 :-D

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2011, 03:00:19 PM »
Is it time to block this one as well. Pissing contest don't get better and makes people leave the web site because of them. PM each other and go thru the rules and regs. on the SCTA web site. They are the rules makers.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2011, 03:02:10 PM »
If you really want to pick the fly Subaru out of the pepper, the only problem I see with Mcrats truck is the bumper is not mounted in the stock location. In pictures it appears to be lowered which would violate "panels in stock location" rule.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 03:07:22 PM by thundersalt »
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Dreamweaver

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2011, 03:15:53 PM »
I dont think the "comaprison" truck is a 2005 GMC.

If you look at a 2005 GMC bumper, which I assume is the chrome bit, is separated from the grill opening by a black filler strip of some sort ~2-3 inches wide as on Casper.

No dog in the hunt as they say but someone does seem to have an axe to grind, maybe he should have protested it in impound rather than on an internet forum.

"As far as cheating goes, they’ll never stop it. The only way it can be done successfully, only one person can know about it. – Smokey Yunick"

Offline jb2

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2011, 03:17:24 PM »
Steve is just here to attack, I put him on ignore as it is old now.  

How you interpret rules can be enjoyable.  If Smokey Yunick was still with us you could ask him.  

It is the same argument and attack if you ask me.  What part is the bumper and what part is the fascia?  Protest it to answer your question.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2011, 05:13:23 PM »
Its a simple solution, if you don't like a certain element of a racers car/truck just file a protest.  But in my opinion there is no sport in filing for a possible air dam violation. Just work harder to get your rig to go faster.  :roll: Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2011, 09:53:50 PM »
yea,geez let it go or grow a pair and file a protest. ya need some cheeze with that. dang
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2011, 01:17:05 AM »
Ah ha, I found it!

I knew something was askew while I was looking through last years rule book.  For a long time there was no info regarding splitters in the rules.  Well, in 2009 that changed.  Prior to 2009, the rules used to say that an air dam was supposed to extend STRAIGHT down.  I think this is the main reason why all the photos I posted are of air dams that do in fact go straight down.  Well in 2009 the part about an air dam extending straight down was left out for whatever reason.  I don't think the rule changed and I think they are in fact supposed to still extend straight down but it obviously doesn't say that any more.   :roll:

Am I wrong in saying that the air dam in question extends downward and then rolls under?

Is there a bumper bar behind all that white and chrome business on a stock truck?  If so, then according to the SCTA definition, which says that a bumper is metal, all that that is covering the bumper bar is a fascia and considered to be part of the body.  I don't think that little strip of chrome is actually the bumper.  The whole white and chrome thing combined is either the bumper itself or it's a bumper cover.  I couldn't find any pics of a Duramax with the front bumper removed to verify and I don't know anyone that'll let me take off their bumper to check. 

Have any pics of a bumper-less Duramax? 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2011, 01:40:10 AM »
My airdam is much larger than the factory piece, and it's purpose it to keep the nose down at high speed, by restricting the airflow under the truck.

The fact that the truck weighs nearly 10,000 lbs doesn't help keep the nose down enough already?   :-D

I see two separate devices here.  I think the point of an air dam is to reduce drag (and ultimately increase top speed) by preventing air from going under the vehicle.  I think your splitter is more likely to create down force on the front end.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2011, 08:20:04 AM »
Tony
After very, very carefully scrutinizing your avatars, I don't think your "ONLY" a roadster guy. No offense intended, keep them coming.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2011, 11:44:10 AM »
Tony
After very, very carefully scrutinizing your avatars, I don't think your "ONLY" a roadster guy. No offense intended, keep them coming.

Ron

:-D :-D :-D Some people go to the races just to see the cars and bikes.  Tony
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 11:46:57 AM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2011, 01:24:04 PM »
Tony,  I am begining to suspect  :evil: that you are not a "ice chest" man  :roll: lol
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2011, 01:52:20 PM »
Tony,  I am begining to suspect  :evil: that you are not a "ice chest" man  :roll: lol

And that is the sound of the hammer hitting the nail on the head so to speak!

:-D
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2011, 03:10:11 PM »

Am I wrong in saying that the air dam in question extends downward and then rolls under?

Nathan,

If you magnify the picture, the air dam not only rolls down but has a flat plate (Nascar type) under that.
Just an observation.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2011, 03:16:48 PM »
That Tom G is an observant son-of-a-gun!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records