Author Topic: DT Air Dams.  (Read 17650 times)

McRat

Re: DT Air Dams.
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 02:11:17 AM »
Thanks for the pics.   :cheers:

The red Mustang would not be legal, the splitter goes in the front of the bumper contour.

When I get to my truck, I will take more detailed pics. 

The bumper is steel, and the airdam bolts up to it, which is plastic, fiberglass, and aluminum.  It was "made pretty" to keep the original look of the truck.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 08:51:03 AM »
If you study the pic of the truck, the dam is spot on with the rules. Creativity and innovation. I don't think the rules say anything about a big hunk of alum. with Dzus fasteners and duct tape as part of the requirements.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 09:10:39 AM »
Now we are getting some place!

Nathan thanks for posting---this was the motivation of my original post---I think there should be some attention to Diesel Truck rules---you said it much better than I.

I also think  :-P the Mustang has a splitter that does not comply.

4CC.1 "Splitters are allowed as long as they follow the same contours requirements as an air dam. Boddies cannot be cut away to accommodate air dams or splitters".
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 09:24:30 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 09:48:55 AM »
McRat,
Your problem is that your air dam looks factory made, it looks to nice! You need to at least paint is an aluminum color and maybe you could have some one air brush some diamond plate on it.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 10:07:34 AM »
LOL  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 10:09:21 AM »
I am very familiar with the factory bumpers and facia on that truck,, I think that is the best looking truck air dam I have ever seen.  It sure looks legal, but looks maybe to good.. LOL...

When folks see how it looks with the air dam removed then put back on they should see it meets the rules.

But who am I ?  Not an inspector on the salt !!!  so my thought count for nothing except admiration for good clean work on that air dam.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline BudJ63

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 10:32:22 AM »
Hmmm  Looks good!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 10:34:56 AM by BudJ63 »

Offline Steve Cole

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, 11:23:28 AM »
Hmmm  Looks good!

So now that there is a picture of a stock truck fascia and the McSwain version.
The stock one has TWO grille openings and McSwain's has none that just by itself is a rule violation.
The stock one has provisions for TWO lights that came on all GMC trucks of his year and model McSwains has none, another violation.
The stock fascia is part of the wheel wheel opening on both sides of the truck as is McSwains but his is 4" lower and a 1/2" reward of original location, another violation

So the DT rule reads

"5.F.4 Diesel Truck-/DT

The body shall remain unaltered in height, width and contour, with all stock panels mounted in original relationship to each other."

So the McSwain fashia alters the height, alters the width, alters the contour, alters the wheel well opening and alters the original relationship to the other body parts. Now how could anyone say it's legal for DT?

Offline Steve Cole

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2011, 11:37:03 AM »
Our air dam has been questioned publically in another thread, and on other websites (as somebody pointed out to me).  I didn't want to hijack the thread in progress any further, so I started this thread.  Ignoring all the insults, here is what is going on with our airdam:

DT doesn't specify anything about airdams, nor does it specify engine swaps either, or streamlining for that matter.  In fact, DT rules are a "short" chapter that rely on Gas Coupe for the particulars.

While DT does say all the original body panels must be used, and with the proper orientation, so does Gas Coupe.

It is Gas Coupe that permits engine swaps, and outlaws streamlining for DT, so as far as body issues go, I read that DT = GC unless otherwise specified.

It is Gas Coupe that permits air dams,  5.D.3 para 9 = "Airdams are allowed but shall not cover the original grill opening".  But even that is only a partial description, for the full story, you need 4.CC.1 Air Dams and Splitters = "OEM or fabricated devices installed BELOW THE FRONT BUMPER used to inhibit and direct airflow from under the vehicle.  Air Dams and splitters can be set inward from the front bumper but cannot extend above or beyond the original contour of the leading edge and sides of the front bumper (see 4.JJ for bumper).  Both can extend rearward to the leading edge of the front wheelwell.  Splitters are allowed as long as they follow the same contours requirements as an airdam.  Bodies cannot be cut away to accomodate  airdams or splitters."

These are the rules I followed after asking about it, and after looking at GC entries.  I didn't alter the height or width or length of the body, I didn't block the grill, I followed the body and wheel wells, and didn't make any changes that went past the the front bumper contour.  I did not alter the front quarter panels, nor did I close up any body gaps, which would be streamlining.  And there is a splitter on the bottom that both strengthens the air dam, and splits the air, which is the same contour as the front bumper, but set back.  It is a fabricated piece.

