Author Topic: pumping water with a fuel pump  (Read 48118 times)

Offline ONEBADBUG

• Gearheadscookbook
Re: pumping water with a fuel pump
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 08:28:23 PM »
I used a Carter fuel pump in a water cooling system for a portable diffusion pump but, after two pumps failed, I checked into the pump's construction and found that it was a type of pump that uses the fuel as a coolant for the motor. They circulate the fuel through the inside of the motor case as well as in the pump section so the water was actually being circulated in the pump. The 12V caused a small electric current to flow through the water (it actually had some ethylene glycol added) and this current eventually erroded the wire braid connection to the brushes. When the brush contact was eaten through, the pump stopped. Lesson learned!

Regards, Neil   Tucson, AZ

Exactly what I am wondering about, I know that most pumps work that way, and therefore will not work long term. I will let everyone know how my experiment goes.

Offline maj

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 05:26:20 AM »
How many cc/min are you needing ?
there are some small sureflow copys getting out there now that run at 80 psi and cost under $50 and run up to 4000cc/min
EG   http://cgi.ebay.com.au/12V-80PSI-Diaphragm-Water-Pressure-Pump-High-PSI-Model-/250799812994?pt=AU_Boat_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a64d57182

Offline ONEBADBUG

• Gearheadscookbook
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 10:35:17 PM »
 :lol: That's awesome!

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 05:39:57 PM »
Nope, a regular fuel pump will definitely not like water going through it.  I work for a company that makes a pretty affordable injection kit (not the company I was working at before).  I can get you a "racers discount".  Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Nate
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline zenndog

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2011, 01:56:59 PM »
I echo the comment, even without the race equip, how are most of those cars valued at $500? Is getting the car running not included in the total cost? Looks fun though.

Offline Ron Clevenger

• New folks
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 11:40:36 PM »
I've played around with water/meth injection for about 40+ years (designed and built my own systems). Currently run a system on my blown gas (40psi boost) that incorporates some of AIS http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/Water-Injection-Pump/c29/index.html parts.

If you really want the water/meth systems to be effective you need to get the pressure up around 200 psi and the nozzle design is very important for proper droplet design.

But I have used a electric fuel pump to circulate engine water (drag racing small extra time). But it does require faithful maintenance at the end of the day to keep it going. Blow water out of it and apply some WD-40 through it and it's ready to go the next day.

Hope this helps..................................Blessings..........Ron