Author Topic: Record's and Cash.................  (Read 25696 times)

Offline Steve Cole

Re: Record's and Cash.................
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2011, 09:53:54 PM »
I've been reading this for awhile and wanted you all to think about what Bonneville really is. Each and every time I've gone over the last 30 odd years it's a bunch of people out having a good time doing what they love............... going fast. George, Ron and Kenny  (Speed Demon) are no different. I think it was three years back I watch the Speed Demon burn up on a pass (oil fire) while we were working in the pits right next to them. I had been doing some re-glass work on the belly pan for the Mormon Missile as it got sucked down on the salt during our run. When the car came back to the pits there crew started tearing it apart and said we are going to see if we can get it back together before the meet is over. Well I think there was some crew from just about everyone pitted around them over helping as we all wants to see them get it done. I re-glass the part of the body for them that the fire burned up and shot it with a little rattle can paint and in 3 days the car was back together with everyone's help. As I recall they went out and set a record during that same meet!

Now the next year we were at the meet right next to them again and we made a record run and burned the side of the car from exhaust heat and the first ones over asking what could they do to help us was Ron, George and Kenny. They pulled there crew to work with us to get the car fixed so we could make the backup pass in time. Down to the wire but it gets out to the start line and just off the push bumper the driver hit's the throttle too hard and spins the car around a few times and off the track! All the crews around ran out to the car, pushed it out of the rough stuff, on to the track and back to the start line with 2 minutes left on the clock. This time the driver is light on the throttle and gets it down the track to set the world record for our class. None of this could have been done without the help of all of the other crews pushing a streamliner out of the rough and about 500 yards back to the start line. George, Ron and Kenny were part of the guys pushing! This is what Bonneville is all about and George, Ron and Kenny have been and are a big part of it. So when you think that money has something to do with it I think your looking the wrong way if you want to include these guys. While the big factory teams maybe different these guys are there just like any of the rest of us that scrape together what we can to go racing.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 09:59:32 PM by Steve Cole »

Offline Jorge

• "Foot on the gas till you see god then stop"
« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2011, 10:05:22 PM »
Jorge, what a decent avatar image you're using.  Great!!!

Ha! Thanks Slim!
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy $hit, what a ride!"

Offline Tman

« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2011, 12:47:36 AM »

« Reply #74 on: Today at 07:40:46 AM » Quote  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob, you are asking a good question.  My books about land speed racing in the early days show a young crowd having fun racing all sorts of street based stuff.  Most were blue collar working guys and gals.  Lately young people with jobs are lucky and good paying blue collar work is scarce.  It costs big money just to build a car and creating a record setting auto is beyond almost all people's budget, young or old.

There are a few good ideas at BUB that others could use.  There is no competition for total points at year's end.  This removes the incentive for fast people to sweep all of the classes they can enter and win.  This leaves more opportunities for other less talented racers to get records.  BUB also has coins for various speeds such as 100 mph, 150 mph, 200 mph, etc.  This gives a person something to take home after the meet in addition to a time slip.  It is sort of like the USFRA 130 and 150 clubs.  The rule changes are a bit more structured and sensible, too.  This is a big, big, deal for a low budget guy.

My feelings are that it is possible to have land speed racing events for lots of people who are not high rollers.  First, there needs to be something for them to win besides records.  Second, some limits need to be placed on the gifted so they do not grab everything.  Perhaps only being allowed to enter in one class per meet?  Third, rule changes need to be carefully done with as much advance notice as possible.  That is all I can think of for now.  I hope it helps.  

^^^^^^^^^^^^You mean dumboning down things so everyones a winner? Thats how liberals view the world :-D
I must have been drunk and did not type this reply very well. I dont believe what I typed. WTF? Over.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2011, 10:43:07 AM »
Dumboning is a word I am not familiar with. But I understand your drawing the line at "some limits need to be placed on the gifted " Not in my world. Sounds like something that would happen in an Ayn Rand novel.

Offline Tman

« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2011, 10:52:53 AM »
Dumboning is a word I am not familiar with. But I understand your drawing the line at "some limits need to be placed on the gifted " Not in my world. Sounds like something that would happen in an Ayn Rand novel.

I think it was a word Homer Simpson invented, seriously.

Going back to my last post, I see that I was replying to someone else now. I stand by my original words. Last night I was sure baffled by that reply which I now see was someone elses words!