Pat

See your above statement and the rule that I put in bold and red then look at any picture of your truck! You eliminated TWO grille openings and TWO light openings for starters and the part you replaced is not an air dam but a body panel! An air dam would be attached to the bottom of the body panel you removed.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2011, 12:08:24 PM »
What I and almost everyone else on earth would call the grill is above the bumper and is not blocked off. When I say the picture I could not believe that is what all the fuss is about. But if you believe you have a real complaint, have you taken it up with the board? Has there been a ruling? Were you able to accept the ruling?

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2011, 12:40:40 PM »
I am I glad I am a roadster guy.  :mrgreen: Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

McRat

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 12:53:51 PM »
I am I glad I am a roadster guy.  :mrgreen: Tony

A roadster is looking and better each day.   :-D

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 12:53:59 PM »
The picture of the 04 GMC for comparison "may not be fair" as that grill is a "upgrade"  as I recall...not all 04's came with that facia...

If Casper is a base model then it probably did  not have had the fancy bumper cover with fog lights.  

Also The openings above the bumper are Grill openings,,, the ones below are bumper or facia openings.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

McRat

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2011, 12:54:15 PM »
What I and almost everyone else on earth would call the grill is above the bumper and is not blocked off. When I say the picture I could not believe that is what all the fuss is about. But if you believe you have a real complaint, have you taken it up with the board? Has there been a ruling? Were you able to accept the ruling?

There is no grill below the bumper, there is a rectangular indention in the center (blocked) that supports the OEM factory piece, which does not appear on Chevrolet model.  There are 3 grill openings, two in OEM factory bumper, and the conventional grill above the bumper.

There are 2 recovery hook holes, and 2 optional foglights.

AFAIK, the rules are to keep you from cutting down on the radiator opening to get an advantage.  My airdam is much larger than the factory piece, and it's purpose it to keep the nose down at high speed, by restricting the airflow under the truck.

But Steve Cole knows all this because while he doesn't race, he does have 3 Duramaxes.  His intentions are questionable.

At this point I need to leave this thread, because what happens next is Steve Cole starts throwing personal insults around in an effort to get the thread locked, or me to lose my temper.  He's been doing this since about 2002? on various car and truck sites to dozens of racers who don't run his parts.

In parting:  Steve, when you finish my ashtray, call me.   :cheers:

Offline Steve Cole

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2011, 02:40:15 PM »

There is no grill below the bumper, there is a rectangular indention in the center (blocked) that supports the OEM factory piece, which does not appear on Chevrolet model.  There are 3 grill openings, two in OEM factory bumper, and the conventional grill above the bumper.

There are 2 recovery hook holes, and 2 optional foglights.

AFAIK, the rules are to keep you from cutting down on the radiator opening to get an advantage.  My airdam is much larger than the factory piece, and it's purpose it to keep the nose down at high speed, by restricting the airflow under the truck.

But Steve Cole knows all this because while he doesn't race, he does have 3 Duramaxes.  His intentions are questionable.

At this point I need to leave this thread, because what happens next is Steve Cole starts throwing personal insults around in an effort to get the thread locked, or me to lose my temper.  He's been doing this since about 2002? on various car and truck sites to dozens of racers who don't run his parts.

In parting:  Steve, when you finish my ashtray, call me.   :cheers:

ALL GMC pickup models of the year in question came with the same front fascia. They all have the center opening (22 1/2" x 2 1/2") to feed air to the radiator and transmission cooler. As a matter of fact there are plastic parts that fit behind this opening to direct the air to the radiator and cooler as well. This opening has never been blocked off by the factory on any GMC model pickup. Pat blocked this opening off in his along with the recover hook openings and fog light openings. The fog lights and there openings are also there stock on ALL GMC models. These are NOT options and are standard equipment on ALL GMC's.

Now if Pat admits that the rules are to keep you from cutting down the opening to the radiator, he has also just admitted that his truck is illegal, as removing just the entire center opening is just that!

The front fascia and bumper on the Chevy version is completely different as are the front fenders, hood and doors.

As for the rest of Pat's rambling I just do not care but we are to ALL follow the rules, even Pat, not just the ones we want to follow.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 02:45:36 PM by Steve Cole »