Author Topic: DT Air Dams.  (Read 17644 times)

McRat

DT Air Dams.
« on: April 03, 2011, 06:10:03 PM »
Our air dam has been questioned publically in another thread, and on other websites (as somebody pointed out to me).  I didn't want to hijack the thread in progress any further, so I started this thread.  Ignoring all the insults, here is what is going on with our airdam:

DT doesn't specify anything about airdams, nor does it specify engine swaps either, or streamlining for that matter.  In fact, DT rules are a "short" chapter that rely on Gas Coupe for the particulars.

While DT does say all the original body panels must be used, and with the proper orientation, so does Gas Coupe.

It is Gas Coupe that permits engine swaps, and outlaws streamlining for DT, so as far as body issues go, I read that DT = GC unless otherwise specified.

It is Gas Coupe that permits air dams,  5.D.3 para 9 = "Airdams are allowed but shall not cover the original grill opening".  But even that is only a partial description, for the full story, you need 4.CC.1 Air Dams and Splitters = "OEM or fabricated devices installed BELOW THE FRONT BUMPER used to inhibit and direct airflow from under the vehicle.  Air Dams and splitters can be set inward from the front bumper but cannot extend above or beyond the original contour of the leading edge and sides of the front bumper (see 4.JJ for bumper).  Both can extend rearward to the leading edge of the front wheelwell.  Splitters are allowed as long as they follow the same contours requirements as an airdam.  Bodies cannot be cut away to accomodate  airdams or splitters."

These are the rules I followed after asking about it, and after looking at GC entries.  I didn't alter the height or width or length of the body, I didn't block the grill, I followed the body and wheel wells, and didn't make any changes that went past the the front bumper contour.  I did not alter the front quarter panels, nor did I close up any body gaps, which would be streamlining.  And there is a splitter on the bottom that both strengthens the air dam, and splits the air, which is the same contour as the front bumper, but set back.  It is a fabricated piece.

That's the way I read the book, and everyone I've asked who is knowledgable about SCTA LSR has agreed so far.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 06:31:55 PM by McRat »

Offline krusty

Re: DT Air Dams.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 04:32:10 PM »

112 views and no one has commented - looks like folks must agree with your understanding of the rule(s).  I have no dog in this fight, but I appreciate your careful explanation of your rule-reading and the construction of your air dam.     vic

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 05:41:40 PM »
How about a picture?
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

McRat

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 07:34:33 PM »
How about a picture?

There is a side shot in the 2010 rulebook in the DT chapter.  I'll find a front shot. 

Casper is at Mike L's right now getting some goodies. :evil:

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 08:36:04 PM »
I am with Vic's comments

I read the rules just as McRat and feel the air dam is legal.

Keep us posted

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

McRat

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 09:45:27 PM »
Here is a front shot (photo credit, Jen):

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 10:41:33 PM »
That definitely isn't hidden and anyone who thought it was illegal should have protested. Looks good to me!

Pete

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 01:07:04 AM »
Well if it hasn't been protested yet I'm willing to bet that it will be now.  THAT in my eyes doesn't meet the requirements of the rule.  Others (Banks for starters) got through with illegal front fascias/air dams but just because Racer X got through with illegal stuff doesn't now make it okay for Racer Y to do the same thing and think they're legal. 

IIRC, Banks was also the first to do the exhaust through the bed.  In the years after that it was like a freakin' exhaust-through-the-bed epidemic!  Every truck that rolled through had it and I always heard the same thing.... "Well Banks did it and they got through..."  As you all know it got so bad that they finally had to put it in writing - NO EXHAUST THROUGH THE BED!     

If this was an actual GC it would have been protested the second it came into impound by at least six different guys.

BTW this is just my $.02.  I don't want to get any more involved than that in any conversation regarding the DT class.

McRat

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 01:10:40 AM »
Well if it hasn't been protested yet I'm willing to bet that it will be now.  THAT in my eyes doesn't meet the requirements of the rule.  Others (Banks for starters) got through with illegal front fascias/air dams but just because Racer X got through with illegal stuff doesn't now make it okay for Racer Y to do the same thing and think they're legal.  

IIRC, Banks was also the first to do the exhaust through the bed.  In the years after that it was like a freakin' exhaust-through-the-bed epidemic!  Every truck that rolled through had it and I always heard the same thing.... "Well Banks did it and they got through..."  As you all know it got so bad that they finally had to put it in writing - NO EXHAUST THROUGH THE BED!    

If this was an actual GC it would have been protested the second it came into impound by at least six different guys.

BTW this is just my $.02.  I don't want to get any more involved than that in any conversation regarding the DT class.

What specifically is wrong with it?

No, my exhaust is not through the bed.  It exits where it interferes with the other racers in line, that is, in the rear.  Diesel smoke isn't loved by all.  :-D

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 01:15:53 AM by McRat »

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 01:11:23 AM »
I think the point that needs to be made is that the rules need to be tightened up some.  For a long time NOBODY ran DT (well hardly anybody at least) and the rules were just kinda "blah run whatever and make it kinda like GC".  Well now that there are more people running, the interpretation of the rules have gone every which way that can possibly be different.  I think the diesel classes could definitely use some touching up.

Shit, that's like $.03 now.  I better shut up.

McRat

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 01:27:36 AM »
I think the point that needs to be made is that the rules need to be tightened up some.  For a long time NOBODY ran DT (well hardly anybody at least) and the rules were just kinda "blah run whatever and make it kinda like GC".  Well now that there are more people running, the interpretation of the rules have gone every which way that can possibly be different.  I think the diesel classes could definitely use some touching up.

Subaru, that's like $.03 now.  I better shut up.

I don't mind "tightening the rules".  I still have to know what they are.  Educate me please.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 01:34:20 AM »
What specifically is wrong with it?

I think this is a good example of what your typical air dam looks like:

Air dam rule says that air dam should be installed below the front bumper.  CG rules say bumper shall be stock.  Is your front bumper stock?

McRat

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 01:49:30 AM »
Yes, 100% OEM front bumper with factory radiator opening in it, that I do not block.  The airdam modification begins ~4" below the top of the factory nose piece, under the bumper.  The "wrap around" on the ends of the bumper are OEM. 

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 01:52:14 AM »
More dams.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 02:03:02 AM »
It seems to me that in almost every instance I showed the air dam could be a removed and a normal bumper would still be in place.  Not saying that this is part of the rules... just making an observation.  It doesn't appear that you can remove the air dam from your bumper because it looks like your air dam IS the bumper. 

I'm up to $.04 now and that's more money than I have to spend on this subject.  I'm sticking to roadsters and special constructions cars.