Author Topic: Anyone recognize this older lakester??  (Read 18936 times)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: Anyone recognize this older lakester??
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 06:52:11 PM »
As of 7 April, the lakester sold for the desired $4500 and will be going to Puyallup Washington.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline desotoman

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 10:07:30 PM »
Mike,

I am happy Glenn sold the car. It needs to be restored, as IMO it will take too much work and money to to make it a legal race car again. Thanks for the update.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 11:25:47 PM »
4BM, Do you know if the new owner intends on trying to make it legal eagle and race it again?

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 12:52:22 AM »
No idea.  We (V4 types) have an informal meeting at a shop once a month on 1st Thursday (some wives may be doing some cultural stuff elsewhere  :mrgreen: ).  Bruce Geisler is often there.

When talk went to the swap, Bruce's ears really perked up: "Mel Hoy!  Mel gave me a big stack of Dzus tools.  I still have a lot of them."

Friday (today) at gearhead breakfast, Bruce says, "I called Glenn last night.  It's sold, etc..."  Turns out that several local hot-rod types knew about the car for years ("looked like a POS") and thought that Glenn had died years ago.  <shrug>

Car is still there.  Bruce and company are going to look at it Monday (?).

I think that Bruce would like to have it.  He has a nice static hemi with cool LSR stuff sitting in his shop up here.

Lots of speculation by me sitting, on Friday eve, listening to Mississippi Fred McDowell while trying to type on the gawd-forsaken laptop keyboard.

If I learn anything more, I'll post it here.

Mike

Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline BEN1

• New folks
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2011, 01:04:45 AM »
I have recently talked to the current owner of this Lakester.  He acquired it in a trade, and intends to offer it for sale in the near future.  He has no internet capability, and has asked me to establish contact with the LSR community. 
Please Email me at:  benrrc1@surewest.net, if you are seriously interested.  Also, any additional historical info or photos would be appreciated.  If anyone knows the current location of the noted missing parts, ie: nose cone, canopy, that would help any future restoration.  We would like to pass on to the new owner as much material as possible.
Ben (Gear Grinders):cheers:

Offline dw230

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2011, 09:32:46 AM »
A real racer, buy a car only to flip it. Drives a Prius I would guess.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Tman

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2011, 10:27:17 AM »

DW

Ya ever notice the Pius drivers are always running 5-10 OVER the speed limit!?!?!

Offline joea

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2011, 10:31:37 AM »
..i do notice that they (and subaru owners) are heavy on the "vote Obama"
stickers....

Offline Tman

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2011, 10:34:53 AM »
..i do notice that they (and subaru owners) are heavy on the "vote Obama"
stickers....

I always gotta see who is driving those things just so I know what stupid looks like. :-D

Offline martysmilt

• New folks
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2011, 01:18:19 PM »
Geezzz you guys are kinda harsh!  But you are correct in every detail  :-D

Offline BEN1

• New folks
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2011, 12:40:52 AM »
Actually, the older gentleman was driving a 3/4 ton GMC I believe.  He acquired the Lakester as a portion of the payment in a swap for multiple US Military vehicles he had restored, and was only reluctantly parting with.  His passion is military vehicle history, completing the restoration of his 29 Studebaker, and teaching his grandchildren about his extensive collection of artifacts of American manufacturing (maybe hoping some of them will value it as he does). 

I was asked to help him get the car back into the hands of someone who has the knowledge and resources prevent it from just disappearing as have so many old Lakes cars - hardly a "flip".  We do not yet have an idea of what it would take to buy it.  He obviously has something invested in it and would like fair value.  Those issues would be worked out directly with the owner if anyone is interested.

Rushing to judgment can sometimes lead to wrong conclusions.

Ben York, Driver
Blanchard - Bacik - York  B/BGL Lakester

Offline Tman

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2011, 12:17:27 PM »
Lighten up Francis......I mean Ben.  :-D We are just having a little fun with the  topic.  :-)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2011, 12:41:23 PM »
- hardly a "flip".  We do not yet have an idea of what it would take to buy it.  He obviously has something invested in it and would like fair value. 

The asking price in April was $4500 OBO.  Sounds like someone is flipping or has flipped it.

Mike

Offline rrcben

• New folks
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2011, 12:57:14 PM »
I got the impression that there has been at least one other person between the Portland Swap Meet in April, and the present owner.  He acquired it within the last 30 days.   Tman - I'm light  :-)(I've lost so much weight we may have to add ballast) :-D.  I just wanted to fully explain the situation. 
I had not heard of the car or the Hoy brothers until this man contacted me.  I can't really say anything about the significance of this car, but it is at least 40 years old, and lakester speeds around 300 in the early 70's sounded impressive.

ben1

Offline saltracer1

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2011, 08:16:11 AM »

DW

Ya ever notice the Pius drivers are always running 5-10 OVER the speed limit!?!?!

Hey! I resemble that remark!

What you can't see in the picture is the Flathead Ford motor loaded in the "trunk" heading for the machine shop. Phil